User Tag List

Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: My CT scan report gave me a good chuckle today.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jvilner View Post
    Good luck annekat at the eye dr. I'm going tomorrow to mine to figure out what's up with my vision problems. Have double vision with numbers mostly like license plates.
    Oh, that is interesting.... there is a thread on here about double vision, and different reasons were given. My eye doc thought it might be the sinus bone erosion affecting the adjacent orbits and making the eyeballs unstable in their positioning.... the MRI report, though, implies otherwise, but I'll have to get his interpretation of it. If yours is mainly with numbers, I guess it isn't quite as bad as mine... I can see two people where there is one, but it can vary with distance, angle of vision, etc. and from one day to the next. I do find driving the most difficult but can manage it. Good luck getting yours figured out.
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't see double people as I reported before but I am blurry. It's not constant either is yours?
    I am a strong person, but every now and then I also need someone to take my hand & say everything will be alright....

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't see double people as I reported before but I am blurry. It's not constant either is yours?
    Mine is worst if I'm looking through the upper part of my eyeball, which is why it is most noticeable at distances, and in that sense it is constant. But if looking out of the lower or middle part of my eyeball, it can change and is not constant. If I'm sitting in a low chair and people are walking by me in an aisle about 10 feet away, and I'm looking up at them, I can see them as double on a bad day. Or if I'm looking across a large expanse at some people, I will probably see them as double unless I lift my head enough to see them out of a lower section of my eye. That's why driving is hard, I can get rid of the double by tilting my head back a bit, but then my neck gets stiff. Other than the double part, things aren't blurry, and I can always see fine out of just one eye by closing the other. It seems to me it may be getting better lately. I'm hoping it's just weak eye muscles, or inflammation of such, either of which might have room for improvement. Still haven't heard from the doc.
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting....Good luck with the doc. I'll update after my appointment tomorrow. It's all do weird all these "extras" we get from this crummy disease.
    I am a strong person, but every now and then I also need someone to take my hand & say everything will be alright....

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's all do weird all these "extras" we get from this crummy disease.

The weird extras can be soooooo much fun sometimes though. Johns Hopkins is a teaching hospital, so there is always plenty of fresh meat to go around. A couple of times, my main ENT doc has asked if he can bring in some students, or other visiting doctors to "show off" my impressive sinuses. I always agree, because seeing their reaction of horror/interest is always good for a laugh, and they get to learn something and see what Wegener's can do up close and personal. I always make sure they get to see what came out of my nose while I was hospitalized.

Anne, good luck with the eye problems! I hope they get to the bottom of it soon.
    "It takes less muscles to smile than it does to frown!"

-A quote to a doctor from me, in the hospital, while giving him a Bells Palsy smile (I was on some gooooood drugs at the time)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Andy, I'm just relieved that the MRI report said nothing is wrong with my brain, etc. But to get back to the original point of your thread.... I thought I'd share some weird, and I guess laughable, terminology from the report, from the different sections where whoever was typing or writing the report, taking dictation, whatever, was trying to say Wegener's Granulomatosis and said something a little different:

"HISTORY: diplopia, vertigo, history of Wegener's foranimal stenosis." (italics mine)

Then there was the FINDINGS section, which was intelligently written, in detail, and correctly identified me as having a history of Wegener's Granulomatosis.

But then, under IMPRESSION, came this statement: "Extensive changes within the sinonasal cavity which may relate to prior surgery or bone destruction given patient's history of Wegener's canal stenosis." (italics mine)

Like you, I've had no surgery, but at least they acknowledged the bone destruction. As for "foranimal stenosis" and "canal stenosis", I found out they are real things, having to do with the spine, I think, but nothing to do with WG that I can determine, and nothing that I have a history of or have ever heard mentioned. So someone just filled in what it sounded like to them, apparently. Or two different someones, other than who wrote the main body of the report. Maybe this is a case for changing the name to GPA.
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a pretty good idea what happened in your case... a lot of medical professionals dictate their reports, then send them off to a transcription service to be typed up. Usually they are very good, but there are so many medical terms, that unless you have a very comprehensive (and expensive) set of medical dictionaries, sometimes things get missed. My mother did this from home for years when I was a kid, and had three shelves just for medical dictionaries. I suspect, (but please someone tell me that I am wrong) that some of these services have been outsourced overseas over the years, and that quality control has loosened in the favor of profit.
    "It takes less muscles to smile than it does to frown!"

-A quote to a doctor from me, in the hospital, while giving him a Bells Palsy smile (I was on some gooooood drugs at the time)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SpaceflightAddict View Post
    I have a pretty good idea what happened in your case... a lot of medical professionals dictate their reports, then send them off to a transcription service to be typed up. Usually they are very good, but there are so many medical terms, that unless you have a very comprehensive (and expensive) set of medical dictionaries, sometimes things get missed. My mother did this from home for years when I was a kid, and had three shelves just for medical dictionaries. I suspect, (but please someone tell me that I am wrong) that some of these services have been outsourced overseas over the years, and that quality control has loosened in the favor of profit.
    Andy, that sounds about right, and it wouldn't surprise me. If so, I'm kind of amazed that they got the name of the disease right in the middle part of the report. Also, I remember them saying it would be available the next day after the test, sounding like there wouldn't be a lot of time to send it anywhere and get it back. But then I didn't get it in the mail for several days, maybe a week. Who knows. I'll be interested in what the docs have to say about all that.
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well my ophthalmologist told me that she sees a lot of changes in my eye since my last visit 3 mos ago. I seem to have the beginning of cataracts which most likely is caused by prednisone. I need to do further testing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well my ophthalmologist told me that she sees a lot of changes in my eye since my last visit 3 mos ago. I seem to have the beginning of cataracts which most likely is caused by prednisone. I need to do further testing.
    Sorry to hear that.... that wasn't the case with me, but I have certainly heard of that in Weggies from prednisone. I've heard the surgery isn't bad and can actually improve one's vision from how it was before. But I'd still like to avoid it. Good luck.
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast