Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Thinking about Rituxan

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by annekat View Post
    I agree with this wholeheartedly! I do not do the extensive rinsing, with the water pik and all, as you do, although it sounds great. Since I have lost the bony structures of my nasal cavity, there is less mucus collecting in there, and no crusting to speak of, but the rinsing is still necessary. I use the NeilMed bottle, but just doing it once is pretty pointless. That does little more than start to loosen stuff up. I will usually do at least 3 or 4 rinses and often more, up to 6 or 7, if I still feel like there is stuff in there. I thought I read there was a bigger NeilMed bottle available, and I would like to invest in a water pik with nasal attachment someday. Can't do it right now, maybe in the spring or summer. But my current problems in that area are pretty minor. The big chunks I used to get when my nasal and sinus structures were still intact are a thing of the past. For people with those kinds of chunks, crusting, and all that, I think you could really benefit from something better than the 8 oz. NeilMed squeeze bottle.

I have a Grossan Hydro Pulse machine
    HydroMed
    which I guess is a an upscale Water Pik type machine for rinsing but seldom use it as i prefer the Neil Med squeeze bottles. I can control the amount and force of the rinse easier with the squeeze bottle. I am rinsing several times a day now as I have had more blood and gunk in my rinses but in the past when things were better I got by with a couple rinses a day as they were mostly clear.

I am wondering about which additives might help clear out the sinuses better when they seem infected. I have read about adding hydrogen peroxide, apple cider vinegar, betadine, a drop of liquid soap, tea oil, and other things to help clean and disinfect the sinuses.

What have people found helpful?
    Knowledge is power! Wisdom is using it to make good decisions!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Something I add , depending on how great my need, is Alkalol.
    About Us

I discovered it a long time ago and I see now the VF includes a sheet about it in the information packet.

I would use it every time but only use it on occasion to keep the expense down. I used to buy it by the case at my pharmacy and get a discount.
    There is another wonderful product that is similar but more expensive- Glycothymoline. I save it for when I am really not doing well and want a change. The Official site of Glyco-Thymoline :: Mouthwash & Oral Hygiene :: An All Natural Alkaline Cleansing Solution for a Refreshing, Clean Feeling

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by drz View Post
    I am wondering about which additives might help clear out the sinuses better when they seem infected. I have read about adding hydrogen peroxide, apple cider vinegar, betadine, a drop of liquid soap, tea oil, and other things to help clean and disinfect the sinuses.

Live used a 1% Johnson&Johnson baby shampoo. That works to sooth the sinuses when they are raw. Also Alkolol. I use that daily.
    MikeG-2012

"You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Alkalol is good. I only buy it when I can afford it, although it is only like $10 a bottle (maybe more now) and a little can go a long ways. A small amount in the rinse solution gives a nice soothing feeling and is supposed to be a "mucus solvent". Too strong a solution can be harsh, so experiment. The ingredients are all natural. Info can be found online. It's on the shelf at major pharmacy chains. I also tried the baby shampoo when it was talked about on here and found it to help a great deal when the mucus was being stubborn about loosening up. Just a few drops in your nasal rinse solution. It sounded weird at first but really wasn't.
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a Grossan Hydro Pulse machine
    HydroMed
    which I guess is a an upscale Water Pik type machine for rinsing but seldom use it as i prefer the Neil Med squeeze bottles. I can control the amount and force of the rinse easier with the squeeze bottle. I am rinsing several times a day now as I have had more blood and gunk in my rinses but in the past when things were better I got by with a couple rinses a day as they were mostly clear.

When my mom has a cough, I have her use 20ppm true colloidal silver (not ioninc) and the cough stops, but I don't know if it would help weg's or not.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mrtmeo View Post
    When my mom has a cough, I have her use 20ppm true colloidal silver (not ioninc) and the cough stops, but I don't know if it would help weg's or not.
    I've heard of the colloidial silver but haven't tried it. Some proponents of traditional medicine might discount it, but I don't have a bias against the possibility of it working. From what I've heard, I'd think it would help any infections or irritated tissues whether the person had Wegs or not. One person told me it could help cold sores, but again, I haven't tried it.
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by annekat View Post
    I've heard of the colloidial silver but haven't tried it. Some proponents of traditional medicine might discount it, but I don't have a bias against the possibility of it working. From what I've heard, I'd think it would help any infections or irritated tissues whether the person had Wegs or not. One person told me it could help cold sores, but again, I haven't tried it.
    Colloidal silver can kill alot of different pathogens, but sometimes it needs to be at a much stronger concentration.
    I know it stops mrsa on the skin, but it will not get rid of mrsa systemically when it is colonized.
    Iodine can kill a vast amount of pathogens as well.
    With cold sores, vitamin can help slow the virus down, but when ever I got a cold sore, just getting my vitamin D levels up, resolved them immediately.
    Some people find vitamin C and Lysine work for cold sores.
    I've seen the best results with getting the D levels up, but not sure for those on immune suppressants.
    Everything changes when immune suppressed.
    My mom has not had a cold sore in a few years since getting her D levels up, but she did get some outbreaks of herpes on her nerves which vitamin C took it away.

If anyone uses colloidal silver in a neti pot, do not mix it with salt or anything else except distilled water.
    It's best to just squirt the colloidal silver in the sinuses and rinse if it is too irritating.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mrtmeo View Post
    Iodine can kill a vast amount of pathogens as well.
    Would it be safe to add a drop or two of iodine to a nasal rinse? Most of the these additives are labeled for external use only. I wondered about mouthwash like Listerine?
    Knowledge is power! Wisdom is using it to make good decisions!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Would it be safe to add a drop or two of iodine to a nasal rinse? Most of the these additives are labeled for external use only. I wondered about mouthwash like Listerine?
    My gut feeling is that a couple of drops of either of those wouldn't hurt. A mouthwash will get back into that area, anyway, via the back of the throat. Too much would likely be irritating. I have added a few drops of herbal tinctures in the past and had no problem. I remember using goldenseal, a natural antibiotic, and something else, might have been yerba santa or a lesser known one of the "yerbas". I know that yerba santa, which may be gathered wild in California, is known for helping respiratory issues. I don't know much about iodine, but would imagine a couple of drops would be OK.
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Drz,

* Don't use iodine if you have any allergy to it.

I used Lugol's 5% solution in a ratio of 1:100 parts distilled water.
    I used 1 tsp lugol's 5% solution in 2 cups distilled water.
    In a neti pot, I added the iodine water and 1/8 tsp baking soda, so that it wouldn't sting.
    This killed off the colonized MRSA my mom had.

I have not seen any clean iodine products on store shelves, but if you know a real pharmacist, they can make you up some lugol's 5%.
    (Do not use iodine tincture because this is in alcohol)

Otherwise, I buy mine from jcrows.com here
    J.CROW'S Lugol's Solution 5%, 1oz., Value Price Includes Shipping

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast