Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Prednisone Withdrawal

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Prednisone Withdrawal

I'm once again tapered back to 5mg...like 5th time now. We are pretty sure I'm not going to make it below 3mg at this point as I flare every time I get to 2 mg or less. Just wondered how long the withdrawal symptoms last for other people that make it longer than me?

I always forget the annoying body pain when I'm on higher doses. The last few days I get these "feathers" of pain (sorry can't think of a better word) off of my spine. And when I sleep whatever side I'm on hurts...or both sides depending on how much I toss and turn. First time around I thought I was flaring but pretty sure this is just from my body wondering where the heck those steroids are.

Doctors think I'm weird because I refuse all narcotic pain relievers, but if this is what a simple addiction to steroids feels like I want no part of an opiate based addiction.
    Last edited by Psyborg; 07-04-2014 at 06:09 AM. Reason: LOL spelled Withdrawal wrong
    ~ Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Bob,

I'm also at 3 mg pred now. So far, so good. I'm paying close attention to odd symptoms. My taper rate is 1 mg/month, so 3 more weeks until my next drop. Last time I got off pred (about a year ago), I was fine for about two months, then started having roaming, intermittent joint pains in hips and knees. Those were early signs of a flare. Had two doses of rtx last October and have been fine since. If 3 mg/day is needed to stay asymptomatic, I'm ok with that.
    Pete
    dx 1/11

"Every day is a good day. Some are better than others." - unknown

"Take your meds as directed and live your life as fully as you can." - Michael Chacey, MD

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I haven't been able to get below 7.5mg. I always seem to have a little flare in the in the winter, which bumps it back up again. I'm now coasting on 15mg. But will keep trying, now that I know you guys can do it.
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow I can't seem to get below 30 mg of pred. But I as on 80 mg just two months ago they were dropping me by 10mg a week but everytime I get below 30mg I get inflammation.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sbeach78 View Post
    Wow I can't seem to get below 30 mg of pred. But I as on 80 mg just two months ago they were dropping me by 10mg a week but everytime I get below 30mg I get inflammation.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2
    Once you get to 30, you may want to slow the taper rate. Below 30, I dropped 5 mg every two weeks down to 20. Then, I dropped 2.5 mg every two weeks down to 10. Now, I'm dropping 1 mg per month. It seems this may have allowed my adrenal glands to wake up more gradually.
    Pete
    dx 1/11

"Take your meds as directed and live your life as fully as you can." - Michael Chacey, MD

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I drop to 5 tomorrow. I have been able to get off it in the past and my current plan is to get off it after a week at 5 according to the doctor. Only reason I got back on it was to keep me from flareing up during the drug switch. At this current level I get a slight pain in my shoulder right shoulder which is where I felt it when I was first diagnosed it wasn't until some time I realized that the shoulder pain was associated with my WG its not a hard pain kind of a dull aching throb in that shoulder. But assuming this lasts like the last time I stepped down I will probably feel it for 2 or 3 weeks then it will go away. <fingers crossed> if not I'm sure the doctor will put me in with the low dose crowd.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can't get under 5 mg. I tried several times, but I had my lessons . prob I will have to be with my pred untill the rest of my life
    the headaches that it caused me when I tried to go down to 4mg, the joints pains, ears pains, more coughing, more nose productions, more fatigue, and diahreah (I have colon involvment) so it is my "catholic marriage" with pred
    Alysia
    dx 2008

Here, in this forum, I have found my sweet eternal love, my beautiful Phil.. :
    https://www.wegeners-granulomatosis.com/forum/threads/4238-pberggren-memorial-thread
    "You are my sunshine", he used to sing to me... "you make me happy, when skies are grey" I still answer him.
    Rest in Peace, my brave Batman and take care of your weggies from heaven, until we meet again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have been on 3mg for over a year now. I can't seem to get any lower.
    Every now and then I take a 5mg just to take the edge off.

From 10mg and under I dropped .5 every month until 5mg and then dropped .5 and stayed there for a couple of months.
    As I said, I am now at 3mg. I tried 2.5mg for a couple of days and it just didn't feel right.
    At 3mg my nose is pretty well stuffed (pun intended), but I can live with that.

Rheumy said he is fine with me being on 3mg and taking the occasional 4 or 5, for the rest of my life.
    I am also fine with that, if it means that I am not going to flare.

I also do not take any of the heavy pain relievers Bob - I'm with you

Good luck with this drop - maybe 5mg is just going to be the best spot for you
    Keep Smiling
    Michelle

Live your life in a way that you wouldn't be ashamed to sell the family parrot to the town gossip - WILL ROGERS

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm always wondering where the withdrawal symptoms end and a flare begins. It seems like such a fine line.

sbeach78, definitely have to slow from 10 per drop at 30. Probably need to try 25 or maybe even 27.5 if you are very sensitive to the drop.
    ~ Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Psyborg View Post
    I'm always wondering where the withdrawal symptoms end and a flare begins. It seems like such a fine line.
    Bob, that seems to be the $64 question. I hope you can get off pred and stay off without any ill effects.
    Pete
    dx 1/11

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast