Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What is guifensen?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's a substance from a tree bark. It is the ingredient in Mucinex. It thins and loosens mucus and makes it easier to cough up or blow out of the nose. Mucinex is good to take on a continuous basis; I'd recommend the 1200mg. extended release version twice a day. You can also get it in generic forms, but maybe not in that version. HOWEVER, for stubborn stuff that won't cough up out of the bronchii or the back of the throat, i recommend LIQUID guaifenesin. It seems to work faster, in my experience. It is sold as Expectorant or Tussin in generic brands, or brands like Robitussin, on the shelf with the cough syrups. BE CAREFUL, though, do not get the one that contains Dextromethorpan, which is a cough suppressant, as it may suppress the cough but you will be coughing less up, AND it has a rebound effect after a few days where you will be coughing more than you need to to cough the stuff up. Those ones are usually labelled DM; read the label and don't get those, just get the plain Guaifenesin syrup, which may be harder to find. Rite Aid and Walgreen's have their own house brands of it.

Also, when using any form of guaifenesin, it will help a lot to drink plenty of water!
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you so much. I've been taking mucinex for about 2 weeks. I think it's helping a a bit but I haven't been consistent. I sure will now

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by daystarr8 View Post
    Thank you so much. I've been taking mucinex for about 2 weeks. I think it's helping a a bit but I haven't been consistent. I sure will now
    Make sure to drink lots of water and if mucinex doesn't help enough, use the guaifenesin syrup.
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ok, went to see the laryngologist who apparently has seen someone with wegener's.
    He scoped her throat and there was no stenosis, thank God.
    He only heard her cough once and said he thinks it is coming from her lungs, but I listened with a stethescope and could hear it coming from her throat.
    He didn't even listen to her lungs nor did he recommend she see an ENT.
    He has done studies on acid reflux and the pepsin enzyme, but had nothing to say about whether her post nasal drip is from GERD or not.
    I was not impressed.

So, we don't know if her post nasal drip or mucus is from acid reflux or the MPA in the lungs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Update:
    Her cough is gone again, since starting the Mofetil.
    Hopefully, it is gone for good.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have stenoses and this wheeze sound on exhale is very distinctive - they listen for it and it is the stenosis issues. My lungs are very stenosed. At one point, I was having lazer treatment to reopen some of the stenoses. Now in a bit of a battle to try to get that on an ongoing basis. A Scotland England funding issue. In order to not deteriorate further, the best therapy for me has been to swim, swim and swim again. I understand that swimming may not be possible often or with certain cases or for many reasons. But if you can, swim. For joints, for lymphatics, for lungs. Best way to keep scarred lungs as healthy as possible.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Kim,
    Stenosis is so debilitating and am glad you have a way to help.
    I wish I knew of something that could eat scar tissue and serrapeptase is supposed to do that, but there are no studies showing this.
    The problem with cutting the tissues is scaring.
    Some use a topical steroid on the inflammation if it is in the early stages, but the cytotoxic drugs don't seem to get rid of this problem.
    I have seen some new stents on youtube that are removable that sound interesting.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Mrtmeo (again, my stenoses are small and many. Certain lobes have gone but it has been over a very long period of time (decades) and so the working lobes have kind of overcompensated and got bigger. There has been no decline over say six or so years and I do everything I can to keep it as open as possible. I work in a quite demanding job full time and the only indication to the outside world is that I get puffy going up stairs and if I am exherting. My breathing sounds a bit strange and I have to be so, so careful with chest infections. My worst problem with chest is often getting docs to take what I am saying on board. I often end up in confrontation just to get properly treated.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Will look into these stents, thanks.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast