Thread: Any teachers out there with WG?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Any teachers out there with WG?

Hi everyone,

I was training to be a teacher in 2010 and was diagnosed with WGs just before my final practicum. I managed to finish my degree in 2011 with a lot of support from the University and the school I was training at. I have been working full time as a teacher since 2012. In 2012 as a 1-on-1 teacher outside the classroom, with children with different needs, in 2013 as part-time class teacher and part-time 1-on-1 teacher with children with different needs, but this year was the first time I had a class all to myself.

I am working with New Entrance (in New Zealand that's the 5-year-olds), I am constantly exhausted and feeling run down, especially at the moment. My WG's is considered in remission, though I am on azathioprine (150mg), prednisone (5mg). I was informed this year that I would need to be on meds indefinitely. I have tracheal stenosis (50%), which was found last year and am always tired. I know a lot of people at school are also exhausted as it does get full on this time in the year.

Is there any teachers out there who are on meds and working full time as a Teacher? I am thinking of lowering my hours next year, though financially (I am single) this would be tougher. I am 33-years-old and came to teacher later in life. I love my job and the staff I am working with. So am confused about what to do. Will it get better? Or will I always feel like this, tired and run down?

I would love to hear what other Teachers are doing who have WGs?

Cheers

Airini

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Airini, I was a teacher before I was dxed. I can't imagine teaching with what I went thru, but now that I'm in drugged remission, I do feel better and maybe could handle it...then again, I'm 65 and don't handle much besides a golf club! With your youth and good treatment, I don't see why you can't continue. Your administration is going to have to understand that you may have to take some time off once in a while to regroup your spoons! I worked with a person with Lupus for years, she made it along quite nicely. Single mom of 2, raised her kids on her own, owned her own home, and was very watchful of her health...she had to take time off every once in a while and she had bad days at work, but she always made it somehow. You will too!!! Best to you.
    Knowing how to think empowers you far beyond those who only know what to think. -NdT

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I found pulmonary rehab helped improve my endurance a bit but still often get exhausted easy. I also began my Weg RX in 2010. I am retired but doubt I could ever handle working a full time job again. My full time job seems to be trying to help support many doctors and staff at several different clinics.
    Knowledge is power! Wisdom is using it to make good decisions!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes I teach high school. It can be done...at least so far.
    I am in California.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So how is your year going?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hello Airini,
    I know WG affects different people different ways only you can decide what you can or cannot do. I also am, or was, a teacher and football coach. I started late in life going to school and getting my masters. At 65 and only teaching for 15 years I had to take disability/retirement. I was a Spec Ed. Teacher. My last assignment was in a youth development center. I had murders, rapist etc. the worse of the worse. I know I made a difference in a couple of lives. After I found out that I have WG I thought it was in my best interest to leave. As a lot of the youth came into the prision with a lot of sicknesses and I don't believe It was healthy to confine myself to that problem as my immune system could take a hit. I was fortunate to have a great staff and admin. to work with and felt it would have been wrong to put extra work on them keeping up with all that I had to do IEP's, monitering, etc. Giving up coaching HS football was really hard to swallow for me.
    It was also a hit in the pocket book but with the help from my wife, and owning a small farm (I WILL prevail).
    Let us know what you plan to do and keep up on your experiences daily.
    Good luck
    John