Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hearing Problems

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Hearing Problems

A couple month back I started having hearing problems on one of my ears. It became kind of muffled and sometimes I would hear ringing in it. Sometimes it's more muffled than other times. Around the same time this started the same side of my nose started getting stuffed a lot and if I wore glasses it would sometimes hurt on that side a little after wearing them for a while.

Today I woke up and my other ear didn't seem all right, so I tried clearing it by equalizing my ears the way divers do: squeeze nose shut, then gently blow into it - it should allow the ear to match the surrounding atmospheric pressure (it's never caused a problem before). Now I have a problem with this ear being muffled too and feeling like it's stuffed with something. I know the best thing to do is to talk to my doctor about it, but I can't afford a (expensive) visit at this time because of my work situation, and I already owe him money that I cannot pay back at this time.

Has anyone else experienced hearing problems? Is this a known problem with WG?? I know it's not age related because I'm way too young for age related hearing problems.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Again, welcome B. Most of us with WG have had some kind of sinus/ear/lung issue, if not all of them! My sinus damage was an expanded E tube which docs can't fix, along with the tinnitus you seem to be 'hearing'. My left ear seems more damaged for hearing than my right where the E tube is stuck. It seems pretty common. It does indicate an active WG at times, but nasal biopsies aren't always a surety. Do you have WG dxed officially already? Best to you, hang tough.
    Knowing how to think empowers you far beyond those who only know what to think. -NdT

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Don View Post
    Do you have WG dxed officially already?

I don't know what this means.
    Just call me "B".
    ---
    "How's it going?"
    "Like crap."

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

DX = Diagnosed??

I was diagnosed with it in 2005. I started getting treated relatively early (about 2 1/2 mo. from the time symptoms first started) and it has been in remission since around the end of 2006/2007. With the exception of my stamina probably being a little less than regular disease-free people, I've been able to live relatively WG-free up until about now (from what it seems).
    Last edited by B_in_Florida; 09-15-2014 at 07:49 AM. Reason: structure
    Just call me "B".
    ---
    "How's it going?"
    "Like crap."

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Since you are dxed, I assume you are on the 'fun' drugs. Your description sounds a bit like a flare, but could be simpler. Tinnitus doesn't have much to do with WG except that many of us get it also. Sorry on the terminology...after a while on here one gets used to shortcutting words...oops. You're almost at a 'magic' marker time of 10 years. There are stats that support about a 10 year remission for many people...statistically, they become more susceptible once more to a flare. Wish those peeps messing with the AI cell changing thingy research would get it in gear...LOL! I've been told by both my rheumy and pulmy that until a better drug protocol is developed or whatever, I will be susceptible, especially again at about 10 years...jeez.
    Knowing how to think empowers you far beyond those who only know what to think. -NdT

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Don View Post
    Since you are dxed, I assume you are on the 'fun' drugs.
    I'm actually not on any drugs right now. The drugs I was on were: Prednisone and Cytoxan - think that was it, I don't remember another. I started taking the drugs erratically later on into my treatment, I didn't always take them when I was supposed to (there were days when I missed taking the drugs) - possibly because they tasted like crap, their directions on how they were supposed to be taken (ie. take 30 minutes after/before eating, with milk, etc.), or I simply didn't think about them as much as my symptoms decreased. I think that's when I was taken off them because it was considered "self-medicating." My condition was monitored for a bit while off the drugs and since it didn't seem to change I was kept off them.

Since people are probably just going to assume what symptoms I had if I don't mention them, I will go over them: It started off with a cough. I thought it was just a cold/flu, but after two bottles of cough syrup and two weeks it still didn't get any better. I tried exercise and noticed my stamina was EXTREMELY low: I had trouble doing any pull-ups, and when I exerted myself the cough just got worse. I got muscle pain(not from exercise, just daily tasks) and arthritis: un-bending my legs and arms became very painful (ie. from a seated position). It was less painful to stand or lie down, and it got to the point where going down steps was difficult and painful, and it was too painful to drive my stick-shift car. If I wanted to go anywhere, I had to be driven. I had loss of strength: going up stairs required a lot of exertion, I remember almost crawling up the steps in my house one day when coming home from class (I think the symptoms started at or near the end of the semester, so I didn't need to deal much with school); night sweats: I would go to sleep, then wake up in the middle of the night, sheets drenched in sweat, nauseous from the smell, and freezing. As it went on the chronic cough just became stronger and more often. I had ear and throat pain and every time I coughed I would feel pain in my throat and ears. I couldn't eat hard things like crackers, because eating them became painful. I became drained in the middle of the day very often, although I don't remember when that started. After about 1 month I went to a holistic doctor who said I had some kind of nutrient deficiency, and was prescribed various minerals and some type of fatty oil(to ingest) for the joints. After 1 additional month of pain due to that holistic quack, I went to a real doctor who told me I needed to go to a hospital right away after looking at a chest X-ray. First I got to freeze my ass off in the ER for a long time, then I was admitted. They initially thought I had pneumonia, and also went over other possibilities like STDs. After being in the hospital and tested for for 2+ weeks (which felt like an eternity), after having talked to about 5 doctors, thinking and feeling like I was dying, I finally got a diagnosis. I think the reason I didn't have as many symptoms as some people, or required as much medication, was probably because the diagnosis was made early on and I was 21 at the time.

After I was released from the hospital I never joined any group because I didn't want to be part of any "self-pity" group, wallowing in & perpetuating despair with others - that's how I saw support groups. I wanted to live my life as WG-free as possible, not even thinking about it.... but I guess times like these, WG likes to slap me in the face and say "No, we won't let you do that." To me, talking to a support group was just giving WG more a part in my life than it needed to have, kind of like additional validation and power over my life or emotions. I still didn't come here for sympathy/empathy or emotional support, but to get answers from other people who might be experiencing what I am.

I was just going to go over my symptoms, but I see it also kind of turned into my "story."
    Last edited by B_in_Florida; 09-15-2014 at 10:04 AM.
    Just call me "B".
    ---
    "How's it going?"
    "Like crap."

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well done, well stated...now you've opened a door for here. Peeps don't generally wallow over themselves or each other in here...some are a bit blunt, and some have exceedingly knowledgable understandings of WG, some are scared, some not so much...varies in here. Keep watching, reading, and using as you see fit. Your story is very familiar for many of us, perhaps, thru the sharing of experiences, we can all learn more than we ever expected or wanted in order to make each day better than yesterday. Keep on keepin on...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The best advice I've gotten about living with this dumb disease so far came from the doc who diagnosed me: "Take your meds as directed and live your life to the fullest extent possible." Seems to be working OK so far.
    Pete
    dx 1/11

"Every day is a good day. Some are better than others." - unknown

"Take your meds as directed and live your life as fully as you can." - Michael Chacey, MD

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had some of the same problems with hearing and nose. It started with my left ear feeling muffled and then it went to the right ear being muffled as well. I had to be within 4 feet of someone to hear what they were saying. The next thing to happen was my nose was plugged up as well and all that junk inside was almost like concrete lining it. Then I lost my sense of smell and taste. I was like this for about a year. After seeing my ENT found that my Eustachian tubes were not functioning properly which led to me getting frequent infections. They put tubes in my ears and it was an instant relief and I could hear again.I also had balloon sinoplasty sugery to clear my sinuses and help them drain better. The other stuff went away by sticking with my meds and keeping up with my nasal rinses twice a day.

I know what your going through and wish you the best.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When I first started getting sick the ear symptoms were the first to show up, completely out of the blue. I also had nasal issues to the point where it hurt to wear my glasses. By the time I was diagnosed the inside of my nasal passages were quite a mess and I now have permanent hearing impairment in one ear. (Just got my hearing aid this week, which is a big improvement but will take some getting used to.) To answer your question, the symptoms you describe are classic presenting symptoms for WG, so should not be ignored. I also lost my sense of smell. It returned after treatment, but I will always be doing the nasal rinses to deal with the damage that was done.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast