Thread: Pregnancy and wegeners

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Pregnancy and wegeners

Hi,
    I'd like to hear from people who've had a pregnancy after being diagnosed. Did it make the wegeners worse - ie) flare up again? Did you need increased medications?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm very interested in this as well... if things go well my doctor has said he would agree with us trying as soon as June! Any advice is greatly appreciated! <3

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This would be me!!! I had twins in 1991 - flared but with no diagnosis, 1994 another baby and 6 weeks later a huge flare in my right lung and then a diagnosis 6 weeks after she was born. Then I went on cytoxan for 2 years and then switched to methotrexate but in 1998 I got a really bad kidney infection and was put on antibiotics which counter-acted the birth control pill and bodda bing/ bodda boom pregnancy #3 and baby #4 on the way!

I had had 2 shots of methotrexate during the first month pregnancy. I was a week late with my period and did a home test and didn't do another shot until seeing my dr. I had my first internal ultrasound at 18 days pregnant and her little heartbeat was clearly seen. I have to be honest it was a hard 9 months. I was told over and over and over I could terminate the pregnancy and had internal ultrasounds every 2 weeks to monitor development. I refused every time and held firm to the believe that God gave me this miracle I had to try to bring her to this world. She was born full term and was perfect. We named her Gracie .. for by the Grace of God she was born.

Bottom line it is possible to get pregnant, have a healthy baby, and manage this disease but you have to know it is very risky. During pregnancy the immune system shuts down completely and that puts us at more risk but if you really want this then talk to your doctors and make your decision. Personally I did not flare for 7 years after having her but I went immediately back on Methotrexate and was not able to breast feed. It also helped that I have "limited" WG where it acts up every once in a while. I do not have kidney involvement so that needs to be considered as well. I guess it really depends on you personal medical condition. Good luck.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Im here to say that it is very possible!!!! I was dxed at 16 and on meds for 4 years before my doctor allowed me to get pg. I was on imuran the whole way thru but i dont no that i would have needed it as my symptoms were totally gone and i felt awesome while i was pg. I did have preeclampsia and that called for an early c- section. But my son is 8 now and completely healthy. I had a minor flare 4 months after...just needed to increase my imuran a little. Then 4 years later i had another healthy pregnancy. We delivered just a tad early that time. I was able to breastfeed for 4 months and then another minor flare that required methotrexate...all in all i felt better pregnant and my flares were not bad enough to scare me off. My doctor was very against my second pregnancy altho she did allow it. I regret allowing her to convince us i needed to have my tubes tied. I guess i no it was probably best. But sometimes i think i fail to think for myself in this desease because its so rare and i was so young..i kinda just got used to doing whatever the doc says...im afraid i sound very spoiled. I am SO thankful for my 2 boys and i realize i am very very blessed to have them!!! I dont want to be bratty. Its just such a final decision ...maybe i would have struggled even if i was healthy and didnt need it. Anyway. Long answer for a short question. Yes you can have wegeners and still get pg. I no not every one can. And i definitely would talk with a doctor. But get one who is 100% behind you. If my doctor had her way i wouldnt have any. I had to fight very hard!!