Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Default Expanding our coverage

One of our members brought up an idea that had been suggested to me some years ago and I'd elected not to proceed with. This idea was to expand the forums to cover other AI diseases as well such as Graves, MPA, Lupus, MS etc. I'm almost positive some of our number have scored the jackpot and have WG and Lupus for example.

Effort-wise it's not a huge deal - just a matter of creating a few new forums. Might also need to change the name of the site perhaps too. Would still be accessed via the same domain name (wegeners-granulomatosis.com) and probably by other names as well. Just might change the name at the top. I dunno - thinking out loud.

Thoughts/comments/suggestions welcome. I'm kinda partial to the idea. If done right would expand this community quite a bit.
    Forum Administrator
    Diagnosed March 2003.
    Currently but not permanetly residing in Canberra, Australia.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Where would it stop at Andrew?

Would you make it everything Vasculitis or everything Auto Immune........that's huge

I have WG, Lupus and MCTD and I am on other sites that are just for Lupus or just for MCTD - I kind of like it just WG but think it could be expanded to everything Vasculitis
    ......that's me just thinking out loud too
    Keep Smiling
    Michelle

Live your life in a way that you wouldn't be ashamed to sell the family parrot to the town gossip - WILL ROGERS

rif Guest

Hi Andrew

I agree with mishb it would include an enormous amount of AI related topics, specific information for each problem could get lost amongst the postings. Some people I know do like being on individual sites because of the ease of using them. Another one just thinking out loud too

Rif

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I tend to agree with Mish and the other two above, although I'm just waking up and starting to think out loud. Our condition is less well known than say, lupus, and people recently dx'd with WG are more in the dark and possibly freaked out by having something so rare and scary sounding. Finding a site especially for WG, with so many great people on it, was very comforting for me when I first came here. If it had been for vasculitis in general or autoimmune diseases, it would have seemed less personal and more like being lost in the shuffle. There's a vasculitis group on Facebook where we can learn about other forms and meet those folks. We are already supportive of people with other conditions than WG who happen to come our way. So I'm leaning toward keeping this one as it is, but am open to changes if enough people agree to them.
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't do it...density obscures the problems and answers we seek...got enough problems at the grocery store as it is!
    Knowing how to think empowers you far beyond those who only know what to think. -NdT

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think expanding the scope of this forum would esssentially duplicate the Vasculitis Foundation's Facebook page. Wegs has so many nuances and quirks that I think would be lost in the clutter of all the other forms of Vasculitis and AI diseases. Put me down as recommending against expansion.
    Pete
    dx 1/11

"Every day is a good day. Some are better than others." - unknown

"Take your meds as directed and live your life as fully as you can." - Michael Chacey, MD

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am in agreement with everyone. Well put!! Don't do it Andrew.
    I am a strong person, but every now and then I also need someone to take my hand & say everything will be alright....

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think the forum is great as is. I sometimes don't get round to coming on the forum for a while and it takes a few days to catch up with everything and everyone. Expanding it would make it less personal. I feel like we're quite a close knit community here and wouldn't want that to change.
    Well done on asking for our opinions though and not steaming ahead with it.
    Diagnosed April 1995

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have to agree with everyone also,my answer would be no. Like Geoff put it we are a special bunch !!!
    Life isn't about how you survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain !

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Special people, Special disease, Special Forum with a Special Administrator
    Dale
    Dx Aug, 2009 Remission June 2010 until 8/1/2014

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast