User Tag List

Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Intermittent Fasting: possibly good for WG Patients?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Intermittent Fasting: possibly good for WG Patients?

https://news.usc.edu/63669/fasting-t...immune-system/

Looks interesting, possibly relevant.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pierre,that is interesting but I know I couldn't go 3 days without eating. And if you have to take medication with food what then. Is food replaced with juicing or is it nothing at all ?
    Life isn't about how you survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain !

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Diabetics could not do this. Also from what I read in the article this is done to stimulate the immune system. Since Wegs is caused by an overactive immune system I'm not sure this would be good for us.
    Cindy

Earth is just a stopover and whatever you achieve there is only a small part of the deal. The Afterlife Of Billy Fingers

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This might be ok for weggies who are in medication free remission. However, I have difficulty with the concept of putting extra stress on a body that needs meds to achieve/maintain remission or a body that manifests active disease.
    Last edited by Pete; 06-09-2014 at 01:15 PM. Reason: Correct spelling
    Pete
    dx 1/11

"Every day is a good day. Some are better than others." - unknown

"Take your meds as directed and live your life as fully as you can." - Michael Chacey, MD

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is an interesting article but each person has to carefully evaluate whether it is a good idea for them. I know my stomach has already been damaged by prednisone and I am still taking it. Therefore it would be a bad idea for me to take pred without food. In my perfect world I would someday not be taking drugs and could do fasting like this again- although I feel great benefit from doing an apple cleanse instead of this.
    Debra you could go 3 days without eating. (Just go camping without taking any food. ha)
    I'm not suggesting you should. I once fasted on water for 14 days. Ironically, it is after three days that you loose the craving for food. Yes, I was not hungry after going nuts the first three days. Also counter intuitive is the fact that I experienced MORE energy while fasting than when I was stuffing my face.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can rarely go three hours without food.
    Just when the caterpillar thought the world was over, she became a butterfly.
    - English proverb.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

me2, You may be able to go 3 days without eating but when I get hungry I can spin my head around like in the excersist... I need food !!
    I agree you do have more energy than when you are stuffed. I drink alot of water which keeps me from being so hungry but not 3 days worth.
    Life isn't about how you survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain !

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Friends of mine are doing a juice cleanse/exercise challenge and going in as a group got a deal on the pre-made fresh juices from a juicing company. I decided to go in on the deal, and use the juice as a supplement to food instead of a replacement (and because it's a LOT of juice if you're also eating food, i'm sharing it with my hubby). I'm hoping it will kick-start our commitment to using our juicer again. I don't do well without protein and carbs, but this way I'm also getting more fruit and veg nutrients than I could ever possibly eat in a day. Some of them even taste good! (not the 'deep green'). This might be an idea for others too. It's less expensive to buy a juicer and do it yourself but quite a bit of work. I thought maybe three days' worth made by someone else would give me the extra energy to continue...
    Just when the caterpillar thought the world was over, she became a butterfly.
    - English proverb.