Thread: To remember or not?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default To remember or not?

Hi guys,

been wondering if it is time to add a memorial section to the site.

There have been a number of WGers how have passed on and IMO they should not be forgotten.

I envisaged the title to be Memorial Section or similar. (I would not use gpa, as I believe the majority who have left us were diagnosed as WG - ditto Wg)

I would also have a starter post which gave the basic details such as name, when Diagnosed, Aviator or photo, death along with a short write up about the person. This would then be followed with their most important link/links (Intro or dying threads.) People , if they wish can add their personal memories'. Only the Admins can add new people to it but the can ask if anyone would like to write the Obit.

The thread information should explain what its about but start with something along the line of: This is an area where members can remember those who failed to beat the disease. Please remember that back 20 years ago the survival rate was only 20% where nowdays with the new treatments it is well over 80%. Death is now much rarer than before but these people contributed to the forum and helped the success rate get where it is today. This to reasure new members and visitors.

Can it be done and thoughts please?

Behind every great man is a woman rolling her eyes.
    Jim Carrey

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree with you Paul in principle. It does seem ironic that the members of this Forum who have passed on were perhaps the most significant contributers, and therefore their wealth of knowledge should be identified and made more accessible, if thats the right description.
    It would need to be done in a dignified manner to reflect the solemnity of the situation.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think it's a wonderful idea. Thank you for presenting it, Hammy

rif Guest

Lovely idea Hammy, a lot of thought would have to go into it of course.

Rif

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hammy this is a wonderful idea - thankyou

Andrew/vdub, please say that this is possible
    Keep Smiling
    Michelle

Live your life in a way that you wouldn't be ashamed to sell the family parrot to the town gossip - WILL ROGERS

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think its a good idea, but how to present it will require some thought. I think the basic info that you suggest would be good, but I don't think we would want everyone's individual thoughts, condolences, etc. If you start adding a lot of "clutter" (not to demean the thought), then it detracts from "the wall", if I can use that term.

We do have the candles on the map as a reminder -- unfortunately there are quite a few candles.

Edit: I see 7 off-hand; 2 in US, 1 in Canada, 1 in Spain, 1 in UAE, 1 in S. Africa, & 1 in the UK. Am I missing any?

I'm thinking a sticky with a URL pointing to a web page with a static write-ups on each individual. Something simple (no auto-music, for instance and no animated .gifs), solemn, short... I don't think we would need permission from anyone as long as the content was taken from publicly available sources.
    Last edited by vdub; 10-09-2014 at 09:02 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree it's a good idea, and thanks, vdub, for remembering the lesser known ones that we see on the map but may not all have been as active on the forum. They all deserve recognition. Any that are not on the map could be hard to track down unless someone specifically remembers them and can find their posts on the forum, so that we can get the info on them.

I think there are definitely some others who didn't make it onto the map, I'm just having trouble remembering their details.... in these cases it was likely a relative who was posting on their behalf. I have a vague recollection of a man in India whose son was posting, and one or two others whose son or daughter were posting for them.
    Last edited by annekat; 10-10-2014 at 02:14 PM.
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

vdub, there is a third on the map in the US, the mother of MEustache in Maryland. It was hard to see. And I'm now doubting that there are others not on the map, as I think you or Andrew have been pretty diligent about putting them on there when they pass. It's just hard to see them in some of the more concentrated areas, so someone would have to go through and zoom in on areas to make sure none were missed.
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think it is a wonderful, wonderful idea. I learned so much from Phil personally. We had many interactions both on and off the forum and ... I am still shaken that he was here one minute and seemingly gone the next. His information shouldn't be gone. I also conversed with Barbara. I would look up old posts by Lightwarrior and Al. It's a wealth of information that shouldn't be gone. There are so many of us in the beginning stages of our journey that need their wisdom!
    I am fully behind it being short and to the point. If we feel the need, we can start a thread for each person to leave our condolences.
    I love this family. I wish we didn't have to be in it but at least we aren't alone.
    You all are the only people I truly take their words to heart when you lecture me. No one else understands!!
    Officially Diagnosed 07/31/2013

My blog: http://nikkinicolealison.com

"It's no use going back to yesterday because I was a different person then" - Alice in Wonderland

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like the idea of thread or sticky sort like a cemetery with head stones summarizing briefly some info about a person, like a head stone does with a pix or copy of their avatar. Maybe including the dates they were active on the forum, number of posts they made and a couple lines about their circumstances, cause of their death, their contributions or how they are remembered by others on the forum. Suggestions could be offered by all members but a brief edited summary would only be posted. I think it could be done in a dignified presentation like the candles are now.
    Knowledge is power! Wisdom is using it to make good decisions!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast