Likes Likes:  0

Thread: First dose of RTX

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default First dose of RTX

Tomorrow I will be having my first every infusion of RTX. Very nervous and excited all the same time. I read some posts and saw this could take up to several months to kick in? Is this for most of you? Wish me luck
    Faith.Hope.Love.
    Fighting Since 2008

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Its good news to be beginning an effective treatment like Rituxan. Everything I have heard and my own experience say that it does take time to notice positive results. So be patient.
    I was nervous the first time too and now it is just about as exciting as going to get a haircut. Except the barber doesn't give me lunch. It is a slow infusion taking several hours so plan on taking books or music or internet or whatever you can to occupy your time. The clinic I go to has tvs to watch but for some reason its not something I ever want to do there.

My infusion clinic buys me lunch because I am there for more than four hours. For some reason my blood pressure drops a lot too but it is not dangerous. They give you benydryl just prior to the infusion. This makes me sleepy and I've learned to go with the flow and take a little nap at that point and then wake up and read or whatever my 'busy' plan is.
    If a friend or family member can go with you it is a good distraction.
    Best of luck, let us know how it goes for you (and what was for lunch)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Miranda
    don't be afraid. it is just going to be a long boring day I hope that not more then that for you
    they will give you steroids in IV and pills against allergy reactions and against pains (in Israel the meds are a bit different). then you will start the IV of the rtx. first very slowly, to see if all goes well. they will check your BP and temprature every 30 min.
    I felt sleepy most of the time and slept for a while. bring with you lots of water and/or tee/coffee. it is important to drink a lot, in order that your BP will not be too low. bring food as well (I got some in the hospital, their lunch which was ok). and a book or comp.
    I was also madly frightened at first but there is nothing to be afraid of.
    I will allways be grateful to our Phil, who calmed me down about it thanks, sweetie, again
    Alysia
    dx 2008

Here, in this forum, I have found my sweet eternal love, my beautiful Phil.. :
    https://www.wegeners-granulomatosis.com/forum/threads/4238-pberggren-memorial-thread
    "You are my sunshine", he used to sing to me... "you make me happy, when skies are grey" I still answer him.
    Rest in Peace, my brave Batman and take care of your weggies from heaven, until we meet again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Miranda...
    Glad you will be getting rtx. I was already in hospital the first time for me and I guess I felt bad enough that I was not anxious or excited . It was after 8pm whenever procedures were started. Doc came in following morning and asked me how I felt. My reply was "I don't know". I felt as if my body and I were not one. However in a couple of days, I began to feel better. Due to circumstances, the second infusion wasn't until 2 months later. We traveled home same day and I was alert, talked the 3 hrs home...so diff from 1st infusion.

It has lasted almost 2 yrs. It did cut down on the flares. Have been having some flares and in the midst of trying to find another doctor who will keep up with my progress.

You could have a completely diff experience, as each of us are so different. I feel that it will be good for you and that you will be pleased.

Already praying for you and looking forward to your good report as soon as you feel like sharing with us.
    Lots of hugs for you
    Bev

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just had my last dose for the 4 week course I was put on for my first treatment ever of it. Right now I feel fine there were a few weeks where I was having sinus flares but all and all from what I can tell it seems to do the job well. Ill get back with you later to give my full opinion. Good luck and hope you brought a book or a laptop or tablet or do like I did I brought both a book and a laptop then ended up doing neither most of the time just found a music channel on youtube and slept.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am on rituximab for almost 1 year now. I started with 4 weekly doses then I get an infusion every 4 months. It took a while to see the initial benefit of the infusion but I have no regrets and it seems to be working pretty good. My next infusion is on 7/31.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you EVERYONE! It took just about 6 hours. My next one is in 2 weeks on the 16th. I had my husband with me for most of it but once other people had to be in there he had to go to waiting room. It wasn't bad, about an hour into it I got the itchiness in my throat and ears that lasted 15 minutes probably. Other than that I had nothing else. The nurses were super nice. They provided us lunch and it was alright. Roasted Chicken I was pretty stiff and sore getting up but that's pretty normal right now. I have been home now for 3 hours and I have a pounding headache. That's all I can complain about. I told work I would be taking off tomorrow just for the extra day since Friday we are closed! Doesn't hurt for us to get some rest either. I am super excited for this to kick in!!! All your posts are so positive about this drug and it makes me happy!

I still cannot express the excitement for having everyone here in this group. Where was I years ago for this?! The only person I ever complain too is my husband and sometimes my parents. I don't like to worry anyone or people not understand anything I am going through. I am sure most of you feel the same. That is why this group is so important. You get to relieve it all and get awesome advice and experience.

Again thank you everyone

Much love with hugs

Miranda
    Faith.Hope.Love.
    Fighting Since 2008

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Miranda,
    I am so glad that every thing went well take some rest in the next days
    and I know exactly how it feels to find this place, I was a lonely frightened and depressed weggie for more then 4 years untill I found my weggie family here
    Alysia
    dx 2008

Here, in this forum, I have found my sweet eternal love, my beautiful Phil.. :
    https://www.wegeners-granulomatosis.com/forum/threads/4238-pberggren-memorial-thread
    "You are my sunshine", he used to sing to me... "you make me happy, when skies are grey" I still answer him.
    Rest in Peace, my brave Batman and take care of your weggies from heaven, until we meet again.