Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dialysis

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Dialysis

Lots of you folks have been on dialysis. Can you describe it for the rest of us? I've always wondered what people go through with it.

Doug Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Sangye View Post
    Lots of you folks have been on dialysis. Can you describe it for the rest of us? I've always wondered what people go through with it.
    After a stent is installed surgically in your chest or neck (with weggies, the neck is the only suitable place to install a stent- or two, as was the case for me), you will be placed in a recliner with a small television set that can be swung in and out of place in front of your face. I only used it the first time because I was ignorant. After that, because you feel tired, the temptation will be to rest (i.e. "sleep"!) during the hours-long procedure, but the technician involved will try to assure you stay awake so you can let him or her know if you feel any problems coming on or so you can respond to questions they have when they adjust levels of blood components (potassium, etc.) their on-going testing indicates needs adjustment. You hold a plastic tube in your lap that is your blood after it has been through the machine and it reheated to body temperature. If you are in a typical hospital room, it will be so cold, you will welcome the warmth! I suppose the procedure leaves you cooled down, too, but I can't speak to that. I can say that the procedure leaves you very relaxed and blissed out, not at all unpleasant, but you will not like people interacting with you for some time after the procedure as you will want to rest. That's my experience with it. I'd be interested to hear other's experience with it, to see if my experience was unusual or typical.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There are two types of dialysis - hemo as described above and CAPD which is the one I was on for 18 months.

CAPD (continuous ambulatory peritoneal dialysis) is done by pouring a litre or so of saline solution into your peritoneal cavity (that's the bag inside you that holds all your bits in place) through a permanent catheter. This then absorbs all the nasties over the space of 6 hours and effectively turns into urine. You then drain this out and exchange it for a fresh solution four times a day.

I used to experience a few twinges during exchanges, but otherwise it was quite comfortable and it meant that I could still do most things (like going to work). However, the system is no replacement for working kidneys and I felt a bit unwell most of the time and fainted a few times. I'm not sure how long I could have continued without big problems.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

It has been over six yeasr since I was on Dialysis. All I can remember that, like Doug, it made me tired. I had a stent first in my inner thigh (when in ICU) then in my neck for the rest of my hospital stay. Other than feeling tired, it didn't really affect me. I had visitors during most of the sessions and was quite fine to chat during proceedings although not constantly I tried to bring a book in once but it took too much concentration to read. Unlike Doug, we had no TV, just a nurse or visitors. I did lose heaps of weight while I was on Dialysis. Must try and get myself in there again
    Forum Administrator
    Diagnosed March 2003.
    Currently but not permanetly residing in Canberra, Australia.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't you dare.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'll sick Duffy on you if you do
    Jolanta

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jola57 View Post
    I'll sick Duffy on you if you do
    Nah, I was just thinking of sneaking in for my 100,000km service, not about getting sick again
    Forum Administrator
    Diagnosed March 2003.
    Currently but not permanetly residing in Canberra, Australia.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think I need new spark plugs.

Doug Guest

Get a cat. No, two! Wait, I feel more tired than before. Get a guppy. A male guppy, because females all are pregnant and eat their young. But not all of them or enough of them. Get a plant. A philodendron. Not a big one, though, because you will be overwhelmed with foliage soon enough. New sparkplugs are over-sold. Get a new car instead. And trade it in for a... never mind! Ignore me. My pain meds just kick in. What?! I feel catatonic.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wasn't there a post once about threads running off topic?

How come there are so many people on here who have been on dialysis, but then recovered when I did not? I feel hard done by!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast