Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: wheezing stenosis?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default wheezing stenosis?

My mom had a 4 week course of rituxan with one week cytoxan last month.
    It has been 2 weeks since last dose and she is now on imuran.
    Ever since starting the treatments, she has had this constant wheeze.
    The wheeze is not in her lungs but sounds like it is somewhere between her neck and upper respiratory system.
    Inhalers do not help it at all.
    She only wheezes on exhale.
    Her prior CT scan and xrays did not show any stenosis.
    She has MPA determined by a kidney biopsy.
    She has nodules and ground glass opacities in her lungs.

Could she have developed stenosis while on therapy?
    Does this sound like stenosis and would an ENT be able to tell if there is narrowing?

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Has she had a lung function test which should also help assess breathing issues? A peek down the throat with a larynx scope could also help assess situation. Also look at the youtube video recently posted here about stenosis for more info.
    Knowledge is power! Wisdom is using it to make good decisions!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Could be mucus collected in the windpipe. That happens to me. Though I can't say the wheezing is only on exhale. But I hope it is as simple an explanation as that. If she gets the urge to cough, some liquid guaifenesin (expectorant without the cough suppressant) could help loosen it up and get it out of there. I hope it is not stenosis, but yes, an ENT could tell by looking in there with a scope.
    Last edited by annekat; 08-18-2014 at 11:35 AM.
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Could be some swelling at the back of the throat if she has any kind of post nasal drip. I had wheezing from that back in January. The pulmonologist listened to my throat with a stethoscope to determine the exact location. When he figured out where it was coming from he looked down my throat which was very red and swollen. It went away when the post nasal drip slowed down. I had never had this either.
    Cindy

Earth is just a stopover and whatever you achieve there is only a small part of the deal. The Afterlife Of Billy Fingers

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by drz View Post
    Has she had a lung function test which should also help assess breathing issues? A peek down the throat with a larynx scope could also help assess situation. Also look at the youtube video recently posted here about stenosis for more info.
    Hi Drz,
    I posted the video.
    She has not had a lung function test and I know it would show practically no function due to her emphysema and vasculitis nodules.
    My mom had an EGD before starting vasculitis treatments and they didn't mention any stenosis.
    Her Neph said her lungs sound clear and doesn't think it is stenosis.
    She does have some post nasal drip, so it could be glue like mucus stuck in her throat.
    However, she has always had trouble swallowing big pills and didn't have this throat or nasal wheeze before.
    I emailed the vasculitis foundation to try and find an ENT well versed in vasculitis because she saw 2 ENT's in the past and they couldn't find anything except a little inflammation on a CT scan when she had sinus and ear blockage feelings.
    Last edited by mrtmeo; 08-18-2014 at 03:15 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by annekat View Post
    Could be mucus collected in the windpipe. That happens to me. Though I can't say the wheezing is only on exhale. But I hope it is as simple an explanation as that. If she gets the urge to cough, some liquid guaifenesin (expectorant without the cough suppressant) could help loosen it up and get it out of there. I hope it is not stenosis, but yes, and ENT could tell by looking in there with a scope.
    Hi Anne,
    I don't like to use medications if at all possible, but I will take a look at the Guaifensin.
    Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by windchime View Post
    Could be some swelling at the back of the throat if she has any kind of post nasal drip. I had wheezing from that back in January. The pulmonologist listened to my throat with a stethoscope to determine the exact location. When he figured out where it was coming from he looked down my throat which was very red and swollen. It went away when the post nasal drip slowed down. I had never had this either.
    Hi Cindy,
    I read most of the posts regarding your lung situation and pray that you find the best solution soon.
    She has the post nasal drip and inflammation could be the problem even tho she is on prednisone and Imuran.
    It seems the throat needs the steroids directly verses systemically for effectiveness.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by windchime View Post
    What did you do to resolve the post nasal drip?
    I have read that acid reflux can cause this too and my mom has barrett's esophagus and a healing peptic ulcer.
    She rarely ever felt any acid reflux.
    This made it difficult to diagnose.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The pred helped the pnd, at which time the swelling went down and the wheezing disappeared. I have GERD to and they like to blame things on that also. Personally I think it was the pred drying up the pnd. Sometimes the acid comes up into the throat and can cause ulcers and/or swelling. The swelling in itself could cause the wheezing. If the wheezing is being caused by swelling, whatever the cause, and good ENT should be able to find the cause. Good luck to you and your mom.
    Last edited by windchime; 08-18-2014 at 10:10 AM.
    Cindy

Earth is just a stopover and whatever you achieve there is only a small part of the deal. The Afterlife Of Billy Fingers

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mrtmeo View Post
    Hi Anne,
    I don't like to use medications if at all possible, but I will take a look at the Guaifensin.
    Thanks.
    Guaifenesin is from a tree bark. I think it is considered pretty safe, non-addictive, etc. It is the same ingredient as in regular Mucinex pills (not the DM or other ones with added drugs), and those pills when taken on a continuous basis will also help thin the mucus, whether it is in the sinuses, nose, throat, or chest. I have found for myself that if I have a lot of trouble coughing things up, the liquid expectorant version works better and more quickly than the pills. It can be found in brands like Robitussin or house brands at drug stores, often called Tussin. It can be hard to find it without the DM cough suppressant, so read the label carefully, since that stuff is not at all good to take for very long.
    Last edited by annekat; 08-18-2014 at 11:43 AM.
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast