User Tag List

Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What have you done for YOU lately?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default What have you done for YOU lately?

Hi, all, I'm starting this thread from the realization that relaxation, self-care, and FUN are so important in combatting this disease and both the stress that precedes it and the stress it causes. Let's celebrate taking care of ourselves! Hand in hand with some of us having a propensity to feel guilty, I expect others on here might hesitate to use time, effort and resources for themselves rather than taking care of everyone else first. Maybe we can encourage each other to take care of ourselves as well as everyone else. I'll start:

I took epic epic naps this weekend. One of them was five hours long. I must have needed it! Somehow my husband kept my son from waking me up, and when I did get up everyone had eaten dinner and I just needed to forage for myself. Tomorrow, I will go for a much-needed massage.

What have you done to take care of yourself lately? If nothing, what do you PLAN to do? I look forward to hearing.
    Just when the caterpillar thought the world was over, she became a butterfly.
    - English proverb.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had a pretty rocky start for the month of June. New rheumy decided to try me on Imuran again, and long story short, it made me very ill. Went to ER and they gave me an antibiotic that didn't react well with the Imuran. Again long story short, I was hospitalized on base for dehydration, thru the roof liver enzymes and an enlarged liver! I'm feeling better, but I'm still very tired. I have been doing exactly what they told me.....REST! I've been resting. Which is something that I generally don't do. I always feel like I need to be productive, even if it's doing hobby work. I have done some beading, but beyond that? Nothing. And it's been kind of nice.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

aww Lisa, you are so sweet I am that you are able to give yourself some rest and peaceful times.
    what I feel that I need is rest, rest and rest. also peace.
    Alysia
    dx 2008

Here, in this forum, I have found my sweet eternal love, my beautiful Phil.. :
    https://www.wegeners-granulomatosis.com/forum/threads/4238-pberggren-memorial-thread
    "You are my sunshine", he used to sing to me... "you make me happy, when skies are grey" I still answer him.
    Rest in Peace, my brave Batman and take care of your weggies from heaven, until we meet again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been worried about entertaining and keeping up with my kids 24/7 during the teachers' strike here. I don't have as much energy as they do on my best days. Woke up with a headache today. Just booked my sitter for today's nap and tomorrow's appointment, and sports camp for Wednesday to break up the week and 'run' the kids. Now I can enjoy the time with them and plan fun activities knowing I will recharge during those times. As soon as I'm done my meditation and bath.
    - English proverb.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is a great idea for a thread, Lisa. The only things that come to mind right now are buying myself a pint of Ben and Jerry's frozen yogurt and a pint of another brand peanut butter chocolate chunk ice cream, last evening on the way home from the Market, since I had had a pretty good day of sales. We have a discount grocery outlet here and the prices on those pints are unbelievably low, though you don't get a lot of flavor choices. I don't buy these things often; it must be 6 months since I bought anything like ice cream.

I hope to be able to report something a little bigger soon! The thread is an inspiration to do nice things for oneself. And hopefully, ones that don't contribute to the pred belly.
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good idea Lisa!! The nap too. I took my granddaughter out to a movie. Now we are back home, and my husband and Jessica are making jam and I am reading a book/doing fun computer stuff/napping. Left over Shepherd's pie and Tuscan Asparagus are in the oven waiting to turn on when the jam makers are done mucking around. Lovely and peaceful. Plus, the antibiotic has definitely kicked in, so I feel better. A good day to all, and all a good night!
    Jacquie (aka Lifelong Booknut)

Updated status: "Honorary Weggie"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm so glad you are feeling better and having fun with your loved ones, Jacquie. And naps are always on my list of nice things to do for myself. Since having WG, I almost never feel guilty for taking a nap when I could be doing something productive. Naps ARE productive for people with chronic illnesses.
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So far this year I go see the chiro and massage at least once a week. I do it so I can stay alive. I know I would not be alive without a chiro.
    Phil Berggren, dx 2003

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The 'like' is for you seeing the chiro and massage. Not for the fact that you don't think you could live but for chiro. I'm glad you have a good one.
    - English proverb.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I let myself nap on a regular basis...I LOVE MY BED!!!
    What I am really excited about is that my nephrologist and cardiologist has given me the ok to restart a diet that I was very successful on before I got sick a year and a half ago. seeing that I have gained 40+ pounds I am psyched to start again. That is definitely doing something good for myself!
    Mary
    dx'd Janaury 2013
    involvement: lungs, kidney and sinus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast