Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by annekat View Post
    I go more by what I read here on the forum than by "literature", since I know the latter can be all over the place, depending on where you read, can be based on studies which may not represent an accurate cross section of the WG population, and can be overly alarmist. My sense is not that people with light involvement who flare will "usually" end up with lung or kidney problems at the 2-3 year mark. Some will. Many, or I would say most, will not. Or if they do, it may take a lot longer than 2-3 years. Everyone's case is different. If most "mild" WG sufferers did follow this scenario, I think we'd hearing about it a lot more than we have. This is not to overlook the unpredictability of WG or to hide from the fact that anything can happen at any time.
    I didn't mean that everyone who flares will end up with kidney failure, but that those who have the kidneys become involved usually end up with failure starting at the 2-3 year mark.
    I can't find the study that states this right now, but will post it when I find it.
    My mom's kidneys started to fail at the 3.5 year mark.

The whole point here is for people with vasculitis to be on their guard at this time frame to keep an eye on kidney function.
    Once we lose are kidneys, dialysis is not a great option, but if we can prevent kidney failure, this is the point.
    Last edited by mrtmeo; 10-22-2014 at 10:45 AM.