Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wegeners and cancer

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Besides the CTX increasing our risk for cancer, there was also the numerous x-rays and scans to monitor bleeding in the lungs for those of us so afflicted.
    Knowledge is power! Wisdom is using it to make good decisions!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by drz View Post
    Besides the CTX increasing our risk for cancer, there was also the numerous x-rays and scans to monitor bleeding in the lungs for those of us so afflicted.
    That's something I worry about... I've had quite a few X-rays and two CT-scans in the past years. Also my dentist takes x-rays every two years, and I am tested for breastcancer every two years with several X-rays each time.
    A radiologist I know talked with me for quite some time, but he cannot say how much radiation is too much.
    He did tell me that the x-rays that are used in CT-scans are 'harder' rays, that are less absorbed by the body than the 'softer' rays that are used to monitor female breast-tissue.
    I worry if, besides the fact that my immune-system is compromised, the radiation that I absorbed played a role in the development of the tumor that I have now, but I guess I will never find a 100% accurate answer to that question.
    I will have to deal with these insecureties...

Statistics say that in my age group (50 and up) most new cases of cancer are breastcancers. Also with women who are NOT immunecompromised.
    Living with WG/GPA since june 2010...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Christine,

I am sorry to hear that you now have this to face. I hope that everything turns out alright for you. It was good for you to have the surgeon contact your wegs doctors. It seems like they found it quickly. Wishing you all the best with your surgery and treatment.
    Jana

Do not fear anything, just do it afraid!
    It does not matter how slowly you go, as long as you do not stop!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Christine, I wish I had advice for you. Unfortunately this has never been anything I personally researched. You will be in my thoughts and prayers. Just stay strong weggies are built stronger then the rest which is why we were given this particular burden to carry.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by chrisTIn@ View Post
    That's something I worry about... I've had quite a few X-rays and two CT-scans in the past years. Also my dentist takes x-rays every two years, and I am tested for breastcancer every two years with several X-rays each time.
    A radiologist I know talked with me for quite some time, but he cannot say how much radiation is too much.
    He did tell me that the x-rays that are used in CT-scans are 'harder' rays, that are less absorbed by the body than the 'softer' rays that are used to monitor female breast-tissue.
    I worry if, besides the fact that my immune-system is compromised, the radiation that I absorbed played a role in the development of the tumor that I have now, but I guess I will never find a 100% accurate answer to that question.
    I will have to deal with these insecureties...

Statistics say that in my age group (50 and up) most new cases of cancer are breastcancers. Also with women who are NOT immunecompromised.
    When I was in ICU and bleeding a lot in lungs they often had a daily x-ray to monitor the bleeding and they told me to try avoid any unnecessary ones but what is unnecessary one. The dentist will think they are necessary to monitor your dental health, the pulmonary doctor to check for pneumonia and so on. So what happens if you refuse an X-ray and then mis an important early diagnosis of a problem while it could be treated easier.

But X-rays are NOT only increased risk factor. I just found out the GERD I have had for years which was made worse by prednisone also increases my risk of esophageal cancer and maybe some others too. I will have a scope of both ends as soon as I can do safely (must be off all aspirin for one week first) to address these concerns brought on by my latest symptoms.

I know some cancer victims have refused the treatment cause they said the treatment drugs will just bring on another type of cancer in a few years or just ruin the time they have left so why bother to go through the brutal treatment. Some times this makes sense to me but generally I like to be hopeful for a good outcome.
    Knowledge is power! Wisdom is using it to make good decisions!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by drz View Post
    ...generally I like to be hopeful for a good outcome.
    You are a very strong and inspiring person, drz. I Always like reading your comments and remarks.
    And yes, you defenitely have a point about x-rays in general. What is the choise you have when your health is endangered?
    I my case, I could have had an echografic investigation earlier, I think. The x-rays I had, didn't give too many essential information.
    But afterwards, when you know the outcome, it's easy said, and we can't get back to yesterday.
    GERD is a risk for sure, for stomach- and other cancers.
    I really hope the investigation you're about to do when you're off the aspirine has a reassuring outcome.
    Living with WG/GPA since june 2010...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm sorry you've received this distressing news, Christine, but hopeful that since they caught it early and the tumor is small, that it can be dealt with quickly and easily without a lot of harsh treatments or complications. All the best to you!
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12