Thread: Germ paranoia

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Default Germ paranoia

Hi all...
    Since being afflicted with this charming disease, I've become quite paraniod about bacteria, germs, whatever you want to call them, especially with being on chemo.

I wash my hands alot more than I did, when I use ATM's I use my car keys to press the keys and I don't drink from public water fountains (especially in the gym) - I'd rather die of thirst than do that. I keep away from sick people as much as I can plus a whole bunch of other things. Am I getting carried away? What changes have you noticed in your attitude towards this? Am I on my own here?
    Forum Administrator
    Diagnosed March 2003.
    Currently but not permanetly residing in Canberra, Australia.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default paranoid too

Hi,
    I find myself aware of germs everywhere, but the things I watch out for the most are unnatural ingredients in food and chemicals.
    The year before me being diagnosed I can remember using more than usual bug spray with deet (for mosquitos). I have to wonder?????
    Now I try to avoid all chemicals when possible . We don't really know what all is out there.
    Sincerely, Terri

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Definitely washing my hands more... I carry some of that Lysol hand cleanser in the car with me. Also, staying away from sick people (and our church's nursing home ministry). Never really used public drinking fountains before, so that didn't change.
    Other than that, I haven't really found myself being "extra cautious" - I've always been aware of germs vs. cleanliness, so things haven't changed too much...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am aware on public transport when people around me are coughing and spluttering, and try to avoid being close to babies and young children (who are very good at carrying germs around). Luckily, I'm not the maternal type!

I avoid the types of food that pregnant women have to avoid (raw eggs, blue cheeses, shellfish, pâté etc) but don't really like those foods much anyway, so it's no big thing.

I am less cautious than I used to be - the odd shaving of parmesan (unpasteurised!) and runny egg yolk hasn't killed me yet!

I've always washed my hands even before I was ill, but not obsessively.

I think you just have to find a balance between being cautious and limiting your life too much.
    Diagnosed March 2007 (kidneys only)
    Currently on 150mg Imuran, 12.5 pred (alternate days)
    Living a normal life!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You are not paranoid...just being cautious. I know I wash my hand and have all sorts of hand sanitizer at work, car and home.

Sometimes I do forget so I have to remind myself.

You know when you start something new the idea of what was "norm" is no longer the case and remember it takes 27 days to break old habits.

by the way it could be worse...Like not being able to enjoy my wine collection or enjoy my 21 yr old Glenlivet or nice cold Foster on tap.

What can I tell you "old habits hard to break" I guess 2-3 years without is not so bad!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Well all your replies are certainly making me feel a bit better

Quote Originally Posted by RCOSSIO View Post
    ... nice cold Foster on tap.
    Mmmm...yes, I haven't had that for many a year. I hear that they make it a different flavour over there than they do here in Oz.
    Forum Administrator
    Diagnosed March 2003.
    Currently but not permanetly residing in Canberra, Australia.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yeah one word "weaker"...

as soon as I get my permission to drink I will buy me a bottle of King George and invite family and friends and have one glass because I know I will be drunk by just one glass..

enjoy!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As I have said in my original post, it is my 14 year old grandson who has Wegener's. With everyone else in his family, he is reluctant to discuss his condition. With me, we talk quite matter of factly about what we both are learning about WG. He says that several of his doctors have told him to be very careful about germs and possible infections. He understands that his immune system is suppressed these days and it is up to him to be vigilant. He tells me that he now never drinks from the school fountains nor does he share bottles of water with anyone. I heard him tell his mother the other day that she should know better than to offer him a drink from her water container. He says he washes his hands many times during the day.

I am learning that youngsters deal with illnesses in their own ways. His rheumy has told all of us that he is just like any other kid except that he must take medicine. His doctors have worked out his entire medicine procedure with him and he is now in complete charge of the dosages and when he is to take them. I am very proud of him for accepting his condition (his doctor tells him that WG is a condition not an illness) and being able to get on with his life.

My goal is to do as much research as I can about WG so that we will always know where the most up-to-date research is being done. I want to be informed so that whenever we do talk about it I can point him in the right direction. I hope next year to be able to take him to the next Vasculitis Foundation seminar...that is, if he wants to go.

Marian

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Although I'm immune suppressed, I don't take any precautions at all. There are so many opportunities to pick up infections that it seems to be a pointless exercise unless you are going to become obsessive about it. When I was on dialysis, I was super careful with the exchange equipment, but that's about it.

I was quite prone to picking up minor infections until I started to use Co-Trimoxazole antibiotic on a permanent basis. This was very successful, but due to my lung condition, I have to switch to something else on the odd occasions when it does not work.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I go neutropenic every now and again, and infection becomes a BIG problem. The main things I pick up are stomach bugs etc (lovely!!!!), but i'm still not much better with hygiene than usual! I'm so busy with a hectic family life, i just forget. It drives my mother crazy, and she's rushing around after me bleaching/dis-infecting everything! lol. What would we do without our mums?
    Wegeners Granulomatosis diagnosed May 1995. Tracheal Stenosis since 2000.

Proud mum of 3 beautiful girls, post cyclophosphamide (so it really can happen!) xxx

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast