User Tag List

Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pregnant...40...and...Wegner's...good times!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Pregnant...40...and...Wegner's...good times!

When I read up on the disease, it seems I have had symptoms for years. A "broken" foot, chronic ear infections and ear tubes at 30, random skin things the dermatologist called binary contusions...I have been to the chiropractor because I couldn't move my arm, hip, leg, blah....

So in October I was really sick and was diagnosed with pneumonia. In November...despite my husband's vasectomy...I found myself in a family way! I had just cancelled my maternity insurance, my husband lost his job in December...in February I started coughing up blood and just thought it was part of being pregnant. In April I went back to my primary care and she ordered an x-ray and still thought it was pneumonia, but suggested I see a pulmonary. He was very concerned and started asking about joint pain..which I just thought was arthritis or from being 40 and pregnant! He texted me over Memorial Day weekend and asked me to send him a picture of what I had been coughing up. I did and he responded to get the the ER immediately. I blew it off because it had been happening for months...what could be so wrong?! And it was actually looking better from the meds he put me on! But I ended up going and...

I ended up in the hospital for 4 days with all the blood tests, bronchoscope, ultrasounds, echo cardiograms, all while baby is being monitored like crazy! I left there thinking I had Rheumatoid arthritis and lung. After several doctors appointments and tests they found the Wegener's, which was just officially diagnosed 2 weeks ago.

I have 3 kids that are 8, 4, and 2. I go to the doctor like it's a full time job...like I'm sure we all do! I'm a teacher and so glad it's summer because I don't know how I could keep up!! Now I have special Maternal Fetal Medicine people to go see too.

I was in so much pain before, I'm on 40 mgs of prednisone now and it is really helping. My joint pain is almost gone, so is the coughing up blood. I'm very anxious about the future as all are waiting the delivery to see how my levels look and what path to take from there. Infusions, lung biopsy, different meds...no one wants to commit until the delivery.

So here I am. My husband got a good job with good insurance! I did just get a letter asking about a pre-existing condition but I am not going to worry about that now!!! My kids are doing good, the baby is doing good...I'm trying very hard to stay focused on the positive and not sit around and feel sorry myself...some days are better than others as I'm sure we all know!

I was so happy to find this site to hear other stories and get support. I am feeling very alone and it's nice to know other people are in a similar situation.

Thank you!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow Mel! What a story, thank you for sharing with us. Wishing you all the very best with your journey. This site is like having your own special doctor/ carer/ team support. Feel free to vent, ask questions and just get it out there!
    Keep us up to date with your ongoing pregnancy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Mel, welcome to our world. Sorry you have to be here, but since you do it's THE best place to be. Is your baby due this month? Good luck with the delivery. Glad to know the pred is getting some things settled down. Good luck to you and keep us posted.
    Cindy

Earth is just a stopover and whatever you achieve there is only a small part of the deal. The Afterlife Of Billy Fingers

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Welcome from me, too, Mel! I like your positive spirit about all the changes going on in your life. Of course, I wish you hadn't gotten WG but since you did, I'm glad you found us, as this is the best place to be to feel a lot less alone with the disease and get lots of support and information. I look forward to hearing about the baby's arrival and what course of meds they put you on after that. I'm glad the prednisone is making a difference in how you feel.
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi mel. I consider myself positive and don't complain much at all. But after reading what you are going thru <as a male I can't really imagine pregnancy much less with WG> and how positive you are I look like a big baby I'm glad you found the site. This is a wonderful community to be a part of.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you! I am so glad to share and read about others...thanks for your kind words

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by windchime View Post
    Hi Mel, welcome to our world. Sorry you have to be here, but since you do it's THE best place to be. Is your baby due this month? Good luck with the delivery. Glad to know the pred is getting some things settled down. Good luck to you and keep us posted.
    Thank you! I am due August 4th. All docs have told me to stay open to the idea of going early if things take a turn...I will update! I have blood work this week so I'm always a little anxious....

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by chris.wg View Post
    Hi mel. I consider myself positive and don't complain much at all. But after reading what you are going thru <as a male I can't really imagine pregnancy much less with WG> and how positive you are I look like a big baby I'm glad you found the site. This is a wonderful community to be a part of.

Thank you! I think I might have made myself sound more positive than I am...fake it till you make it?!?!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by annekat View Post
    Welcome from me, too, Mel! I like your positive spirit about all the changes going on in your life. Of course, I wish you hadn't gotten WG but since you did, I'm glad you found us, as this is the best place to be to feel a lot less alone with the disease and get lots of support and information. I look forward to hearing about the baby's arrival and what course of meds they put you on after that. I'm glad the prednisone is making a difference in how you feel.

Thank you! It's amazing the difference the meds have made! This community is so welcoming!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Mel,
    thanks for sharing your story. you sounds like a strong women with great attitude. I hope that the delivery will be easy and safe and that you can get the treatment and get fast into remission. I also hope that in all that turmoil you will still have your peaceful time to enjoy your baby.
    welcome to our family. prayers and hugs heading to you from Israel
    please update us.
    Alysia
    dx 2008

Here, in this forum, I have found my sweet eternal love, my beautiful Phil.. :
    https://www.wegeners-granulomatosis.com/forum/threads/4238-pberggren-memorial-thread
    "You are my sunshine", he used to sing to me... "you make me happy, when skies are grey" I still answer him.
    Rest in Peace, my brave Batman and take care of your weggies from heaven, until we meet again.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast