Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Karen just joined

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Karen just joined

Hi, My name is Karen but I also go by kaysee. I just found your group and I am so thankful. I was diagnosed with GPA this past April after 2 years of being ill with some strange symptons. I retired in June because it was too difficult to work and I needed to take care of ME. I had rituxan infusions in June/July with good results but the GPA flared up again the end of August and my kidney doctor sent me to the hospital concerned that my kidneys would fail. My rhuematologist said rituxan can only be given every 4 months, so instead they gave me pulse steroid infusions. I had 125 mg steroid infusions for three days which did nothing. The kidney function kept getting worse. I then had 500 mg steroid infusions for 3 days. I have been back on 30 mg of prednisone every day since. I will begin my second round of rituxan on Monday. At diagnosis my kidney function was only 25%, but after the first round of rituxan it increased to 50% and I am hoping to maintain that.
    This has been a very scary ride for me and I am quite frustrated as my doctor says rituxan works 90% of the time. I did not expect a flare up so soon, nor did my doctor. While in the hospital I had a water leak in my home which resulted in a complete re-pipe of my home. Now I am dealing with a lot of sheetrock repair. It is not a good thing having walls open to the attic (dust, bugs, mold, etc.) when I have a compromised immune system, allergies and asthma. I am trying to stay positive and have faith that this second rituxan treatment holds it at bay so that I can get off the predisone. I've been on this stuff since the end of April except for a two week break after the first rituxan series.

Thanks for having this group. Karen

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Welcome to the club so to speak. You'll find lots of assistance, knowledge and love on this blog!
    - You can judge the character of a person by how they treat those who can do nothing for them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Karen,
    Welcome to the forum.
    My mom is in a similar situation as you.
    She finished her Rtx July 22 and was put on Imuran a couple weeks after, but it suppressed her bone marrow too much.
    She has a bleeder and becomes anemic easy, so she is now, getting the Epogen shots to help, but her dr eventually, wants her back on Imuran at a lower dose.
    Her kidney function started improving, but got worse with the anemia and took a while to come back again, so am waiting to see if it improves further.
    I guess the Cytoxan works faster than Rituxan, so it does take 3-6 months from infusions for remission according to a study here
    Long-term observation of patients with anti-neutrophil cytoplasmic antibody-associated vasculitis treated with rituximab

There are a couple Figures (1 and 2) on this study showing renal outcomes and flares.
    The only thing is that they all had some cytoxan first.

I really wonder if the cytoxan should be used for flares after rituxan.
    Last edited by mrtmeo; 09-28-2014 at 11:20 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Must be something in the water -- two people signing in from Houston this week. TheMitchells are also from Houston.

Sounds like you are well down the road to understanding the disease. It can be a long, long road to getting some sort of remission and stability, so don't get too discouraged if things don't work out immediately.

A lot of people end up on some amount of pred for years. In my case, I was off pred for about 3 years and so thankful when they put me back on it. It has made all the difference in my quality of life. I'm only on 5mg, but that seems to do the trick.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Karen and welcome to the forum.

Such knowledgeable people in here. I hope things get back under control for you after your need infusion
    Keep Smiling
    Michelle

Live your life in a way that you wouldn't be ashamed to sell the family parrot to the town gossip - WILL ROGERS

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Karen,
    Welcome to the forum. I noticed your new member introduction last night and was going to reply. But it was 0130 UK time and I just had to switch off my Tablet and get some sleep. You'll find with members spread throughout the world someone is usually online at any time of day.
    I'll reply to your "cramps" post now.
    Diagnosed April 1995

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Karen, I am a new member too. Hopefully we will both find answers and support to our questions and concerns. Lord knows this is a scary disease to deal with if ever there was one. Keep us up to date. Take care, Velma

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Welcome to the forum. Sorry you need to be here!
    ~ Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Welcome Kaysee! Glad you found us. Lots of good people here with lots of knowledge & experience & hopefully you will find the info & help you need.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Welcome, Karen. There are so many variations to this disease and differences in how people are treated for it, that it is hard for me to comment on any of that right now. Except to say that I'm sorry you have kidney involvement and that they are having trouble keeping your flares at bay. Also, your 2 years of strange symptoms before being dx'ed are not unusual. I'm glad they finally figured it out and that you will get it under control and even into remission. Many of us on here have not been declared in remission, and may have recurring flares that are not always serious and can be controlled with adjustments in meds., but are still doing quite well, feeling good a lot of the time, and able to go about our lives almost as before. I hope the same for you.
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast