Likes Likes:  0
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Flu vaccines

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lisa, no legal action against Pharmaceutical companies when it comes to vaccines. They are protected by government when it comes to vaccines. That's why so many countries (other than Canada and Russia in the G8) protect people against negative side effects and take care of them if they are the few that will get zinged. Everyone knows there's collateral damage, it's just that our government and Russia, refuse to consider the price that a few have to pay for the greater good and herd immunity. It's a terrible system. Hard to keep yourself from going all 'conspiracy theory.'

Phil, since I got sick none of us have gotten vaccines. Before getting sick we all had all the ones we needed, but none of us had ever gotten the flu shot before. I've always believed that the flu shot is a completely useless thing. We, as the human race have been able to deal with flus and colds. Suddenly we are told that we are doomed if we don't get one. The amount of money spent by Health Canada convincing the population to go out and get jabbed blows my mind. I've been saying "if they spent as much money promoting healthy habits to avoid the flue - stay at home when sick, wash hands regularly, don't touch your face.... etc. it would be way more effective than inoculating the entire population twice a year, every year."

I get a little too passionate about this. It is the one thing about getting sick that focuses my energy on the negative, so I try and avoid it because I'd rather focus on the positive... hence all the other WG, Vasculitis, Autoimmune Disease stuff I keep my brain occupied with. I need to have a bigger voice to make a change in this area, and there are too many people who will fight against this thinking as if they're fighting for life. I saw a doc the other day for a different thing, and we started talking (he's a resident) and he was totally challenging me. I found it hard to have the conversation because our time was limited so I couldn't explain why I feel so strongly about this. He managed to make me feel small and stupid for thinking this and I will probably not see him again...

Take care you all, and don't follow the herd for the sake of herd immunity. Make smart, informed decisions because you are now not the same part of the herd you were before diagnosis. Yes the chances are small, but so is getting Wegener's, and we all won that lottery.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unfortunately Marta this conspiracy is not a theory. It is fact And against a fact there is no argument.

I ran into a doc similar to the resident you ran into. She also kinda ruined my day. She was very adamant that I should get the flu shot. She said I was putting so many others at risk by not getting it. I still cannot understand how I am putting others at risk by not getting it. My train of thought was so off course that by the time my main doc came in to see me I was a bit flustered and didn't get to talk about everything in my notes. I know you are like me and come with your notebook when you see your doc in Edmonton or any doc for that matter.

I am glad I won the Wegs lottery. You are all a great bunch and such a tremendous blessing.
    Phil Berggren, dx 2003

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I went out to get some groceries last night and heard this on the CBC. It made me cry. I sat in my car and cried.

Here it is in case you need a little extra fuel to dislike the way Pharmaceutical companies and governments operate when it comes to vaccines.
    Audio | As It Happens with Carol Off and Jeff Douglas | CBC Radio

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Such a horrid story. This goes on all over the world unfortunately.
    Phil Berggren, dx 2003

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OMG! I had the flu shot in April and have been suffering with intermittently flu symptoms ever since - fatigue, headache, painful joints. Don't know whether the current (southern hemisphere) vaccine is live or dead. I talked to my GP and she told me that the northern hemisphere had a weaker form of the vaccine and there were a lot of deaths from the flu. The vaccine was apparently made stronger for the southern hemisphere as a result.
    As I said, I've been having flu symptoms ever since and was put on antibiotics. They no longer work on the symptoms now. I've had pain in my hand & wrist for the past few days. Stupid me - I thought it was tendonitis. Today I have a headache, pain in my ear, in my ear cartilage, and in my mastoid so it FINALLY dawned on me that I'm having a flare! My Immunologist only works on Wednesdays (locally) so I'm going to get a call in to him and nip this in the bud. He wants me to do a drug trial (Australia is behind the U.S. in respect of drug appovals) but trials involve an awful lot of time and making one's self available at least once a week to begin with. I also prefer not to do ctx again (it was stuffed up before). My ANCA has never gone below 24 and normally hangs around 38-40. Anyone have something similar happen? Anyone out there ever get WG in their ear cartilage? Just feeling a bit overwhelmed at the moment.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hopeful View Post
    Anyone out there ever get WG in their ear cartilage? .
    http://www.wegeners-granulomatosis.c...outer-ear.html
    Alysia
    dx 2008

Here, in this forum, I have found my sweet eternal love, my beautiful Phil.. :
    https://www.wegeners-granulomatosis.com/forum/threads/4238-pberggren-memorial-thread
    "You are my sunshine", he used to sing to me... "you make me happy, when skies are grey" I still answer him.
    Rest in Peace, my brave Batman and take care of your weggies from heaven, until we meet again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OMG! I had the flu shot in April and have been suffering with intermittently flu symptoms ever since - fatigue, headache, painful joints. Don't know whether the current (southern hemisphere) vaccine is live or dead .
    My rheumy advised that our flu vaccine is not live.
    She still recommended that I should not have it, not because of the vaccine itself but because she questioned why I would want to put any more chemicals and stress on and in my body, than I already have.

