Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Fast sliding out of control ... Stress stress stress :(

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Inge, somehow my earlier post seemed to experience a time lag before going up... I definitely was not on the forum at 1 am as the time-stamp suggests (vdub, Andrew, does this or can this happen? Strange...) It was before you posted about your son being found and committed, sorry if it seemed out of context or non-sensical. I'm relieved for you and hope things get better and calm down from here.
    Just when the caterpillar thought the world was over, she became a butterfly.
    - English proverb.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Lisa. It was posted in the right order I just mistyped Debra instead of Lisa when I responded lol . I have fixed my post I am not sure which time zones this forum uses. Thanks for your concern I really appreciate your good advice and comforting messages.
    "Slow and Steady wins the Race"
    All the best, Inge

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Inge, a family member of mine was also suffering from schizophrenia. As with Wegs, getting the right treatment can make all the difference. Once he started Abilify, he started to act normal once again. If your son is on some older meds, I suggest you bring up Abilify with the docs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi tring_vu I will mention to the psychiatrist when I see them next. Peter has been on the same stuff for over 20 years. olanzapine. When he was given it we were told it has the least side effects. However the reason he has not been changed is partly his fault and partly the fault of the way the changes are explained to him. For instance a few years ago they decided to try out a new drug. They asked him lots of questions re heart disease in the family. Also gave him a CD and told him they would give it to me. Then they told him it is important to find out re the heart disease because if he had a predisposition to heart disease this stuff could kill him.

Absolutely great way to sell a new drug to a paranoid Schizophrenic. He went on full alert, nearly burst a blood vessel and got it into his mind they simply wanted to kill him off. When they gave me the CD with the info he immediately ripped it out of my hand. End of discussion re any change of drug at that stage.

They are by law obliged to explain all the nitty gritty. If I were to take the side effects of everything I am taking serious I would end up with a mental illness or wonder if dying of the disease is a better option

I can read the extensive literature accompanying medications with a grain of salt and understand it's all about litigation and legally keeping themselves squeaky clean. But I still think there could have been a better way to discuss this with someone suffering from Paranoia

Of course if I had then tried to talk him into taking it I would have become the devil himself and Peter probably would have avoided ever listening to any advice from me. Mind you he doesn't take much onboard from anyone.
    All the best, Inge

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just studying up on Abilfy. Here is what they suggest it is good for:

NDICATIONS: ABILIFY is indicated for:

• Use as an add-on treatment to an antidepressant for adults with Major Depressive Disorder who have had an inadequate response to antidepressant therapy
    • Treatment of manic or mixed episodes associated with Bipolar I Disorder in adults and in pediatric patients 10 to 17 years of age
    • Treatment ofSchizophrenia in adults and inadolescents 13 to 17 years of age
    • Treatment of irritability associated with Autistic Disorder in pediatric patients 6 to 17 years of age

However they also mention one side effect Peter would absolutely hate:

• Uncontrollable movements of face, tongue, or other parts of body, as these may be signs of a serious condition called tardive dyskinesia (TD). TD may not go away, even if you stop taking ABILIFY. TD may also start after you stop taking ABILIFY

I will discuss with the Psychiatrist what other options are available. He is on 3 weekly injections at the highest level possible and gets oral meds on top of it. So a change may be warranted and as he is in hospital would be a good time to experiment so they can observe him whilst he swaps over. Thanks for bringing this up. Peter also gets an antidepressant, not sure which one. I will have to write down the name next time I see him.

All the best, Inge

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123