Thread: CellCept questions...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question CellCept questions...

Hi,
    Just back from JH and the Dr. doesn't like the effects the MTX is having on me, so he's starting me on CellCept. I know nothing about it, I don't even know anyone who is on it and that makes me very nervous. Can anyone fill me in?
    Thanks so much,
    Deb H.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Deb,
    I don't know anything about cellept, but to make you calm, I remmeber many around using it, and feeling good with it. mtx didnt work for me either.
    Alysia
    dx 2008

Here, in this forum, I have found my sweet eternal love, my beautiful Phil.. :
    https://www.wegeners-granulomatosis.com/forum/threads/4238-pberggren-memorial-thread
    "You are my sunshine", he used to sing to me... "you make me happy, when skies are grey" I still answer him.
    Rest in Peace, my brave Batman and take care of your weggies from heaven, until we meet again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I seem to remember Sangye being on Cellcept for a time. You might PM her. And she has the same doc you do, as you know.
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been on cellcept for seven years now and except for a slight hiccup at the start,i was started on too high a dose,i've been fine and it's worked well for me.i'm currently on 2 grams a day.i hope it works as well for you as it has for me.
    john.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi John,
    Do you know what dose you started at? The only side effect was hiccups? Are you in remission?
    THX

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hi Deb
    over here in the UK a slight hiccup means a small problem.i started on 3 grams but developed pneumonia because of it.i came of it for a while then restarted on 1 gram which gradually increased to the 2 grams I'm currently on.i haven't had any serious WG episodes for a few years but I've been pred free for the last 5 weeks and I'm beginning to experience a lot of joint pain and extreme lethargy.good luck on cellcept just beware of starting on a high dose.
    john

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hello Deb, I relapsed in February and was put on 3g of Cellcept (3 pills at 500mg in the morning and 3 pills at 500 mg in the evening). The only side effect is some intestinal discomfort. Other than that no problems. I'm also on 10mg Prednisone.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As everyone knows folks all respond differently to meds, so you never know. But my experience was horrible, it made it so that I could not sleep, like not at all. Now I am more in tune with my body, and I would know to get off it, but years ago when I took it I wasn't. Just make sure that you pay attention to what is going on and if things get too weird then get off it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Deb,
    I've been on cellcept for almost 2 years, i take 2-500 mg twice a day. This is after all the other meds didn't hold me. I also have had 3 rounds of rtx and I'm on 12.5 preds(tapering down hopefully this time) and bacterium 3 times a week. I have a lot of dizziness,headaches,nausea and get uti's freq. I told my doc that I thought I was feeling like I was being poisoned, she replied that cellcept was the only thing that holds down my inflammation. I did read that it can build up in your system, but for now that is all I can take. She did tell me my last appt that if we see that doing the rtx every 6mos works that I might be able to go off of it. On a good note Ihave only been hospitalized one time in a year. Everyone reacts differently and I am wishing all the best with your journey. Bless you!
    Jana

Do not fear anything, just do it afraid!
    It does not matter how slowly you go, as long as you do not stop!

Santo, Texas (60 miles west of Fort Worth)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jaha View Post
    Deb,
    I've been on cellcept for almost 2 years, i take 2-500 mg twice a day. This is after all the other meds didn't hold me. I also have had 3 rounds of rtx and I'm on 12.5 preds(tapering down hopefully this time) and bacterium 3 times a week. I have a lot of dizziness,headaches,nausea and get uti's freq. I told my doc that I thought I was feeling like I was being poisoned, she replied that cellcept was the only thing that holds down my inflammation. I did read that it can build up in your system, but for now that is all I can take. She did tell me my last appt that if we see that doing the rtx every 6mos works that I might be able to go off of it. On a good note Ihave only been hospitalized one time in a year. Everyone reacts differently and I am wishing all the best with your journey. Bless you!
    My experience with Cellcept sounds a lot like yours. All the other Wg meds made me even sicker. This was all that was left. I had all your symptoms. The diarrhea was the worst I think. Half my day. Really limits what you can do and where you can go. I thought I was actually going to die the latter part of 2013 I felt so bad. I was picking out songs for my funeral. I had sinus infections as usual and couldn't get rid of them. I am being treated at the Cleveland Clinic. I do take two Rituximab infusions twice a year since 2011 and that has helped the most I think. Doctor Villa-Forte talked with me about my worsening daily condition. She said my labs looked OK, but I felt absolutely awful. Every time I got down to about 12mg pred, I'd have a flare up in my legs and feel bad all over to boot. She let me reduce my Cellcept and that helped a little. I had begun skipping pills on my own because they are hard for me to swallow and because they made me so sick. Finally, she let me quit taking Cellcept altogether and treated the sinus infections with a strong antibiotic. The thinking was that the Rituximab was keeping the WG dog asleep well enough and that without the immune suppressant Cellcept and with the help of the antibiotic I could get over the serial sinus infections. It worked pretty well. I've been off Cellcept since the beginning of the year and the symptoms are lessened but not gone completely. I guess the Pred has similar side effects. I'm down to 9mg Pred right now--the lowest I've been in my four years of WG, but still having sinus issues. Taking antibiotics again. (I take bactrim 3 times a week normally but I'm using Levaquin right now on the infection.)
    J. Mike Milliorn, Santo Texas
    Diagnosed Jan. 2011
    at the Cleveland Clinic

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast