Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Nasal rinses and travel...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Nasal rinses and travel...

I travel fairly often so I find myself at hotels with no easy way to properly sanitize a rinse bottle. Assuming I could even get my hands on distilled water, and even if the room had a microwave, I'm not sure I could adequately clean and sanitize without access to running water. So far I have just done without rinsing on my trips, which I don't like doing because after just a couple days I am already uncomfortable. Does anyone have any tips, or any ideas for temporary alternatives to rinsing?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, use bottled water. I used it for years and, at this point, its available almost everywhere. Specifically, I used PuraLife because it said micro purified or something like that on the label. I never had any problems, but I don't know if I had any open sores or anything, so your mileage may vary.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree - I used bottled drinking water and I also carried around a Fess spray.........it comes in very handle in times of urgent need.

Then there is also a very hot steamy shower to try and help a little.
    Keep Smiling
    Michelle

Live your life in a way that you wouldn't be ashamed to sell the family parrot to the town gossip - WILL ROGERS

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskatom View Post
    I travel fairly often so I find myself at hotels with no easy way to properly sanitize a rinse bottle. Assuming I could even get my hands on distilled water, and even if the room had a microwave, I'm not sure I could adequately clean and sanitize without access to running water. So far I have just done without rinsing on my trips, which I don't like doing because after just a couple days I am already uncomfortable. Does anyone have any tips, or any ideas for temporary alternatives to rinsing?
    I use my rinse bottle when traveling in USA with tap water. I only rinse out my rinse bottle and don't sanitize it between rinses. If I wished to do that while traveling I would take a small bottle of bleach or iodine or other pills used to sterilize water when camping. Those would be readily available and easy to carry along.
    Knowledge is power! Wisdom is using it to make good decisions!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Believe it or not, I travel with my waterpik! (-8 It packs up about the size of one of my shoes, so I put it in checked luggage. Never been stopped with my suitcase full of small baggies of home-made, pre-measured saline packs either!!

Before I had a water filter installed at home, I was using tap water. I have used bottled water too. Just find a hotel that serves breakfast, find the public microwave, and heat up the water in the plastic bottle, without the lid) for as long as you need it in there. Then, mix with saline pack and rinse. Otherwise, according to my ENT, tap water is fine.
    MikeG-2012

"You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good suggestion! Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I rinse everything out with rubbing alcohol. I take it with me when traveling. The doctor also said tap water is fine. I dissolve an antibiotic ointment in mine and it has made a huge difference

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Okay saw my ENT yesterday. I was totally wrong. He and the nurse looked at me in horror when I said I use tap water. He said boil tap water and let cool or use distilled water. Thanks to this forum I knew about the diluted prednisone rinse. The doctor agreed that I would probably benefit greatly by doing this. Thanks everyone for sharing it really helps!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Out here in my neck of the woods, we have really good tap water with very little additives. Personally, I have a really good well. I now have a three stage antimicrobial water filter under my kitchen sink plumbed to a mix valve that gives me the perfect temperature water to rinse with.

Ah, the joys of another expenditure associated with this disease.
    MikeG-2012

"You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Donna-from-Philly View Post
    Okay saw my ENT yesterday. I was totally wrong. He and the nurse looked at me in horror when I said I use tap water. He said boil tap water and let cool or use distilled water. Thanks to this forum I knew about the diluted prednisone rinse. The doctor agreed that I would probably benefit greatly by doing this. Thanks everyone for sharing it really helps!!!
    My doctor has me on Budesonide for my steroid rinse. Its actually a Asthma medication but it is used as a diluted mix for nasal rinsing it is working really well for me though. I am not sure why he went this route instead of a pred rinse I will have to ask him my next visit

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast