Quote Originally Posted by annekat View Post
It's OK. I think part of the issues we are finding disagreement on is just semantics. Some of us may spend a lot of time looking at clinical studies, but most of us have other things to do in our lives and are more concerned with what each other are going through, what our doctors are saying, and how we can help newcomers through our own experience. We like seeing some clinical studies once in awhile, too. We have often suggested that newcomers not get too wrapped up in what they see on the internet, as different sites will say different things and can easily be misinterpreted. Even the top sites haven't always been updated in awhile, and people may get scared by what they see, which may be the most extreme examples. We know that many on here are doing quite well and haven't had even half of the variations of symptoms described on these sites. Others are not doing as well, we know, and we could all have more severe episodes in the future. I looked at the site you linked to and saw that it goes into a lot of depth, and will probably spend more time looking at it again. I did notice, however, that it called Wegeners and vasculitis an "allergic" disease, which I have never heard it called before in the 3.5 years since my dx. That seemed odd to me. True, allergies involve an improper reaction of the the immune system, too, and people with allergies may be more predisposed to AI diseases. We don't know, though there are theories about what triggers them. The experts so far are still saying they don't know for sure what causes WG.
Hi Annekat,
Vasculitis has been associated with hypersensitivity reactions, especially, leukocytoclastic vasculitis.
Here is another doc stating untreated gpa mortality of 5 months.
https://online.epocrates.com/dx/inde...51&activeTab=9

I am so glad that this is no longer a disease with little treatment options and now, has some very much improved treatments with far better outcomes.
I cannot imagine what it was like to have vasculitis prior to cytoxan.

Hopefully, with the newer biomarkers they find for these diseases, they can diagnose much earlier preventing damage.
It is so important to get the awareness out to the people.