User Tag List

Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone on cellcept with an infection?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Anyone on cellcept with an infection?

My mom seems to have an infection and is on cellcept.
    She has a high WBC count and didn't have this before the cellcept.
    Was wondering if anyone has had an infection while on cellcept and what they did to resolve the infection.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is very strange.
    My mom was coughing up gold colored mucus when her WBC count was normal, but after starting the mofetil, her WBC went high.
    She also, has a slight temperature in the mornings when she takes the mofetil but it goes away in the evening.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am not on cellcept. But if I had to take a educated guess. The infection isn't so much a drug reaction. As a consequence of being on a immunosuppressant drug. The compromised immune system we tend to suffer often makes us more susceptible to infections and illness. All though I am confused by it going away in the evenings so it may be something completely different.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by chris.wg View Post
    I am not on cellcept. But if I had to take a educated guess. The infection isn't so much a drug reaction. As a consequence of being on a immunosuppressant drug. The compromised immune system we tend to suffer often makes us more susceptible to infections and illness. All though I am confused by it going away in the evenings so it may be something completely different.
    It's got me baffled as well.
    Hope the mofetil stops the vasculitis attacks and maybe her bad symptoms, including the cough, will go away.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cellcept usually takes a few weeks before being effective. Does she have any other signs of infection? I remember a few months before my diagnosis and treatment, daily spikes in temp was one of my symptoms. For a few hours each day I would have a raised temp in the afternoon and by the evening it would return to normal.....so that was the vasculitis causing the spikes in temp. How is her blood work? Any signs of improvement there? As I mentioned to you before some people do not respond to generic Cellcept. That is not to say that the brand (Roche) is guaranteed to work but there is a better chance of it working. I have never had a higher than normal WBC on Cellcept except when I have had a bout of diverticulitis and antibiotics took care of that.

Hope you get your answers soon

Rose

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rose View Post
    Cellcept usually takes a few weeks before being effective. Does she have any other signs of infection? I remember a few months before my diagnosis and treatment, daily spikes in temp was one of my symptoms. For a few hours each day I would have a raised temp in the afternoon and by the evening it would return to normal.....so that was the vasculitis causing the spikes in temp. How is her blood work? Any signs of improvement there? As I mentioned to you before some people do not respond to generic Cellcept. That is not to say that the brand (Roche) is guaranteed to work but there is a better chance of it working. I have never had a higher than normal WBC on Cellcept except when I have had a bout of diverticulitis and antibiotics took care of that.

Hope you get your answers soon

Rose
    Hi Rose,
    That is exactly what has been happening is that her temp goes up slightly in the mornings and returns to normal later in the day.
    She won't get another cbc until next tuesday, so not sure where her wbc count is right now.
    She is only on 500mg morning and 250mg cellcept nightly, so not sure if her dose is high enuf, yet.
    She only weighs 107lbs, so not sure if weight makes a difference or not.
    Most people seem to be on 2gms per day.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Rose,
    Were u in remission when u started the cellcept?

My mom has not reached remission, yet and her kidneys are not getting better, so this why the mofetil.
    The rtx didn't seem to do the job that others rave about but my mom has MPA and not GPA.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, I was. I had 6 x 1 monthly IV cyclophosphamide which got me in remission. Then I started the imuran which I was on for 5 weeks and had a bad reaction to. Following that I started on Cellcept which has kept me in remission for almost 6 years.

My spikes in temp was a symptom of he vasculitis which is common in untreated WG I dont know what my blood work was on diagnosis. Like most of the other sufferers I had never heard of Wegeners and knew nothing in those early days as to treatment, monitoring etc....and too sick to care!

It could be that the Cellcept has not kicked in yet. I take 1.5g daily, double your mothers dose but I am also much heavier (pred weight which I cannot shift though only take 2.5mgs daily for the past few years) Hoping that it starts to work soon and that Tuesday's blood work shows some improvement

Rose
    Last edited by Rose; 10-17-2014 at 10:33 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, I was. I had 6 x 1 monthly IV cyclophosphamide which got me in remission. Then I started the imuran which I was on for 5 weeks and had a bad reaction to. Following that I started on Cellcept which has kept me in remission for almost 6 years.

My spikes in temp was a symptom of he vasculitis which is common in untreated WG I dont know what my blood work was on diagnosis. Like most of the other sufferers I had never heard of Wegeners and knew nothing in those early days as to treatment, monitoring etc....and too sick to care!

It could be that the Cellcept has not kicked in yet. I take 1.5g daily, double your mothers dose but I am also much heavier (pred weight which I cannot shift though only take 2.5mgs daily for the past few years) Hoping that it starts to work soon and that Tuesday's blood work shows some improvement

Rose
    Hi Rose,
    I pray your blood work looks good on Tuesday too!
    As far as weight, a low carb diet helps get some weight off if keep the protein to your minimum needs.
    Lots of veggies and fat too.
    Sugar is the only thing that causes fat storage and the liver can convert extra protein to sugar for storage.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rose
    Rose,
    Did you have any kidney failure before going on the Mofetil and if so, did the function get better?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast