Yes...it makes sense to give it a try
    Jacquie (aka Lifelong Booknut)

Updated status: "Honorary Weggie"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks Anne. I will start looking into what i need to do to get a referral to someone at CC.

I don't think I had an actual biopsy. The ent definitely took samples which showed up a certain kind of bacteria. The antibiotic he prescribed was targeted at that bacteria.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks Lisa. I am lucky to have a Primary Care who has an integrated medicine practice. I will ask her about what you mention here. At her suggestion I have eliminated wheat. i do cheat upon occasion...but don't notice any effects to a small slip. I will give eliminating dairy a try. But I don't know how I will manage without my yogurt. The non dairy yogurts have a lot of carbs. I've eaten wheat and dairy all my life...but all of this did not start till 4 years ago. Odd.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BookNut View Post
    Thanks Anne. I will start looking into what i need to do to get a referral to someone at CC.

I don't think I had an actual biopsy. The ent definitely took samples which showed up a certain kind of bacteria. The antibiotic he prescribed was targeted at that bacteria.
    Have you inquired about a self referral? Often this is easiest. The Clinic can request info from all the other doctors but it is often best practice to advise these doctors ahead that you are going for a consultation or second opinion at another facility. If your case is puzzling and confusing, they will be relieved that you initiated it. Any good physician will be happy to follow through with the recommendations from the "expert" if you also agree with the plan and it makes sense medically.
    Knowledge is power! Wisdom is using it to make good decisions!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I hope self referral is an easy option. I'm on Medicare and am supposed to not need referrals but am finding that some docs require them anyway. Even my ENT's office wanted one after I'd switched plans and hadn't been to him for a long time, so I got one from the pulmy that the ENT had referred me to! And I was told by the front desk they want one once a year, or something like that, because insurance has become so complicated. Weird. But I think I may have heard of someone on here, or more than one, being able to self-refer at the CC. I hope so, if that is the easiest option.
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jacquie, I also go to CC and see Dr. Gary Hoffman as a reumy. As far as needing a referral ,you don't. You can look into their webpage and you can look up different drs. by their specially such as pulmanary and ent and I am almost sure they just opened up a food and health center there as well. I go in Sept. and I was going to see about going there at the same time. But alot of times when you call they will ask if you need an appt for the next day. That would be unlikely for that to happen since you would be a new patient. But you should try and see if you could get appts with different drs. the same day. And make sure you take along any med rec or copies of any scans you have ( I get copies of EVERTHING ) your hosp will put them on a disc. for you and they can be read there. I don't know how far your daughter lives from the clinic but if needed they do have motels close by that give discounts if u tell them you are going to the clinic and also shuttle buses. Let me know if you need any other info and Good Luck...hope you get this all figured out soon and we know just exactly what to call you...non-weggie !!
    Life isn't about how you survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain !

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So far I like Honorary Weggie - but should the diagnosis be different, I would be pleased to at least KNOW, and I would be proud to be a full-fledged member of the group!!

Thank you for the recommendation. I am assembling everything together as far as paper work goes. I will ask about getting all records onto a CD. Not sure exactly when I can pursue all this. My soon-to-deliver daughter must get all of our attention right now. When things settle down a bit....

She lives between Cleveland and Sandusky. There seem to be a few different options in the area. But I need to buckle down to some serious research.

Thanks again for the help!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I saw Dr. Villa-Forte for the first time this past week. I was extremely impressed, to say the least. I traveled from Washingtin state and will likely be back in the next month. I self-referred and had no issues at all. I did confirm that my insurance was going to cover services done in Cleveland prior to going.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ruotsi1 View Post
    I saw Dr. Villa-Forte for the first time this past week. I was extremely impressed, to say the least. I traveled from Washingtin state and will likely be back in the next month. I self-referred and had no issues at all. I did confirm that my insurance was going to cover services done in Cleveland prior to going.
    That's great. I wish someone like her would come and practice in this area, say, at the UW rheumatology clinic. I do hear there are some pretty good docs at UW, though.
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have not tried UW, my rheumy is in Lakewood, and I think she does a pretty good job. It will be interesting to see how the doctors work together to optimize my care.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast