Likes Likes:  0

Thread: SED rate

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question SED rate

I am wondering what everyone else's SED rate? I am trying to figure out how to use these sites.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Normal sed rate is less than 20 mm/hr. It is one measure of inflammation in your body. When inflammation is present, red blood cells tend to clump together and sink faster than individual cells. When I was flaring last summer and fall, my sed rate was anywhere from mid-20s to around 50 mm/hr. Now, I'm generally below 10 mm/hr.

Another test to measure inflammation is C-reactive protein. It is also used to indicate the presence of infection. It will NOT tell you where in your body the inflammation or infection is. Normal level of C-reactive protein is less than 10 mg/L. Over the past year, mine has fluctuated between 4 and 10 mg/L.

Taken together, they can tell you that inflammation or infection is present in your body, but not where. They can also help measure the severity.
    Pete
    dx 1/11

"Every day is a good day. Some are better than others." - unknown

"Take your meds as directed and live your life as fully as you can." - Michael Chacey, MD

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Something to keep in mind with sed rate is that it is easily influenced by any and all inflammation in your body, not just inflammation related to Weg's.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I read on the Johns Hopkins or Mayo site, not sure which, that women's normal SED rate range is a little higher than men's, so it can go a little over 20, but I don't remember the exact numbers. My last reading was 35, down from 57 when I had a flare this last winter and early spring. I think it has gotten as low as 23 in the past since I've been on treatment for WG. I think it was over 100 when I was first dx'ed. I think I should be lower than 35 by now, since the last bloodwork was almost a month ago and I'm feeling better.
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ruotsi1 View Post
    Something to keep in mind with sed rate is that it is easily influenced by any and all inflammation in your body, not just inflammation related to Weg's.
    Right, same with the CRP. These are non-specific markers of inflammation and can jump around for all kinds of reasons, so you shouldn't freak out if you see fluctuations. These tests have to be viewed in conjunction with your symptoms as well as your other lab results.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you all for your responses, My SED rate started at 107 now we finally have it in the 80s now but going down little by little. I was constantly having sinuse infections and that would cause alot of inflation also. So I believe that it is true it's not all from WG. To hear you all agreeing, I understand a little better. Thanks again CJ