Likes Likes:  0
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Flu vaccines

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well great ya'll . I don't know rather to get it now or not. I got both the flu and pneumonia shot last year and never got sick and there is so much going around this year. Especially that virus that is making alot of kids sick. I'm still thinking on doing it.
    Life isn't about how you survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain !

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I always check with my doctors and so far they all recommend I get it. So most likely I will get it at one of my next doctor appointments. They do all agree though it most likely won't be very effective given my age and poor immune system from Wegs and diabetes, but they also say that any help reducing the risk of flu is worth taking since for the same reasons it may be ineffective is also why the flu would be very dangerous for me if I get it. So if I can reduce the risk of getting it 10% it worth taking since my chances of dying from the flu may be greater than that without it. If I had had any serious reaction to the flu shots they would advise me against getting the shot anymore. Until that happens my doctors figure the risk of a serious adverse reaction is less than my risk of dying from the flu.
    Last edited by drz; 10-07-2014 at 02:42 AM.
    Knowledge is power! Wisdom is using it to make good decisions!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been told since my dx and the drug protocols that with so many drugs in me, why take it...I'm protected just like anyone else. But, now I am off pred and weaning off mtx, so maybe I should get one now. Haven't had any probs not getting one...docs kept me away from the live virii - it's all they warned against. I have had no problems w/flu or anything else since my dx and no shots, and I'm out in public all the time.
    Knowing how to think empowers you far beyond those who only know what to think. -NdT

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My doc also said that it wouldn't be all that effective, but why not get at least some protection, given what is going on in my lungs. I asked if if anything was really going on in my lungs. He said there is scarring in there. But I don't feel there has been anything going on in my lungs for a long time, and I think they are in pretty good shape. I figure, if it isn't that effective in people on immunosuppressants, why bother? I guess I'm still on the fence but leaning toward not getting it. And knowing me, that means I won't get it. I'm very good about the hand washing, using hand sanitizer, and all that. I think about it with just about every move I make. I do understand, Don, why you'd consider it now that you are off pred and weaning off the MTX. Congrats on that, BTW.
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sbeach78 to answer your question about getting the flu shot. My WG Dr said I should every year due to my immune system being so low. I had it last year and no problem. I recieved my flu shot last week. He told me it was important. I hope that helps.
    CJ

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeh ,congrats Don on getting off the pred amd weamimg off the mtx,thats great news. I am leaning on gettting it, since I am only on pred. my system I don't think is surpressed like others on different drugs. But I have a week to think about it.
    Life isn't about how you survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain !

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I got my shot today....no issues at all. I would hate to get the flu with my repressed immune system.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow! Another great article. Wonder if the same indemnity clause is crushable in Canada if this lawsuit proves that they were negligent.

Everyone seemed so shocked when the tobacco companies were outed for falsifying data and lying to the public, but they used their model from the sugar companies. Which are also going to go the same route eventually, so why wouldn't pharmaceutical companies do the same thing with their cash cows. There is big business in disease, but a regular, bi-yearly cash infusion from the 'fear of disease' that is so propagated by the pharmaceutical companies themselves in vaccines, seems like something to be protected as vehemently as possible. Especially if you can't get sued for the negative side effects your product has on countless lives.

As much as I love doctors and the fact that they've saved my life, they are still people who worry about job security and feeding their families, so of course they're not going to veer too far from the party line. Every doc of mine is convinced that I got WG from the H1N1 vaccine and that since then vaccines are no good for me. They tell me this in the privacy of their offices, but I wouldn't dream of putting them on the spot and asking them to vouch for this publicly. I know they'd have a hard time with that.

As I mentioned before Vasculitis is on the list (that nobody shows you) of potential adverse side effects for the H1N1 vaccine, a vaccine that was put out in the 70's (with almost identical formulation) and was taken out of commission within weeks because it set of Gullian Barre's Syndrome in way too many people - a life threatening autoimmune disease that if left unchecked, can kill in weeks.

I think everyone needs to do what makes them comfortable, but I also think that blindly following your doctor's advice, without doing any research, is a dangerous road to be on. Once we are on the other side of this disease (past the flare stage) we have to heal not only from the disease but also from the drugs that we are on. This is a huge task, on both counts, so I think adding anything to the mix that might make this recovery harder is just self defeating.

The number one way to keep germs away is to wash your hands and not touch your face holes. This notion is supported by the CDC. It's simple. It's free, but I guess for many people in our 'make it as easy as possible for me' society, getting a jab is easier in the short run, but for me, that one jab changed my life forever. FOR EVER!!!! And there is no going back. The long run sucks for me because of an unwise choice for a short term, easy solution.

I was so pleased to see that poster in the elevator of my doctor's office. The one promoting hand washing instead of the usual poster I see this time of year promoting the flu shot. I hope we're getting smarter because of our communal mistakes, it sure felt that way when I took a ride up the elevator to my doctor's office.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Being in the UK and getting my flu shot via NHS I can not see how in this instance flu shots are purely "cash cows" for pharmaceutical companies.
    The NHS can't afford to waste money on thousands of vaccines to give to high risk patients if they don't actually work.
    It's only fairly recently that the NHS will allow patients to receive Rituximab due to the high cost.

Now I could come up with a conspiracy theory that the pharmaceutical company gives the NHS a certain amount of vaccines for free and pays them to administer them with the whole aim of tricking the UK (well the people not entitled to a free jab) into thinking "they must be beneficial as the NHS uses them" with the long term hope of selling the vaccines via pharmacies.
    But I think that is a bit far fetched!
    Diagnosed April 1995

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast