Thread: 1mg difference. REALLY???

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default 1mg difference. REALLY???

So, I'm a bit frustrated.

I've been holding steady at 20mg of methotrexate and 10mg of prednisone since late May. Last week my rheumy told me to drop to 9mg of prednisone. I've known this was coming - and that was cool by me. However, right after I started at 9, I got a two day migraine. I've only had one other migraine that's lasted more than a day - the week before my first definitive symptom popped up (scleritis). My hearing also started to fluctuate and I have new tones for my tinnitus. Eh, that happens occasionally, so I didn't think much of it.

And then today, I blew my nose and there's some blood in it. Not a lot, but enough to shock me. I haven't had any blood in my nose since April. I started putting all these pieces together - along with being really tired this week, and threw my hands up. Really??? One lousy milligram can make this difference?

Seriously, can one milligram make the difference? It seems so odd to me. Thoughts?

Jen
    "You don't have a soul. You are a soul. You have a body." C.S. Lewis

http://www.sensinganenemy.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's strange isn't ?

Its probably just WG doing it's annoying thing to you.

You know, I know it's not the right thing to do but I took myself off all my meds cold turkey nearly 2 years ago. I was on cyclophosphamide, I think 15 mg of Prednisolone and about 5 other meds and nothing happened to me.

They say it could have hospitalised me but nothing happened at all !!!

As we all know, this disease effects everyone in a different manner.

Stay well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It is possible but it could also be a flare coinciding with the reduction in prednisone. I would go back up to 10mgs for a few days and see if the symptoms disappear. if they do then you know that even 1mg is too much of a reduction for you and you should reduce by 1/2 mg. If the symptoms continue at 10mg then you could be flaring and you should speak to your doctor,

Rose

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jen,I have been on 5 mg for about 4 years. I was told by my rheumy I could wean off it . At first I went to 4 mg. and had withdrawal symtems, then went back to 5 after that I tried 4 3/4 and still got ill. SOOOO yes 1 mg can make a difference. My kidney dr said it could take up to a year to get off the 5. Good Luck.
    Life isn't about how you survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain !

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm on day three of a monstrous headache going down to 5 mg from 6. Hadn't realized until I read your post that this is likely why, or at least part of the reason. I'll go back up to 6 and see what happens. Rose's advice sounds good.
    Just when the caterpillar thought the world was over, she became a butterfly.
    - English proverb.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This pred tapering thing is a bear! I haven't been below 7.5 and have flared every time I get that low. I'm now supposed to be dropping from 15 to 12.5 by alternating the 10mg and 15mg doses. I told the doc I will do it when I am ready. He said OK. He's finally getting it.
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the encouragement. Seriously. I don't feel crazy or alone! And sometimes I do with this stuff.

Well, I might just go up to 10 again. My migraine is returning tonight. Encore presentation. Awesome.

I'm going to see if imitrex will help it, but it didn't earlier this week. I'm also thinking about just pushing thru the weekend to see if this passes. If it doesn't, I'll call my rheumatologist. <sigh>

One. Lousy. Milligram. Grrrrrrr! Oh, prednisone. I love and hate you all at once.
    "You don't have a soul. You are a soul. You have a body." C.S. Lewis

http://www.sensinganenemy.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Debra C View Post
    Jen,I have been on 5 mg for about 4 years. I was told by my rheumy I could wean off it . At first I went to 4 mg. and had withdrawal symtems, then went back to 5 after that I tried 4 3/4 and still got ill. SOOOO yes 1 mg can make a difference. My kidney dr said it could take up to a year to get off the 5. Good Luck.

I used 1/4 mg reductions too on way down to 5 mg. I got some 1's and 2.5's and cut them as needed to make it work. My reductions of 1/4 mg were noticeable but not too serious but often it took a couple weeks or more before I felt ready to cut my dosage further.
    Knowledge is power! Wisdom is using it to make good decisions!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by drz View Post
    I used 1/4 mg reductions too on way down to 5 mg. I got some 1's and 2.5's and cut them as needed to make it work. My reductions of 1/4 mg were noticeable but not too serious but often it took a couple weeks or more before I felt ready to cut my dosage further.
    Funny how some people need really small reductions and others can go a lot faster. I suppose it could have to do with how long they were on high dose pred, or over 20mg. I've never gone as slow as 1/4, but I suppose it would be worth a try, and I do have a good supply of 1, 5, and 10mg pills. My doc would probably laugh at the suggestion, not that he really knows anything. He did mention to me a couple of times that I shouldn't try to go below 5mg. on my own, but I haven't run into that situation yet.
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some classic advice here Jen about pred (the necessary evil) and tapering.

The basic advice is the lower you drop, the slower you go.

What I found out was that my immunosuppresant was'nt up to the job, and so effectively I was "fire fighting" with the pred. You might like to keep that in your locker as you go and report back to your Doc. Keep a Diary, but it seems you are on that case already!! Good Luck.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast