Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Muscle cramping

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Muscle cramping

Has anyone experienced muscle cramping with WG. I get cramps in my toes, my foot cramps inward at the ankle, my calves cramp as from low potassium (but my potassium runs normal to high), and I've had cramps in my fingers. I think it is from the prednisone as the only other drug I'm getting is rituxan infusions. I have strong cramps during the rituxan infusion but they give me high dose of steroid before those, so I am still thinking it is the steroid. I keep telling the doctors about it but no one seems to address it.

Karen
    Last edited by kaysee; 09-28-2014 at 06:20 PM. Reason: spelling error

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think you are right about the Prednisone. I get cramps too especially when I am tapering the preddy. Try eating the bananas it will help the potassium and the cramps too and drink lots of water. Hope this helps

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lots of water, and don't forget, lots of water.
    Dale
    Dx Aug, 2009 Remission June 2010 until 8/1/2014

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Definitely due to Pred. Your cramps sound just like mine. I can usually feel a few twinges or my toes and fingers start twitching before the full blown cramping begins, but there's nothing I can do to stop it. The cramps are so severe that my feet and hands get twisted into positions that seem impossible. Personally the ones in the feet and toes seem worse.
    I'm sure you know this already, but to try and treat the cramp you need to stretch the effected muscle. E.g. if it's your calf, straighten your leg and pull back on your toes and foot towards your knee. The only problem with this is that sometimes the muscle running down the front of your shin begins to cramp and you're now doing the exact opposite of what needs o be done with this muscle.
    As for the feet. It's hard to know what to do with them. They bend and twist to such weird positions you don't know which way to push or pull on them.

My Dr has prescribed me Quinine Sulphate which is the usual treatment for persistent cramps, but I don't think it works on "steroidal cramps", at least not in my case. But it might be worth giving it a try.

I don't think I have ever mentioned my cramps on this forum as it "sounds" so insignificant compared to some of the other complications associated with WG, but it's one of the main things that effect day to day life when they are so severe.
    When I'm on doses of Pred higher than 10mg/day I usually don't sleep for much more than an hour without been woken up with cramps.

You have my total sympathy with this. The good news is that I've found that about a month after dropping Pred to 10mg/day the cramps MUCH improve.

As for the potassium. I have renal failure so my potassium levels are high. In fact I was fairly recently kept in hospital and had some IV drug to lower my potassium levels. I was still suffering from cramps, so I believe the Pred causing cramps can't be helped with Potassium.
    Diagnosed April 1995

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Kaysee,
    My mom had horrible muscle cramps in legs, hands and arms when every she dropped prednisone or dexamethasone.
    It usually only lasts for 3 days.
    Stretching the muscles and holding the tightened muscle for 30 seconds can help or hot rags.
    My mom found some relief also, from Hylands Leg cramps cream.

The quinine never worked for my mom either, gilders.

Steroids mess with electrolytes for some reason.
    Extra salt helped a tiny bit, but magnesium and or potassium didn't work.
    Last edited by mrtmeo; 09-29-2014 at 11:20 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeap, include me in, too -- toes and arch of foot. Not so much the calf. Starts cramping when I first lay down to go to bed. Cramps for a few minutes then eases up. Must be the pred....

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have done endurance events and for those we use the below salt tabs, they help with cramping, If I were having cramping issues I would take two of these a day. Keep in mind that drinking water is great, but you can screw with your electrolyte balance if you drink too much. When you hear of folks dying at marathons sometimes it is because they drink too much water and don't replenish their electrolytes. I try to drink tons of water each day and for every 3 32oz of water I will take two salt tabs, or you can balance with gatoraid or something like that.

Amazon.com: Saltstick Electrolyte Capsules (100/bottle): Sports & Outdoors

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree with everything everyone has said. I'd like to add that what helps me is to elevate my feet when I go to bed, at least is has stopped most of the cramps in my feet and lower legs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting that salt has been mentioned a couple of times. I have high blood pressure caused by renal failure so I'm on a low salt diet. I guess this could help explain why my cramps are so bad.
    Diagnosed April 1995

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting article on Paleo and blood pressure... 6 Ways To Lower Blood Pressure By Changing Your Diet

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast