User Tag List

Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: My CT scan report gave me a good chuckle today.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sbeach78 View Post
    Anne, just to let you know I also have double vision, after scanning my eyes there was fluid building behind my eyes, due to the small veins that usually act as a sump pump, no longer working. They belive it's the pred. I am not sure so I too would like to hear the results you get also. I have sinus involvement too.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2
    Thanks, I think there are a few possible causes related to WG.... it will be interesting to see and I will report to the best of my ability. The eye doc did say my eye pressure was fine, whatever that means.
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by annekat View Post
    Thanks, I think there are a few possible causes related to WG.... it will be interesting to see and I will report to the best of my ability. The eye doc did say my eye pressure was fine, whatever that means.
    It means you don't have glaucoma. Good thing.
    Cindy

Earth is just a stopover and whatever you achieve there is only a small part of the deal. The Afterlife Of Billy Fingers

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by windchime View Post
    It means you don't have glaucoma. Good thing.
    Well, it wasn't the usual glaucoma test, with the puff of air, and he said it was something a little different, but I guess it could still mean that. I kind of wondered if the fluid build up behind the eye, which was mentioned above, could also increase measured eye pressure.
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you for sharing your ct scan results! It's good to know what may be "normal" for wegs. This thread has me wondering if I need to get a CT scan of my sinuses because I've had nasal and facial pain. I hope there isn't anything going on beneath the surface.

Anne- I hope you get good news from the doc!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lag713 View Post
    Thank you for sharing your ct scan results! It's good to know what may be "normal" for wegs. This thread has me wondering if I need to get a CT scan of my sinuses because I've had nasal and facial pain. I hope there isn't anything going on beneath the surface.

Anne- I hope you get good news from the doc!
    It wouldn't hurt to know what is going on in there. If there is bone erosion, I don't know if it can be helped or stopped in its tracks beyond the standard WG treatments you are probably getting to slow the disease down. But it might help to explain some of your pain and such. There are several on here, I think, including me, with extensive bone erosion of the sinuses, and I think it is mainly the thin bones that are near the nasal cavity and eye sockets. Then there can be spontaneous bone thickening in some areas, too, as in my case, which can actually seal off some of the sinus tissue that would normally be subject to infections and such. So it can have some advantages. In any case, it is something most of us can live with and I still feel pretty normal in that area as I go about my daily life. I have some weird sneezes, though. My voice hasn't changed, as I've heard it can with some. Anyway, I go in for my MRI today and will report as soon as I know and understand the results, and whether this bone erosion is what is causing my double vision. Thanks for the good wishes.
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SpaceflightAddict View Post
    My doc sent me for a CT scan, since I have not been feeling great, and some weird things came out of my nose recently. My insurance company decided that they would not pay for the place I had been getting my CT scans done at anymore, and sent me to another facility across town to get them done. I made sure the new place had received all of my previous scans and my medical history before I went in for the scan... but I get the feeling they did not look at them before doing the report.

When reading this report, please keep in mind that I have never, ever, ever had any surgery on my sinuses...

I got a pretty good laugh out of it, but I am sure my doctor will not be as entertained as I am.
    So good to have sense of humor dealing with these issues! (I have absence of lower septum, right sided middle turbinate, left inferior turbinate, and left interior hard palate). Bit of stretch to just "decide" that you had had prior surgeries!
    Also chuckled at the closing of the report "Thank you for the opportunity to participate in the care of this patient".
    Hope you are feeling better
    Smile, breathe and go slowly. Because of your smile, you make life more beautiful. Thich Nhat Hahn

dxn 11/13

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I also noticed they spelled "turbinate" as "terminate".
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Follow up

As a follow up to the previous report, I thought I should post this update.

Johns Hopkins took a second look at my CT scan, and came up with a much different interpretation. It is amazing how different things can look when you pay attention to past results!
    RESULT:

OUTSIDE FILMS PRESENTED FOR SECOND OPINION CONSULTATION

PROCEDURE: CT maxillofacial without contrast complex

INDICATION: Wegener's granulomatosis

FINDINGS:

Redemonstrated is severe osseous destruction and bone loss involving the
    nasal cavity and paranasal sinuses and petrous left temporal bone. There
    is destruction of nasal septum, medial wall of the bilateral maxillary
    sinuses, anterior sphenoid, inferior left petrous bone, inferior
    turbinates and attenuation of medial nasal turbinates, unchanged. Osseous
    destruction extends from the posterior lateral nasopharynx to the petrous
    apex of the temporal bone, unchanged. This destruction affects the
    descending and transverse portions of the petrous internal carotid artery
    on the left side with soft tissue likely abutting on the anterior lateral
    wall of the vessel . There is severe mucosal thickening of bilateral
    maxillary sinuses, unchanged. There is moderate mucosal thickening of the
    ethmoid sinuses, slightly increased compared to the prior study. Frontal
    sinuses are clear, unchanged. Moderate mucosal thickening of the left
    sphenoid sinus is unchanged.
    Orbits are otherwise normal with no evidence of infiltrating soft tissue.
    Left mastoid effusion is noted which has increased compared to prior
    study.
    There is a possible area of dehiscence along the posterior ethmoid region
    seen best on series 400 slice 20 bilaterally extending to the
    intracranial compartment. This is suggested also on series 4 a one slice
    29 on the left side and 26 on the right.
    Visualized brain parenchyma are normal.

Impression

IMPRESSION:
    Outside images submitted for second opinion consultation.

1. Stable diffuse destructive process involving the nasal cavity and
    paranasal sinuses and left petrous bone consistent with patient's history
    of Wegener's granulomatosis. There is moderate to severe mucosal
    thickening of the paranasal sinuses which is relatively stable with only
    interval worsening of mucosal thickening of the ethmoid sinuses.

2. Stable osseous destruction extends from the posterior lateral
    nasopharynx to the petrous apex. There is soft tissue which abuts on the
    left internal carotid artery where the canal has been eroded by the
    granulomatous tissue. Previously there was air around the carotid artery
    seen on September 30, 2013. There is interval increase in the left
    mastoid effusion.

It is really amazing how different things look when a doctor reads the past results, and understands the kind of destruction Wegener's can inflict.

"It takes less muscles to smile than it does to frown!"

-A quote to a doctor from me, in the hospital, while giving him a Bells Palsy smile (I was on some gooooood drugs at the time)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That is interesting, Andy. I recently got back the results of an MRI ordered by an eye doc, which talks about a lot of the same kinds of bone destruction, but I haven't gotten a chance to talk to the eye doc or my other docs about it yet. It also contains some suspect language and conclusions indicating a lack of understanding of WG. There was no previous MRI to compare it to, but there were some CT scans which should have been compared to each other earlier, which my ENT went over with me in his office after giving me an additional one there showing a more complete view. It is hard for me to understand all the results of these tests with different people looking at them and giving different interpretations. I will report more once I talk to my eye doc who ordered the latest test. But what I can tell from the printout is that there appears to be nothing abnormal going on in my brain, and there is an indication that the bone erosion is not affecting the orbits, that is, causing the double vision I've been experiencing. Hope to hear today from the eye doc, as he did try to contact me Friday eve. Thanks for sharing.
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good luck annekat at the eye dr. I'm going tomorrow to mine to figure out what's up with my vision problems. Have double vision with numbers mostly like license plates.
    I am a strong person, but every now and then I also need someone to take my hand & say everything will be alright....

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast