Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Long Story.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lightbulb A Long Story.

I know this is going to be very long. I don't expect people to read this but its good therapy to just let this out.

May of 2008 I was headed to the lake with my boyfriend (now husband) as a healthy in shape young lady and my nose starts bleeding out of no where. I remember telling Clint (my husband) I hadn't had a nose bleed since I was a kid. I was 22 at the time. It stopped and nothing else was said the rest of the way about it. I remember once we got to the lake house I felt like I was getting some kind of allergy reaction. Just normal eyes tearing up, runny nose, and headaches. I went through lots of Kleenexes that weekend. From that moment on I had a problem. My so called allergies were not getting better. My nose bleeds were coming on more often and really bad when I would get upset or stressed out. I would be waiting on a customer at work and have to excuse myself because my nose started bleeding. This happened many times. I went to my family physician and said hey I have had these allergies for a month now. I am usually not this bad or barely notice I have allergies. He started prescribing me nasal sprays...well anyone with this disease knows that's a bad idea. They made it so much worse. It was getting painful. Nothing worked with him so he referred me to an allergist. He did all the allergy tests and came back fine. He did a scan of my nose and basically talked to me and my mom like I was snorting drugs. It was an awful experience. He did refer me to an ENT. Dr. Thompson. I couldn't get in to see him until a month away putting me in late August. This was mid July. I was starting to miss a lot of work because of my headaches and the headaches came with the bloody nose. I had one so bad one day I just couldn't take it. My parents took me to the ER. The ER doctor told me I had the worst nose he had ever seen. They did blood work and of course gave me the headache cocktail. My mom called Dr. Thompson office while I was in there and told them I was in the ER. They were able to get me in the next week due to a cancelation. Dr. Thompson treated me with prednisone and could not even get a piece out of my nose for a biopsy because it was so swollen. The inside of my nose was about to come out of my nostrils. I came back a couple weeks later after the prednisone tapering and the inflammation had gone down enough he could get the biopsy. We didn't know this at the time, but Dr. Thompson's daughter actually had a friend hospitalized for WG. So he already had a feeling WG could be the cause of all this stuff. Sure enough about a week later August 16th 2008 he calls me at work himself. He asked me I could go to the side somewhere and told me I had this disease called Wegener's Granulamatosis. He said it was a rare disease and he will explain it when I come in to see him in a couple days. He told me not to be too scared what I read online because we don't know the severity yet. He raised my prednisone to 35mg and referred my to a rheumatologists. During that time of waiting to see this doctor, I went to Vegas with my boyfriend and our friends for his 21st birthday. He proposed there by the way I was actually getting really sick and miserable and finding myself just staying in the hotel room sleeping because I was miserable. I actually called Dr. Thompson while I was there and he told me to raise my prednisone to 45. I did that and nothing was getting better really. We got back and I saw Dr. Katz. My rheumatologist. He explained everything and began treatment. He raised my prednisone to 60mg and let me tell you I went from a size 2 to a size 13. I gained 40 + IBS. ugh. All my symptoms by this point was all sinus related with the severe headaches. The prednisone itself was not working. I started to have the leg pain I couldn't even walk. So, we had the Cytoxan talk. A bit nervous about it since we wanted kids later but we knew my health was more important at that moment. I was now on 60 mg prednisone and 50mg Cytoxan(pill). I was actually starting to feel a lot better for quite some time. The only thing I was feeling was depression because of how I looked. I was fat in my eyes and my hair was thinning and a different texture. I was sick of how I looked. I wouldn't even go out in public unless I had too. People didn't even recognize me. My fiancé and I with his family actually took a vacation to Hilton Head Island for some R&R. Much needed vacation. December 2008 a couple of my girlfriends and myself went to NYC. I noticed thinking I was getting out of shape and it was freezing was the reason I wasn't breathing very well. I could barely walk down across the street. Once we got back I went to Dr. Thompson and he looked down my throat an nose and did a CT scan of my throat. Those came back later that day showing my trachea was narrowed. The cartilage was eatin away just like the cartilage in my nose was. He told me my trachea was the size of an 8 year olds. He hadn't done a dilation before and he knew the doctors and children's hospital in Cincinnati had done many of them and he trusted them so he sent me there. April of 2009 was my first one. I have had 3 others since then and my last one was November of 2012 Dr. Thompson did those thank goodness. Well things were good really. Through all that I was diagnosed with the WG and because of all that I now have asthma and IBS. I had a few hiccups and had to raise and lower and raise both prednisone and Cytoxan. I am now on 10mg of prednisone and 50mg of Cytoxan. I have been on them continuously for 6 years now. I have yet to be able to get off them. BUT, I went to see Dr. Thompson a few weeks ago and he told me about this drug Rituxan and I need to be off Cytoxan its already probably done too much damage. He new of a new doctor and he thought I should get a second opinion. I did and he is great. I loved my old doctor we had been through a lot and I have so much respect for him, he just was conservative about it. For several months now I have been feeling the sinuses coming on worse, bloody noses, shortness of breath and joint and muscle pain like no other. I cant even walk some days. I will be doing my first round of Rituxan next week. I am nervous but excited. So many emotions going on. But just the thought of this letting me sooner than later be off all my meds is just awesome. I have been waiting for that moment for years. I am very lucky this disease has not spread to my kidneys or lungs. My journey is still going. Staying positive and having faith has helped me through all of this.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thank you, Miranda, for sharing your painful story. you have being through so much already. but you sound like a strong girl and you will feel better soon. rtx is great. you can read a lot of threads here in the forum and see how much it helps many of us.
    welcome to our family ask whatever you want, share, vent, whatever you feel like. please update us.
    Alysia
    dx 2008

Here, in this forum, I have found my sweet eternal love, my beautiful Phil.. :
    https://www.wegeners-granulomatosis.com/forum/threads/4238-pberggren-memorial-thread
    "You are my sunshine", he used to sing to me... "you make me happy, when skies are grey" I still answer him.
    Rest in Peace, my brave Batman and take care of your weggies from heaven, until we meet again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for sharing, Miranda, and welcome to the forum. And don't worry about going on too long, a lot of us do it when telling our story, and you are right that it is therapeutic. Plus, I read every word and it was interesting. I could not help but notice that you said you were on only 50mg. of Cytoxan for 6 years. I believe that is a very small dose, and for most women on the small side the standard dose would be about 100 or maybe 125mg. It is done by weight. I got better in less than a year on 100mg. I have to wonder if that small dose is why you were on it for so long and why it didn't really work. However, there's no going back, and it is good that you are moving on to RTX, which seems to work very well for most people. Best of luck, and keep us posted.
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi, Miranda, thanks for sharing. The details help others trying to identify what's going on with them, so long stories are appreciated here... I'm glad you will be getting Rituxan, it seems to help so many fellow patients. I hope you start to feel better very soon.

I can totally relate to the depression about appearance. I know that it's not important and I still get very upset when handfuls of my hair come out... I try not to think about it too much or obsess over the mirror other than to do what I can to reverse it. When you're feeling a bit better you can search here for hair and weight loss/exercise and find lots of useful info on getting your 'former' hair and body back.. Exercise is good for our disease regardless of appearances.

Stay strong and keep us posted.
    Just when the caterpillar thought the world was over, she became a butterfly.
    - English proverb.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you! I really enjoy reading everyone else's stuff. It is pretty neat to know there are actually several people who know what you are going through. Yes, my new doctor couldn't believe I was only on 50 and had been for 6 years. HE said I was being under treated basically. I keep reading about the RTX and just get more and more excited about it because it works so well!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the tips LisaT

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Miranda View Post
    Thank you! I really enjoy reading everyone else's stuff. It is pretty neat to know there are actually several people who know what you are going through. Yes, my new doctor couldn't believe I was only on 50 and had been for 6 years. HE said I was being under treated basically. I keep reading about the RTX and just get more and more excited about it because it works so well!
    If you had gotten the right dose of CTX, perhaps you'd have gotten better a long time ago. Then you could still have taken the RTX at future time when you might need it, but not have had to take CTX for so long. Well, just saying, I know your new doc knows all about it. But the level of ignorance among some docs who are treating Wegs is staggering. The old doc could easily have found out the correct dosage for you.
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

WOW, long story! I had to break it into paragraphs so I didn't get lost reading it. But, it sounds like you have excellent care and are coming through it all in pretty decent fashion. Hang in there!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Welcome to the forum Miranda. Glad things are looking up for you. Ditto what everyone else has said. You will find excellent support here and make some new friends along the way. Keep us posted on your progress with the RTX.
    Cindy

Earth is just a stopover and whatever you achieve there is only a small part of the deal. The Afterlife Of Billy Fingers

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Miranda and thanks for your story.

I see you have been a member on here for quite a while. I hope you have read up on everything you need to know about RTX and how it will help you.
    I am also excited for you

We look forward to hearing much more.
    Take care and good luck
    Keep Smiling
    Michelle

Live your life in a way that you wouldn't be ashamed to sell the family parrot to the town gossip - WILL ROGERS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast