Thread: pberggren memorial thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mrtmeo View Post
    Hi Alysia,
    How are you doing with the weg's and all this stress?
    I hope you are doing well.
    You and Phil sure shared some great moments and made an awesome couple.
    Thank you. you are very kind and supportive.
    my wg is in remssion for months, thanks to my sweet Phil who adviced me what to ask for and what to look for in my treatment. Dr. Phil was the best. I am on pred 5 mg a day and rtx every 6 months. I just had IV 2 weeks after I was back from Canada. it was extremely sad, because usually on previous rtx-days, Phil was chatting with me untill I fell asleep. now it felt so lonely without him....
    so my body is ok, but my soul is bleeding.... I miss Phil all the time. it helps a bit to remember the beautiful times we shared together and his sweet precious love, but then I start crying again.... I miss him so much, that I am exhausted from this sharp pain.... endless tears....
    Alysia
    dx 2008

Here, in this forum, I have found my sweet eternal love, my beautiful Phil.. :
    https://www.wegeners-granulomatosis.com/forum/threads/4238-pberggren-memorial-thread
    "You are my sunshine", he used to sing to me... "you make me happy, when skies are grey" I still answer him.
    Rest in Peace, my brave Batman and take care of your weggies from heaven, until we meet again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Alysia, I'm glad your WG is so well under control, given the stress and pain you have been through and are still experiencing. Dr. Phil was a good one and is still watching over you from above.
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

as I wrote above, the hospital did so many fatal mistakes. they killed my sweetie.
    I wrote to a lawyer asking about lawsuit against Foothils Medical Center. I wrote all the details.
    This is what he replied to me:

"I have now had a chance to review your synopsis of Phillip Berggren’s case. I apologize for the delay; my difficulty was not with your English but rather the medical complexity of Phillip Berggren (“Phil”)’s case. I do note, for example that there are studies linking the use of Fentanyl with respiratory depression and that there are potential adverse effects of Rituximab.

The problem is that Phil obviously had serious medical problems that resulted in his hospitalization. The existence of Wegener’s granulomatosis and bronchiacetesis makes this case difficult as these conditions were serious enough to make Phil a candidate for a lung transplant.

In order to establish negligence it would be necessary to prove, using medical experts, that Phil’s death was the result of the improper use of Fentanyl, an improperly inserted chest tube, failure to prove a timely chest x-ray, sub-standard infection prevention, insufficient expert consultation or the use of Rituximab. If the cause of death is undetermined or was the result of Wegener’s, bronchial stenosis, bronchiactesis or an underlying infection (ie. one not caused by sub-standard care) the case would not succeed and the Estate would have to pay legal costs.

Based on my review I would NOT be willing to commence a wrongful death action in this matter.

I would recommend you obtain a second opinion regarding this potential action, the following are excellent Calgary medical malpractice lawyers..... (deleted ....)

Damages in Alberta for wrongful death are limited to bereavement damages ($82,000 for parents, $82,000 for spouse, $49,000 for each children), funeral expenses, grief counseling and loss of dependency. A loss of dependency claim can be quite large depending on 1) Phil’s income; and 2) the number of dependents Phil had.

You have two years from the date of Phil’s death to file a claim on behalf of his beneficiaries."

this is his reply. another lawyer that he gave me her name wanted 10,000 dollar before we start to talk.
    its a shame.
    and its ridiculous that even if we can prove that they killed him, the amounts are very small.
    I dont want any money.
    but I do want to prevent other deaths like that.
    and I dont want them to continue like nothing after they killed my sweetie.... they must stop and think and check themsleves. to honor him. that his death will not be nothing to them.
    so....
    Last edited by Alysia; 11-18-2014 at 05:39 PM.
    Alysia
    dx 2008

https://www.wegeners-granulomatosis.com/forum/threads/4238-pberggren-memorial-thread
    "You are my sunshine", he used to sing to me... "you make me happy, when skies are grey" I still answer him.
    Rest in Peace, my brave Batman and take care of your weggies from heaven, until we meet again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SO, I will not let anyone kill my sweetie, without going to trial for it....
    and I am sure that they kill more patients with all this negligence.... and they dont care.
    Phil's parents wants me to do it. his mother can't sleep at nights, being so angry at the hospital.

