User Tag List

Likes Likes:  0
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Could MRSA be responsible for AAV?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by annekat View Post
    My thoughts are that I'd be glad to try iodine in my sinus rinse, just on the chance that there is some staph lurking in my nasal cavity that needs to be zapped. Since my sinus pockets are gone due to erosion, and the remaining tissues are well healed, miraculously enough, I have very few issues in there and have been told by the ENT that I won't be subject to infections. But there is still mucus collecting in there, albeit a lot less than before, and I don't see why some insidious bacteria wouldn't collect as well. I'll have to look back earlier in the thread to see the specific brand of iodine that was recommended. Apparently, just any old iodine would not be such a good idea....
    Lugol's 5% solution can made up by a pharmacist or ordered from jcrows.com
    J.CROW'S Lugol's Solution 5%, 1oz., Value Price Includes Shipping

When I had a pharmacist make some up, it was the same price as jcrows.

I am glad that your sinuses doing so well and pray they always do well.
    Last edited by mrtmeo; 02-06-2015 at 05:44 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Iodine is an essential nutrient, meaning that if we don't get it from our environment, we will not survive.
    Here is an informative video of Dr Jorge Flechas discussing iodine needs in the body for cancer and cystic diseases.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EoMfg76gAUo

Povidone iodine is usually in a stronger concentration, such as 10%.
    I prefer Lugol's because it has what the body really needs which is iodine and iodide.
    There is 2.5 mg iodine, 3.75 mg potassium iodide in one drop.
    All tissues of the body require one and/or the other and this is why French Dr Lugol created this combo.

Iodine/iodide body preferences:
    Thyroid needs 3% prefers iodide
    Lungs prefer iodide
    Skin needs 20% and prefers iodide
    Salivary Glands prefer iodide
    Muscles and fat needs 70% prefers both
    Breast tissue needs 3-5 mg / day minimum and prefers iodine
    Prostate prefers iodine
    Stomach prefers iodine
    Entire body needs 1500 mg - 2gm for total body saturation over time.

Note: anyone wanting to try iodine should speak with their physician before trying it.
    Last edited by mrtmeo; 02-06-2015 at 07:23 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I read about people using hydrogen peroxide for chronic infections with good results and my pharmacist recommenced I try it since he said it would be safer, cheaper and easier to use than iodine. I have been adding it in small amounts along with baby shampoo and Alkolol too at times. I still get blood and blood clots on regular basis but less signs of infected gunk and think my sinus infections are largely gone after weeks of frequent rinsing.
    Knowledge is power! Wisdom is using it to make good decisions!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by drz View Post
    I read about people using hydrogen peroxide for chronic infections with good results and my pharmacist recommenced I try it since he said it would be safer, cheaper and easier to use than iodine. I have been adding it in small amounts along with baby shampoo and Alkolol too at times. I still get blood and blood clots on regular basis but less signs of infected gunk and think my sinus infections are largely gone after weeks of frequent rinsing.
    Hi drz,
    Have you been tested for staph?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here is a study showing iodine effective against quite a few common viruses, such as adeno-, mumps, rota-, polio- (types 1 and 3), coxsackie-, rhino-, herpes simplex, rubella, measles, influenza and human immunodeficiency viruses.
    Inactivation of Human Viruses by Povidone-Iodine in Comparison with Other Antiseptics - Abstract - Dermatology 1997, Vol. 195, Suppl. 2 - Karger Publishers

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by drz View Post
    I had wondered about hydrogen peroxide, drz. Another one to ask an ENT about, I guess, though I doubt most of them would be very receptive... I do use it in my ears, but haven't really asked about that, either. I do like Alkalol a lot, not that it would kill staph or anything, but it is just a nice refreshing way to rinse and does help loosen up the mucus. And when I tried baby shampoo, it certainly did help to get the mucus moving.
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just an FYI:

I was reading some iodine uses and how it has been used in the past by Dr Kunin and he mentions a product with iodine in it for nasal irrigation called Ponaris.

THE USE OF IODINE AS AN ANTISEPTIC:

Iodide disinfects water at a concentration of 8 ppm. If the water is heavily polluted, use a double dose. A single drop of saturated potassium iodide provides 30 mg of iodine and when added to a liter of water this is 30 mg per 1000 grams, ie. 30 ppm, more than enough to disinfect.

It is effective for sterilizing medical instruments. When diluted it is effective as a vaginal douche and a commercial product, Betadine douche, is available. Ponaris, a commercial nose drop is also available. This provides soothing relief for hay-fever, reducing irritation and crusting. It is also surprisingly effective in chronic sinus infections, even after antibiotics fail! The iodized oil seems to infiltrate into the tissues, thus inactivating both bacterial and fungal invaders. This product is the best treatment available to protect the nasal membranes of our astronauts against the drying effects of space travel.

The Healing Power of Potassium Iodide (SSKI)

Again, consult your physician before using iodine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have Ponaris. Thanks for the info.
    I will ask my ENT tomorrow about using these things.

Now I remember why I quit the Ponaris. I just tried it on my 'good' side and it burns like the devil. This may be a good thing but it doesn't feel like it. I'll see how it feels by tomorrow.
    Last edited by me2; 02-23-2015 at 03:49 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Please don't do any of the things mentioned in this thread without consultation with your doctor. We'll close this thread.
    Last edited by vdub; 02-23-2015 at 06:16 PM.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345