Thread: pberggren memorial thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: pberggren memorial thread

Quote Originally Posted by gilders View Post
    Bat Horse has made his annual return as my avatar in honour of Phil and Barbara N's birthdays on June 7th.
    Thank you SO much dear Pete, for remembering our Batman and dear Barbara. The Bathorse is gorgeous.
    I will write more tomorrow and also on other threads.
    Alysia
    dx 2008

Here, in this forum, I have found my sweet eternal love, my beautiful Phil.. :
    https://www.wegeners-granulomatosis.com/forum/threads/4238-pberggren-memorial-thread
    "You are my sunshine", he used to sing to me... "you make me happy, when skies are grey" I still answer him.
    Rest in Peace, my brave Batman and take care of your weggies from heaven, until we meet again.

2. Likes Aneinu, gilders liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think of you and losing your soul mate every day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Likes Alysia liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NatriceRomeo View Post
    I think of you and losing your soul mate every day.

Thank you from the bottom of my heart ❤ God bless you.
    Alysia
    dx 2008

https://www.wegeners-granulomatosis.com/forum/threads/4238-pberggren-memorial-thread
    "You are my sunshine", he used to sing to me... "you make me happy, when skies are grey" I still answer him.
    Rest in Peace, my brave Batman and take care of your weggies from heaven, until we meet again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To my Sweetie,

Today you celebrate another birthday
    Living already deep into eternity
    and I celebrate the life you lived
    and the blessing that you were
    and still are
    to me and to so many
    during your time on Earth
    and also since you have flied high.

I can imagine how you celebrate
    Walking pains' free on heaven's streets
    and I can celebrate knowing what you have taught me -
    "For we know, if our earthly house of this habitation be dissolved, that we have a building of God, a house not made with hands, eternal in heaven".

You must be enjoying the angels' choirs (no more being deaf)
    and I celebrate sweet memories, of talking with you without words & beyond all words... and the silent beautiful "music" of just being near you.

How blessed you must feel, in the presence of Jesus and Mary, being home, like you have allways prayed for -
    and I say another prayer for you, knowing that God have already counted it for your sake.

You spread your cute smiles all over -
    and I smile back, remembering your melting sweetness.

And we both can celebrate our love,
    The time we spent,
    And the Hope of spending eternity together.

I love you,
    To infinity
    And beyond.

Happy Birthday sweetie.
    Alysia
    dx 2008

7. Likes mishb liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

At this time of the year, all the memories from 4 years ago are very alive... how I came to hold my beatiful Phil for real, the time we spent together...

I just miss him so much.........
    Last edited by Alysia; 07-19-2018 at 04:02 AM.
    Alysia
    dx 2008

9. Likes annekat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Alysia View Post
    At this time of the year, all the memories from 4 years ago are very alive... how I came to hold my beatiful Phil for real, the time we spent together...

11. Likes Alysia, annekat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Alysia View Post

It just seems so unfair that after that short, beautiful time you had together, he was so quickly taken away from you and his parents, whom you had just recently met. My heart goes out to you and his family . I'm thankful that at least you were there for him at the end and provided him with much happiness. I'm sorry for the burden you now must bear daily. I know your love is a deep one.

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

13. Likes Alysia liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by annekat View Post
    It just seems so unfair that after that short, beautiful time you had together, he was so quickly taken away from you and his parents, whom you had just recently met. My heart goes out to you and his family . I'm thankful that at least you were there for him at the end and provided him with much happiness. I'm sorry for the burden you now must bear daily. I know your love is a deep one.

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk
    I can't thank you enough, dear Anne, for your kind and beautiful words. I love you.
    Alysia
    dx 2008

15. Likes annekat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Today, 4 years ago, started in a magical place in Canmore, and ended up after many scary and rough hours in the hospital in Calgary.

We were supposed to drive back to Swift Current at that beautiful morning. Phil did his daily nebulizing and the new exercises he got from the respiratory therapist. (Exrecises with "acapela device", which we suspected later, caused his lung to collapse down).

Suddenly, my sweetie said that he was not feeling well. He asked me to pack for him and to take him straight to the hospital. He became at once very weak and quiet, in pain.

I dropped him in the ER and went to park the Batmobile. I had no idea that the Batmobile is going to stay at the same spot for weeks.

In few minutes I was back to him and I was scared to see that he was already surrounded by couple of nurses and being checked.

I asked him: "What did you tell them that they accepted you so fast ?".
    Dr. Phil said: "that I have pneumothorax".

Dr. Phil knows best.

I asked: "What does it mean ?"
    And he answered, sadly: "It means that I am in big trouble".

How right he was... I couldn't figure it out then, but my heart was shaking and I was frightened like hell.

Dr. Phil always knew how to say a lot, in few words.

Then they inserted through his rib cage a chest tube. At the same spot where Jesus had his fifth wound, the one pierced by the soldier.

It was terribly painful but my Batman didn't even bat. Not one sigh. He was making jokes with the stuff and then tried to make me happy, seeing me tearful.

He always knew how to make the best out of the worst. But he also allowed me to cry: "its ok. You can cry. Let it all out".

He held me. I held him. It felt like if we are together, no matter what, we are safe.

Sometimes I can still feel like that. Safe, like holding my sweetie's hand. Allways under the love of Our Lord.
    Alysia
    dx 2008

17. Likes Masha liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

More memories from this time of the year, 4 years ago...
    Sharing (again? Not sure I shared it here) the story that a roomate of us wrote. She is a proffesional writer.

~~~~~~

“You are my sunshine, my only sunshine
    You make me happy when skies are grey....”

I was sitting on my hospital bed, curtains fully closed around me, when I heard this song being sung in a low, raspy voice that I assumed came from an older gentleman. I felt so tired. When was the last time I’d slept through a full night? And so confused – who was I to believe? The nurses in Banff who insisted I continue using oxygen to ease my breathing, or the nurse at Foothills who had just insisted that I “get off” the oxygen and practise breathing properly without it? Just how sick was I? What ward was this, anyway? Why on earth did I need an ambulance to bring me to Calgary? Overkill, I thought. I have work to do, I thought. I just don’t have time for this.

Then I heard the gentle, raspy voice singing this very old, sweet song that my parents, and probably my grandparents, used to sing. I said, to whoever sat on the other side of the curtain, “That was beautiful.” The voice answered, “She came all the way from Israel for me. It’s still a dream to me.” I didn’t say any more, I couldn’t, I just sat there crying.

A few hours later, unable to sleep, I got up and made my way to the TV room, where I spent the night watching old SNL and Seinfeld episodes while the prednisone the doctor prescribed for me did its magical work. It was described to me as the “wonderful, horrible” drug during my stay, a corticosteroid medicine often used to effectively treat inflammatory disease, but with a list of possible side effects that reads like a horror story. Overnight I felt myself growing stronger, more alert; by morning I could breathe again. I felt like I could walk back to Banff.

That morning I felt up to meeting my neighbors. I said good morning to Ted, the cranky old guy across from me who had had a pretty rough nite, and no wonder with full-blown pneumonia (Ted turned out to be quite sweet, really, and funny). Then I turned to meet Betty, the older woman in the bed next to me who seemed to have a constant stream of family visiting, and whose husband I had assumed to be the singer. I said again that it had been beautiful to hear, but she had no memory of hearing a song; she had probably been asleep. A younger couple was sitting in the far corner of the room by the fourth bed, and I turned to look at them. The moment I saw a beautiful young dark-haired woman smiling up at me, I said, “It was you.” She was the woman who had come from Israel. A young man sat next to her, also smiling, and the various tubes and machines to which he was attached made me understand why the voice I heard had seemed older.

This is how I met Alysia and Phil. Over the next few days I learned a few things about these two. First and foremost, I learned how very much in love they are. Alysia and Phil both have Wegener's granulomatosis, which causes inflammation of the blood vessels, which in turn restricts blood flow to various organs. It often affects the lungs and upper respiratory tract and/or the kidneys, but it can affect other organs as well. There is a world-wide network of “Weggies” who connect online, and this is how Alysia and Phil first met.

Alysia is a beauty, a woman in her early forties who could be thirty, one of the most open-hearted people I have ever met, and in action, a force of nature.... I watched over the course of three days how she would immediately assess and discuss any changes in Phil’s condition with him, and if outside help was needed, she would go out into the pulmonary ward to find the person she needed to provide that help. She sat with him throughout the day, accompanied him on walks, and sat again with him into the wee hours of the night. Foothills kindly provides accommodation at a very reasonable price for people wanting to spend precious time with loved ones, so she would wander back to her room to catch a few hours of sleep at the end of each day.

Phil’s is, quite simply, the bravest soul I have ever encountered. This thirty-something, easy-going guy is known to friends as “the Batman” for his courage and strength. He is gentle, good-humored, extremely knowledgeable about his condition, and grateful for the care he receives from everyone – doctors, nurses, family, friends, and of course his great love, Alysia. When Phil was being wheeled out of the room to have a larger tube inserted into a collapsing lung, and the tears started welling up for me again, he grabbed my hand and was the one to put me at ease. He said it was going to be OK. And it was.

I’m not going to pretend to know much about Phil’s condition. I had a good chat with his Dad, and what I do know is that it has been a battle hard-fought, an emotional one and an expensive one as well; Medicare just doesn’t cover all the costs associated with dealing with this condition. Phil’s family come from Swift Current to visit when they can, and are happy to do whatever they can to help. The love and admiration are obvious; they know what a remarkable man he is. As part of Phil and Alysia’s community on facebook now, I see how that love and admiration has expanded. These brave people move and inspire so many.

So, what does one do in the face of all this love and courage? I still had a book deadline to meet, yes. I still wanted to vacate my much-needed hospital bed (the TV room had been cleaned out to accommodate patients waiting to get into proper rooms, and I heard from a nurse that many more were waiting in Emergency). I still wanted to get home to my own loved ones, and my beautiful, healing mountains. But Alysia and Phil had catapulted me out of myself for long periods of my hospital stay, and something significant had shifted in my thinking. It just wasn’t about me any more. I was sad to leave my new friends, sad for them because Alysia had to return to Israel and didn’t want to leave her man. Sad because the romantic and the artist in me wanted to write an epic ending to this amazing love story.
    Alysia
    dx 2008

19. Likes Masha, NatriceRomeo, gilders, drz liked this post
Page 94 of 99 FirstFirst ... 44849293949596 ... LastLast