so I wrote to the Minisitry of health of Alberta asking for investigation. I gave them all the details.
    at first they wanted me to give the details on the phone. I refused and wrote to them that the list is long and that it is too painful for me to talk about it.
    it is. tears are flowing without control and I am getting confused and English is not my language, so its harder to communicate. I sent them all the details.

now, another one wrote to me, asking again to talk on the phone.
    I dont want to but I might have to do it. what I am afraid of is that she will dismiss my claims and closed the case. NO WAY. not with me. not when they killed my sweetie.
    I want an investigation and I want the results on a formal paper. can I ask for such a thing ?
    In Israel it is obvious. but in Canada ? seems too dark country regarding life and death.....

any advices are welcomed.
    thank you for being here with me.
    Alysia
    dx 2008

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Alysia,
    I knew that is what would happen because I have had lawyers check into malpractice and none will take them.
    They give u every excuse in the book until there is a class action suit and then all the lawyers get onboard to make the money.
    I had the USA medical orgs that investigate malpractice look into my grandma's case and they told me that the drs are not required to submit ALL their info on how they treated the patient.
    They can submit none or what ever they want.
    Drs are protected from their mistakes.
    Maybe you can find a lawyer that would take the case pro bono that doesn't have greed involved?
    Can u call the vasculitis foundation to find out if the hospital was following proper protocol for someone with known wegener's?
    Maybe they can add something.
    Making a big enuf stink can sometimes get things done too.

I wish you well.
    Last edited by mrtmeo; 11-17-2014 at 04:28 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm sorry to hear that this is the possible outcome
    It is the same in Australia too. Doctors/medical profession are protected.

You would need to get some doctors and/or nurses on your side to confirm that they think some wrong doing has been done or for not following protocol.
    In this case it is also very difficult. What is the normal protocol for something that they don't normally come across.
    Whistle blowers (as we call them) are by law protected in Australia from wrongful dismissal for speaking out, but they always find others ways to punish or dismiss the person for giving information.
    Therefore it is very difficult or almost impossible to get someone to speak up.
    Keep Smiling
    Michelle

Live your life in a way that you wouldn't be ashamed to sell the family parrot to the town gossip - WILL ROGERS

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had the talk on the phone with the lady that is about to investigate his case. she was kind and decent and she wanted to check all the details to make sure she has all me claims. it was tough for me. I cried and got angry at certain points and was totally exhausted after it. she asked me about couple of things how do I know them, so I told her about our forum. she was curious about us and asked to my opinion in which country wg is treated best. I told her my opinion which is UK, US-in mayo and CC and maybe Australia. but Australia's weggies are doing fine because they have Michelle.....
    Alysia
    dx 2008

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

p.s. I told her that if her investigation will help to save other patients lives, and bring awerness about WG, it worth it.
    they can't kill him and continue like nothing happened. they must stop and check and change. at least that will be to honor his memory.
    Last edited by Alysia; 11-18-2014 at 05:40 PM.
    Alysia
    dx 2008

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Alysia,
    I hope you find someone to assist you. I would try to get connected with the Rare Disease Foundation in Canada they have a website RAREDISEASEFOUNDATION.ORG maybe they might have some advice. All the best to you.
    Jana

Do not fear anything, just do it afraid!
    It does not matter how slowly you go, as long as you do not stop!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Alysia, I have been reading your posts and praying for you as you go through this horrible time. Phil meant so much to so many of us.

I have often wished there was some easy way you could report medical errors. I wish there was a governmental agency that would quickly investigate & at least offer re-training so that the same errors don't keep occurring. I guess that's wishful thinking on my part.

Page 46 of 99 FirstFirst ... 3644454647485696 ... LastLast