Hey Hopeful, what part of our great land of Oz do you come from.
    If you are on facebook, you should check out of Group full of Aussies and Kiwi's.

I hope your immunologist can see you straight away and get these symptoms sorted out.
    Keep Smiling
    Michelle

Live your life in a way that you wouldn't be ashamed to sell the family parrot to the town gossip - WILL ROGERS

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OMG! I had the flu shot in April and have been suffering with intermittently flu symptoms ever since - fatigue, headache, painful joints. Don't know whether the current (southern hemisphere) vaccine is live or dead. I talked to my GP and she told me that the northern hemisphere had a weaker form of the vaccine and there were a lot of deaths from the flu. The vaccine was apparently made stronger for the southern hemisphere as a result.
    As I said, I've been having flu symptoms ever since and was put on antibiotics. They no longer work on the symptoms now. I've had pain in my hand & wrist for the past few days. Stupid me - I thought it was tendonitis. Today I have a headache, pain in my ear, in my ear cartilage, and in my mastoid so it FINALLY dawned on me that I'm having a flare! My Immunologist only works on Wednesdays (locally) so I'm going to get a call in to him and nip this in the bud. He wants me to do a drug trial (Australia is behind the U.S. in respect of drug appovals) but trials involve an awful lot of time and making one's self available at least once a week to begin with. I also prefer not to do ctx again (it was stuffed up before). My ANCA has never gone below 24 and normally hangs around 38-40. Anyone have something similar happen? Anyone out there ever get WG in their ear cartilage? Just feeling a bit overwhelmed at the moment.
    Oh man, I'm so sorry to hear this.

It is almost identical to what happened to me after getting my last flu shot (in 2010) which indeed did set off a flare.
    My first symptoms (first go around) started with my ears, and the pain, inside, outside and all around was insane. If antibiotics don't work, then you're definitely having a flare with that combination of symptoms and nipping it in the bud is the best thing you can do. To give it a good sucker punch my doc at the time put me on Solumedrol 1000mg for three days. This is kinda crazy because it's the equivalent of about 1500mg of pred. You get zapped, and your immune system gets zapped. Physically you feel the effects of it for a while, and then there's the decision of which chemo/biologic to use. It was at this point in my journey that my old doc and I parted ways. He kept me on CTX indefinitely. I was on it for 11 months in total - yuck. He totally dropped the ball on me as a patient and my case.
    I found a new doc, the best doc ever in my eyes. She put me on RTX, and it totally did the trick.
    I had my RTX 3 months after the flare onset which was 2 days after getting the flu shot (it took me about a week to end up in hospital.)

I believe what makes us more vulnerable to a flare from a flu shot once we are on treatment is the fact that the whole idea behind vaccines is to incite an immune response. It is this mechanism that has gone awry in our systems, and we treat it suppressing the immune response. I think this is what sets off a flare for some. We all have the same disease but get affected by it differently. We all have similar drugs but respond to them differently.... that's why treating this disease is such an art along with the science. I know I'm one of the people whose immune systems don't know when to settle down after an immune response provocation like a flu shot. So I stay away from them. A totally personal choice based on my own experience, but I hope that by sharing mine I can help someone avoid the whole thing altogether.

The flu shot is not a live vaccine, I think the only live vaccine around that would be a common one is the chicken pox vaccine - so absolutely stay away from that one if you're on treatment. As for the others, I think take what the promotional material says with a grain of salt.

I hope you and your doc can figure something out quick. The longer it (WG) takes hold, the harder it is to kick its butt. Which,of course, you'll do. Start kicking as soon as possible though, so you can crush it quicker and enjoy a good winter/summer feeling better.

Sending you light and strength. This too shall pass.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm from Canberra. Thanks to everyone for the warm thoughts. Called my immunologist and heard back from him within the hour. Did my bloods this morning (late for work - boss angry), upped the pred, and doc wants me to do another 3 pulses of ctx. I had 6 pulses when initially diagnosed and really couldn't stand it. I'm thinking about asking if I can do rtx instead.
    This is the first time I ever had a problem with the flu shot. I work with the public and was taking them every other year until I got WG/GPA in 2008. Since then I've had them every year. I think it was the combination of vaccines. From what I read on the NIH website it combined the worst of the California and Texas flu plus avian flu. A real whammy! The upside is that my husband is treating me extra special as a result!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We have a couple of people from Canberra in our facebook Group, I think

If you are interested, the link is below
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/516643745050360/
    Keep Smiling
    Michelle

Live your life in a way that you wouldn't be ashamed to sell the family parrot to the town gossip - WILL ROGERS

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast