User Tag List

Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Prednisone & Weight Loss -- Is it possible?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Prednisone & Weight Loss -- Is it possible?

Hi Everyone,

I've been on Prednisone since the beginning of May and have been tapering ever since. I'm now at 8mg/day, which is exciting!

My problem is that I was hit pretty hard by pred side effects--I have full blown Cushing's syndrome and I gained about 35lbs. Lucky for me, my appetite went back to normal when I got to below 10mg of pred. For the last 2.5 months I've been carefully monitoring my diet, counting calories, and exercising a lot, but my weight hasn't budged. At all. My moon face is slightly starting to go away, but the peach fuzz and acne on my face is still there.

My question is this: has anyone had weight loss success while on low doses of prednisone? Have you noticed changes in your metabolism since taking prednisone? When did the prednisone side effects start going away for you?

I just want to look like myself again...I don't recognize the person in the mirror. Dealing with this disease is hard enough, but because of the pred side effects I feel like I've lost myself in more ways than one.

Any tips/tricks for beating the prednisone weight?
    "Drink your tea slowly and reverently, as if it is the axis on which the whole earth revolves—slowly, evenly, without rushing toward the future. Live the actual moment. Only this actual moment is life." -Thich Nhat Hanh

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some (a few anyway) have lost weight they gained from pred. Lot of exercise and careful diet were the key I believe. My weight remained fairly stable for past four years after getting down to lower dosages but no luck in losing any but then I also have diabetes, limited endurance from Weg damage to lungs and kidneys, and I am also at the age where most people gain weight as their metabolism slows down.

If you are younger and active, some weight loss should come as you resume your normal level of activity if you feel well enough to do so.
    Knowledge is power! Wisdom is using it to make good decisions!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been below 40 mg of pred since the first of the year. I've been able to taper down to 3 mg now. I've lost about 8 lbs and 1.5" off my waist since then. I walk about 3 miles most days and try to watch portion sizes. I'm also eating more fresh fruit instead of sweets/chips for snacks. It's a slow go, but I'm getting there. I'd like to lose another 5-10 pounds...

I was dxed about 4 years ago. I'm 68 years old now.
    Pete
    dx 1/11

"Every day is a good day. Some are better than others." - unknown

"Take your meds as directed and live your life as fully as you can." - Michael Chacey, MD

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I gained 30 pounds on pred and had severe moon face. I started losing weight when my taper was under 10 mg. 6 months later (at pred 5mg) I had lost all 30 pounds and the moon face pretty much went away. I exercised every day. Still do and I ate a very low carb diet. No sugar or processed food. I had to slowly increase my exercise, because I was so weak. I also had to watch out for injuries. I believe high dose pred weakened my joints. Patience surely helps with Wegeners. Best wishes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To TommyG: Thank you! This was just the sort of story I was looking to hear. I feel like the internet is full of stories of people posting when they are in the panic of pred side effects, but there are no "after" stories.

it's really inspiring to know that someone else lost the moonface and the lbs 6 months after starting 10mg. I'll keep plugging away with the exercise and eating well and see how far it gets me.
    "Drink your tea slowly and reverently, as if it is the axis on which the whole earth revolves—slowly, evenly, without rushing toward the future. Live the actual moment. Only this actual moment is life." -Thich Nhat Hanh

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, I am attempting to lose weight as well. I am down between 25-30lbs and still need to lose more. ITs all about diet and exercising. Prednisone is one tough cookie, but we have to be even stronger to get that stubborn weight off.
    Sheila-dx and delivered baby Joshua January 2013 (Welcomed Baby Joshua)
    Follow my blog: http://charitymartinsfitnessjourney.tumblr.com ( a blog/daily journal about diet, exercise and health while being a wife, mom and WG patient)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pretty clear progress in these pix. What is time frame for them?
    Knowledge is power! Wisdom is using it to make good decisions!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow, Sheila! You look great! You can definitely see the progress in your face. It's definitely inspiring to see someone who has already come so far.

I like how you said that we need to be stronger than prednisone. I'll keep reminding myself of that!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you for the great success story.. It was just what I needed as I have been trying to walk everyday and wondered if I would ever be able to go more than a few blocks!! Yours Susie

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The one of the Left was taken Dec 2013 the far right, taken October 2014.
    Sheila-dx and delivered baby Joshua January 2013 (Welcomed Baby Joshua)
    Follow my blog: http://charitymartinsfitnessjourney.tumblr.com ( a blog/daily journal about diet, exercise and health while being a wife, mom and WG patient)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast