R.I.P. Phil
    Diagnosed April 1995

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Finally was able to change our avatar!
    - You can judge the character of a person by how they treat those who can do nothing for them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am very sorry to read that Phil is no longer with us.
    May he rest in peace.
    Last edited by chrisTIn@; 10-06-2014 at 08:29 AM. Reason: I thought I succeeded in not showing my avatar, with respect for Phil. But I see my picture is still here. Sorry for that.
    Living with WG/GPA since june 2010...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been away from the forum for a while now, and was devastated to hear this news! Phil was the first to welcome me to the forum, and Alysia was the second one. This forum is like a second family to me, and it is so sad to lose another family member this year.

Please know that Phil's family and you Alysia are in my thoughts and prayers as you all mourn this terrible loss.

I believe I found a suitable avatar to express my love for motorcycling, and to honor a lost brother!
    MikeG-2012

"You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have"

rif Guest

Managed to upload avatar at last.

R.I.P. Phil

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is terribly sad news. Phil was such a big personality on here, it just won't be the same.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by marta View Post
    Alysia, have a safe trip home. Take care of yourself and heal some before taking on anything big. Take care of your own health and your family back home. You're on my mind and in my heart much.

I have to share this experience with you all because in the spirit of Phil, where we share booger size, amount of blood in our various bodily excrement, etc. this was what I woke up to this morning.

I didn't go to Calgary this week (for the Vasculitis Conference or to see Phil) because I got smoked with a nasty flu and have been at home dealing with symptoms very similar to those at onset. I haven't had one of these for a very very long time. One of said symptoms is a very stuffed nose, sinuses and lungs. So I've had a hard time sleeping with the symptoms. I wake up often and then have a hard time going back down. This morning, after a couple of wake ups, I had a dream that felt so real I woke up crying. It was me in my dream, but in hindsight I feel like it was Phil coming by to show me, and it all revolved around not being able to get enough oxygen into my lungs. I was trying as hard as I could, but with the wheezing, and the inflammation and phlegm that was going on (moreso in my dream than in real life) I felt like I was slowly drowning. I was trying to ask for help from Brian, who in my dream was beside me in bed, but in reality wasn't, but my words didn't have enough oxygen to hold on to in order to escape my body. I woke up in tears, and my heart just melted for Phil. I really feel like he came by to show me what he was feeling near the end.

He was the first Weggie I met in person, in real living colour. Phil and I saw things differently often and butted heads a lot, but we also shared a lot in common. It wasn't so much the outcome that Phil and I saw differently but more the approach. He did everything he did because he wanted to save people. He wanted everyone on the planet to be 'saved' - both physically and spiritually, and he took it upon himself to get to that end the best way he knew how. Phil took a big hit from this disease, he has suffered from it a very long time at the hands of many incompetent doctors and some great ones. Too bad that he got stuck with the not so great ones in the end. This disease however also gave him a circle of friends truly global, not something many others in his Saskatchewan town can boast. It also brought him together with the love of his life, who I can say pretty confidently surpasses the love and understanding anyone near his home could have afforded. There are blessings in everything, even something as gross as WG or GPA, and we have all been blessed to know this little Batman from Saskatchewan, who got his moniker by hanging a dude upside down over a bridge to protect the honour of a female friend. He and I shared WG and a stubbornness beyond normal, which is why we butted heads so often, but he is now with some greats up there, watching over us all.
    Thank you so much for sharing your dream marta. He did save me. I wish I could save him as well. Next time that he comes to your dream please send him to my dreams. Tell him I need him like oxygen....
    Alysia
    dx 2008

Here, in this forum, I have found my sweet eternal love, my beautiful Phil.. :
    https://www.wegeners-granulomatosis.com/forum/threads/4238-pberggren-memorial-thread
    "You are my sunshine", he used to sing to me... "you make me happy, when skies are grey" I still answer him.
    Rest in Peace, my brave Batman and take care of your weggies from heaven, until we meet again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LisaT View Post
    Just read Alysia's response, maybe I was wrong about him not wanting the machines?
    He was dying anyway. The machine just gave a bit of time to bring the priest like he wanted. The co2 in his blood were in crazy levels that the lab couldnt even estimate. Bp was dropping more and more. Heart rate got higher and higher. Crazy numbers. If it was not stopping to breath, the heart was stopping.
    Alysia
    dx 2008

Here, in this forum, I have found my sweet eternal love, my beautiful Phil.. :
    https://www.wegeners-granulomatosis.com/forum/threads/4238-pberggren-memorial-thread
    "You are my sunshine", he used to sing to me... "you make me happy, when skies are grey" I still answer him.
    Rest in Peace, my brave Batman and take care of your weggies from heaven, until we meet again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Alysia View Post
    He was dying anyway. The machine just gave a bit of time to bring the priest like he wanted. The co2 in his blood were in crazy levels that the lab couldnt even estimate. Bp was dropping more and more. Heart rate got higher and higher. Crazy numbers. If it was not stopping to breath, the heart was stopping.
    Thanks for the explanation, Alysia. I have recently read a little about CO2 poisoning and how dangerous it is. I'm still not clear on how he got it, except maybe by shallow breathing and not getting enough oxygen. I'm not clear to what extent the hospital was at fault. But at this point, what's done is done, and I'm happy that the priest made it there in time. I hope that Phil was awake enough to know the priest was there, but even if not, the priest did his job the way that Phil wanted.
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Page 30 of 99 FirstFirst ... 2028293031324080 ... LastLast