User Tag List

Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: No brainer!!! How to help Wegeners...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One way to check your gut is to see what your ALP and B12 numbers are, if they are both low then it is a sign that your gut has issues and that you are not absorbing foods.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Another vegan here, we seem to be the minority. I changed 2 yrs ago, wegs didn't have much to do with it. My reasons were the environment & the state of agriculture in the US. I grew up on a small farm & nobody ever got sick on our veggies or Mom's eggs. Now, you hear about food born disease outbreaks every year. I don't even want to get started about animal treatment. Let's just say farmers a generation ago would freak out if they could see a factory farm now.

I eat wheat, however, the wheat we eat today is not the same wheat our grandparents ate, so I think a lot of people could be sensitive. And beef-have we forgotten Mad Cow disease? I'm suspicious, I think testing in the US is inadequate & if I had children now I would be afraid to give them beef. This is all just my thoroughly unscientific opinion that doesn't mean anything. All I can tell you is my change from meat & potatoes to vegan hasn't been a game changer health wise for me. Cholesterol is lower but that's about it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I actually just got the Alcat food testing done, and curious to see if it helps my neuropathy/overall health. Been trying to figure out what is going on because just going gluten free did not help. The Alcat showed that I do have issues with gluten/dairy/chicken/garlic/paprika/rasberries and a few others. Crossing fingers that I have finally put my finger on what is causing me to not absorb food and hoping I get better energy. Highly recommend the testing, it is expensive, but I have several friends that have had great success with it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Totally with you on this Anna. I have made my whole family go gluten free (well Brian still has his beers, but gotta give him kudos for playing along in the first place) and we're trying to go sugar free. This book is quite interesting, and full of data from huge studies, so if anyone says it's anecdotal this book tells a different story. http://www.amazon.ca/Grain-Brain-Sur...ds=grain+brain Here the big culprits that mess with our immune system, cause heart disease, Alzheimer's and a myriad of other chronic illnesses are - sugars and grains. In regards to cholesterol, it's what fuels our brains and a necessary part of our diet, but mixed with sugar it becomes toxic. Sugar (and the more complex version of it grain carbs) can pass through the blood brain barrier and attach to our opiate receptors, triggering a similar feeling as a drug addict getting his fix. That in itself is a big reason that people have such a hard time giving up bread. I totally feel like I need a fix when I walk by the bakery of the grocery store, but the longer I've been off bread, the easier it seems to pass it by.

The other thing that makes changing difficult is the ease with which you can prepare a meal surrounding grain. Put a pasta together with pretty much anything in the fridge and you've got a meal. Sandwiches for lunch. They're easy defaults because they're so easy. It's tricky at first to have stuff that's easy to put together, but just like any adjustment, it takes a bit of time and then it's easy(er.) I still have days where I wish I could just throw a pasta together. But sandwiches, as an option, are now out of my mind completely. I do occasionally cheat (Grab a Big Mac... once in a Blue Moon) and I don't feel great afterward but I don't feel terrible either.

I just know this dietary change is good for me, so that's why I'm trying to stick with it - best I can. Despite the tricky factor.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If I have a loaf of bread around and I'm too busy to prepare a meal, I will eat toast with peanut butter on it all day. And yes, the bread is addicting. So the trick is to not buy the bread, period! I have felt so much better since stopping buying bread. Once in awhile, I'll lose my self-discipline, and buy a loaf, and eat it until it's gone. BAD! I feel it, for sure. As for other grains, I think about those, too, but mainly the ones with gluten in them.... I'm not above having a little pasta once in while, but have done pretty well at avoiding it. As for snacks, rice cakes with peanut butter, or other nut butters, aren't bad. Good for you, Marta, getting your family on board. Interesting explanation, too, about the opiate receptors in our brains, and all. Thanks.
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123