Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Solumedrol vs Prednisone

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Solumedrol vs Prednisone

In today's "Holy Smokes" discovery, I learned that solumedrol (the IV form of pred) is stronger than oral pred. I found this nifty conversion calculator, where you can put in the solumedrol dose (methylprednisolone) and get the corresponding prednisone dose.

Be prepared to be shocked unless you already knew this. All this time I thought I had started Wegs treatment in 2006 on 1,000 mg IV pred. (I thought calling it solumedrol was just a technicality.) Turns out that's equivalent to 1,250 mg pred. A whopping 1/4 higher than I thought.

And the 125 mg solumedrol I've been getting during rituxan IVs is actually 156 mg!!

The reason why this blows my mind so much is that I can barely tolerate 4 mg these days. No wonder I've been feeling so lousy. Sheesh.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And I thought I had it bad for 6 months on 60mg
    Jolanta

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1250 mg of Pred.....HOLY SMOKES!!!!!!

At that amount I would probaly weigh 350 lbs...and I thought 10mg was a lot.

Okay Sangye..you "is" officially the pred queen of this forum...hungry for Chocolate?????

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Surviving those high doses darn well oughta earn me a crown!! (or at least a nice little hat) The pred plus the excessive toxicity of ctx for those first 7-8 months are the reason I've never gotten back on my feet. I can see it now, having been on ctx for 4 months and at much lower doses of pred. I have better perspective.

The IV solumedrol each week is kicking my butt right now. Each week's treatment has been pretty hard on me. I feel really awful by the end and for several days afterward. I think it's mostly from the pred. One more ritux IV to go next week and I'm done. Then I'm getting back in the pool. Some exercise will feel good, plus the cool water will help with the constant sweats.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Red face

Holy cow! I thought 60 was horrible. I think I may have cleaned and killed everything and one in my way while running on the walls defying gravity.Dont know how I would handle that one. wow you are wonderful and amazing! I could use one of those nice cool pools right now too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

That's NOTHING!!! When I were a lad we lived in't shoebox in't middle 'o road AND had to have 25kg of Pred before we went to bed.

Seriously though, I was a grumpy toad on 60mg. What, pray tell, was your general mood when on 1250mg?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Forum Administrator
    Diagnosed March 2003.
    Currently but not permanetly residing in Canberra, Australia.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That was hysterical!! I sure needed the laugh, Andrew.

60 mg pred is nothing to sneeze at. But yeah, 20 times that was pretty tough. It made me very depressed and very angry. In a way it was a good experience to have such huge extremes, because now I can identify more subtle pred effects in myself and others. I have great sympathy for the person I was in those early days. My docs didn't explain anything--pred or other. I had horrible complications that were ignored until they almost killed me, and a rheumy who botched my care so badly I had permanent damage. It's given me a lot of compassion for other Weggies. It breaks my heart to read about other Weggies struggling, especially those newly-diagnosed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sangye View Post
    That was hysterical!! I sure needed the laugh, Andrew.
    You're welcome. I can always be trusted to make fun of a serious situation. I cracked a joke at a funeral once to the husband of the lady we were burying. He laughed

Quote Originally Posted by Sangye View Post
    It breaks my heart to read about other Weggies struggling, especially those newly-diagnosed.
    Yeah, if it's hard for us it's completely overwhelming for someone that's just been thrust into the weggie world for the first time.
    Forum Administrator
    Diagnosed March 2003.
    Currently but not permanetly residing in Canberra, Australia.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When I was on 1000mg of pred IV I was warned that it would give me mood swings, but I noticed nothing at all other than the great feeling of getting better! That is not to say that it did not affect me, just that I was unaware if it did.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When I was upset at whatever (doctors, Wegs, etc...) my therapist would always say things like "Well, I'm sure some of it is heightened due to the effects of the pred." I couldn't see it at all, until much later. BOY was it heightened!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast