Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Post nasal drip - Imuran?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Post nasal drip - Imuran?

My mom has had this post nasal drip gradually getting worse with a cough that is now, all day long and started out only at night.
    This has been happening shortly after starting the imuran 100mg per day.
    Has anyone else had post nasal drip with cough while on imuran?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've had both all along, but I'm pretty sure mine are disease related, and not drug related. Is it possible she's getting further symptoms?
    ~ Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ditto what Bob said. I think most of us with any sinus involvement have post nasal drip and coughing no matter what meds we are on. It may be worse for some than for others. Mine is finally improving, after 3.5 years of treatment, with two flares during that time. I've never been on Imuran, just CTX and now, MTX, along with pred and Bactrim.
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have this too. Was hoping it would go away. I have only taken Rituxin, with prednisone etc. My sinus has always been an issue just never with the cough so much. Not sure what it is from.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by loisann11 View Post
    I have this too. Was hoping it would go away. I have only taken Rituxin, with prednisone etc. My sinus has always been an issue just never with the cough so much. Not sure what it is from.
    Not sure either, other than the inflammation of WG causing excess mucus in the sinuses which causes the post nasal drip, which causes the cough. Also, more crusting of the mucus with WG than with regular sinus infections, which could make it more irritating. And maybe some inflammation in the bronchial tubes and throat could be causing irritation, too. Changes in diet could also affect the amount of mucus produced. Just lately, I've stopped eating nearly as much wheat, and my cough has improved. I hope yours does, too.
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Bob, Anne and Lois,
    I think that you are right about the post nasal drip being due to WG's because it is so common and trachael inflammation maybe the root cause.
    Anne, so glad to hear yours is improving, but sad that it took 3.5 years.

Subglottic Stenosis and Vasculitis Patients
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BifdvorrUJ8

Laryngologists will sometimes use a topical steroid in the throat to bring down the inflammation to reduce the tracheal stenosis.
    My mom's case could be different because she did have an ulcer that was healing and she has MPA (Microscopic Polyangiitis). she used to have a dry cough only at night that went away with protonix (acid reflux med), but she is now on the protonix and has not let up at all and got worse over a weeks time.
    I sure hope my mom is not developing tracheal stenosis, but anything is possible with this nasty disease.
    However, the side effects for Imuran lists a persistant dry or moist cough and my mom's started right after starting the Imuran.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If it is one or the other, I hope it is the Imuran causing the cough and your mom is not developing tracheal stenosis. In my case, I have no reason to think it's either, because I don't take Imuran. I did watch half of the video, and saved the rest for later. That is interesting, seeing it up close and listening to true experts at that type of surgery. I have had my trachea looked at by my ENT a couple of times, and no narrowing was apparent, nor did he see the granulomas and such, but it's been awhile.... In any case, I hope your mom starts to get some relief from the cough somehow.

And I think the topical steroid inhaler is a pretty good idea. I have used them in the past for asthma, and have a prescription for one, but I'd sort of forgotten about it.
    Last edited by annekat; 08-29-2014 at 09:20 PM.
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do the Wegs symptoms ever go away completely?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by brew22 View Post
    Do the Wegs symptoms ever go away completely?
    I've heard and experienced that the sinus symptoms take longest to go away, if they ever do. There may be permanent damage to the sinus and nasal cavities. The symptoms should at least improve over time, if the disease activity is brought under control.
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by annekat View Post
    If it is one or the other, I hope it is the Imuran causing the cough and your mom is not developing tracheal stenosis. In my case, I have no reason to think it's either, because I don't take Imuran. I did watch half of the video, and saved the rest for later. That is interesting, seeing it up close and listening to true experts at that type of surgery. I have had my trachea looked at by my ENT a couple of times, and no narrowing was apparent, nor did he see the granulomas and such, but it's been awhile.... In any case, I hope your mom starts to get some relief from the cough somehow.

And I think the topical steroid inhaler is a pretty good idea. I have used them in the past for asthma, and have a prescription for one, but I'd sort of forgotten about it.
    Hi Anne,
    Your guifensen suggesting was the thing that helped the most.
    I really think she is going to die.
    she is being neglected by her drs.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast