Likes Likes:  0

Thread: TempurPedic or other options

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default TempurPedic or other options

Hello! I've been looking at updating my mattress. A TempurPedic sounds perfect, especially with constant aching joints and muscles but the research I've done states the smells and chemicals in today's memory foam causes sinus and breathing issues (something I don't need to trigger especially since I'm having another sub glottic surgery next week).

I'd love to hear experiences and recommendations. Thank you for your help!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been looking into this too. I think there are non-toxic/organic options, they're more expensive. The salespeople for the chemical-laden mattresses will tell you to just leave windows open the first few days and all will be fine, but obviously they're trying to sell their product so...

if I find the link to the safer alternatives I'll post it.
    Just when the caterpillar thought the world was over, she became a butterfly.
    - English proverb.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lisa- We have an organic mattress store in our city. Due to their crazy hours I have not visited the store yet. I don't mind the price, it's the lack of financing that might be the issue. I agree with the salesman approach, they don't understand our sensitivity to environmental factors. They simply respond with.....doctors write prescriptions for this bed.

My plan is also to ask my doctor his thoughts. I see him next week.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just bought a sealy Optimum Inspiration Gold mattress with and adjustable base. Quite a splurge believe me, but oh so worth it. It's a gel infused memory foam mattress. The gel helps it to not sleep hot. So far so good. I've had it since last Sat.

There is some adjustment as I only had a memory foam topper before. This particular mattress didn't have much odor to me. If I stuck my nose in it I could smell it, but otherwise no problems with it. I have a mattress cover on it so maybe that makes a difference. They recommend letting it air for a couple of hours before putting the sheets on. Overall I think this is a cheaper option than the temper and in my opinion just as good.

I checked out the Serta Icomfort mattress also, but they didn't have very good reviews. If you go to the Sealy website you can get more information. Sealy US Please note that I got mine for several hundred dollars less than what the Sealy website has as the list price. It pays to shop around. I got mine from Bedding Experts, but they are mostly located in Il, In and Fl with one store in Wilmington NC. The Bedding Experts | Mattress Store - Sealy Mattresses, TempurPedic, Stearns and Foster, Simmons Beautyrest

Just an FYI the new model for the Inspiration is the Gold. The old model is the Inspiration w/o the Gold so you might find some good deals on the old one. The only difference is something in the lower layers and of course the cost. The upper layers remained the same or so I was told.

This is probably TMI but I just spent a couple of weeks comparing, shopping on the Internet, and looking at reviews. Hope this helps a little.
    Last edited by windchime; 06-26-2014 at 12:14 AM.
    Cindy

Earth is just a stopover and whatever you achieve there is only a small part of the deal. The Afterlife Of Billy Fingers

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Memory foam mattresses like Tempurpedic are not supportive to the body or spine so I would not recommend one at all. I was going to buy one once but was advised against it my many people, even medical doctors. So I prayed for a new bed and the following week my neighbor found me a hospital bed with new foam mattress for free.
    Phil Berggren, dx 2003

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've slept on memory foam for years and have had no problems with it. The support is there just at deeper levels in the mattress. I have a hard time sleeping on a mattress that isn't memory foam. It is great for relieving those pressure points when you hurt all over.
    Cindy

Earth is just a stopover and whatever you achieve there is only a small part of the deal. The Afterlife Of Billy Fingers