Thread: Flu vaccines

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mishb View Post
    Hi Sunshine,

I also have the daily public transport commute - over an hour each way.

I use a thick scarf instead of a mask - people don't tend to stare as much. It does work.

The other day a man sneezed on a lady sitting a few seats ahead of me. He didn't cover his mouth and his sneeze carried mucus from his mouth and landed on the side of her face. OMG - she just got a tissue out of her bag and cleaned it up. He kept apologising for about ten minutes.

I was not faced with that situation but all of could think of was, what would I do if it was me
    My daughters (whom I travel with each day) would have got up and knocked the man out - me, I think I would have just cried
    I would have then had a shower when I got home and then I would need counselling for the next ten years

What would you all do ??
    The thick scarf is a great idea!

And wow, that sneezing story sounds traumatic! I have to stop myself from frowning when people around me cough or sneeze...I immediately get worried that I'll catch whatever it is they have. I would try to respond kindly to that situation....and then douse myself in Purell and take a shower as soon as possible!
    "Drink your tea slowly and reverently, as if it is the axis on which the whole earth revolves—slowly, evenly, without rushing toward the future. Live the actual moment. Only this actual moment is life." -Thich Nhat Hanh

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just wanted to post that I got both the flu and pneumonia vaccines one week ago with no ill effects. I know people have strong opinions on either side of the fence but just wanted to post my personal experience in case someone is actually still sitting on the fence and unsure what to do. I decided to get both because my rheumatologist, kidney doctor, and internal medicine doctor all recommended the flu shot, and my internal medicine doctor also recommended the pneumonia shot and could even show me documentation that it really was recommended for immunosuppressed people as I tend to be skeptical myself. I'm also hoping to avoid any more hospitalizations, so want to decrease my risk of flu or pneumonia.

There are a lot of great suggestions on this thread for infection control, and I just wanted to add a couple:

After you wash your hands in a public restroom, leave the water running and use the paper towel to turn off the water faucet to avoid getting germs on your hands. You can also use it to open the door before throwing it away.
    Don't share hand towels with your family members, I have a paper towel holder by my kitchen sink, and Kleenex makes disposable hand towels that are designed to fit over a towel holder that I have in my bathroom.
    I carry packets of antibacterial wipes with me and will wipe down the table in a restaurant before I eat, and also shopping carts if sanitizing wipes aren't available in the stores.
    I make my kids and myself wash our hands as the first thing we do when we get home after being out somewhere.
    I also carry hand sanitizer with me and in my car and use it right after being out in public or with people.

I may sound like a germaphobe,but have worked in healthcare for many years and there are a lot of nasty bugs out there.

Stay well everyone, and let's get through the winter without getting sick!Or sicker!
    We must let go of the life we have planned so as to accept the one that is waiting for us.
    Joseph Campbell

When sleeping women wake, mountains move.
    Chinese proverb

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All my docs have also recommended the available vaccines: flu, pneumonia, DPT, and shingles. I was directed to wait until I was at 10 mg prednisone to get the Zostavax (shingles) shot. Considering that I have this illness, I think the remote chance of any short or long term effects of vaccines is the least of my worries. Also, I'm pretty much a mainstream medicine kind of guy, and as long as my trusted physicians are recommending vaccinations, I'm going with what they say.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskatom View Post
    All my docs have also recommended the available vaccines: flu, pneumonia, DPT, and shingles. I was directed to wait until I was at 10 mg prednisone to get the Zostavax (shingles) shot. Considering that I have this illness, I think the remote chance of any short or long term effects of vaccines is the least of my worries. Also, I'm pretty much a mainstream medicine kind of guy, and as long as my trusted physicians are recommending vaccinations, I'm going with what they say.
    You may want to revisit getting the shingles shot with your doc. It's a live virus shot, and those are generally not recommended for immunosuppressed people. Also, the nasal flu shot given to kids and people over 65 is live virus. I get the annual flu shot with no ill effects. Got shingles shot about 4 years before I got sick. I think the pneumonia shot is once every five years, so I've got a couple of years to go before my next one.
    Pete
    dx 1/11

"Every day is a good day. Some are better than others." - unknown

"Take your meds as directed and live your life as fully as you can." - Michael Chacey, MD

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mrtmeo View Post
    Very interesting article. Quite in line with my thinking. Thanks for the share!!!!

One thing that's different in Canada is that we don't have a Vaccine Compensation program. Canada and Russia are the only two countries in the G8 who don't protect the people (and they know there will be a certain percentage who get adverse reactions) who take a hit for herd immunity. That's what vaccines are. They're not designed for individual benefits (that's a byproduct) the whole thing is to create herd immunity, and the ones who don't fare well are collateral damage.

I am collateral damage living in Canada.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by marta View Post
    Very interesting article. Quite in line with my thinking. Thanks for the share!!!!

One thing that's different in Canada is that we don't have a Vaccine Compensation program. Canada and Russia are the only two countries in the G8 who don't protect the people (and they know there will be a certain percentage who get adverse reactions) who take a hit for herd immunity. That's what vaccines are. They're not designed for individual benefits (that's a byproduct) the whole thing is to create herd immunity, and the ones who don't fare well are collateral damage.

I am collateral damage living in Canada.
    IMO, I believe vaccinations are nothing more than population control.
    Why would anyone think that injecting Mercury(2nd most toxic substance next to plutonium) and Aluminium with foreign proteins into the blood stream is okay?
    We all have the SV40 cancer causing virus thanks to the polio vaccine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IMO, I believe vaccinations are nothing more than population control.
    Why would anyone think that injecting Mercury(2nd most toxic substance next to plutonium) and Aluminium with foreign proteins into the blood stream is okay?
    We all have the SV40 cancer causing virus thanks to the polio vaccine.
    Lets not go there. This subject is a real hotbed for discussion with strongly held opinions and verges on political.

Lets limit all discussion to posting scientific articles by well-known, reputable institutions and let others draw their own conclusions from reading the material. For the most part, unless one of us has medical training, our opinions one way or the other, are little more than untrained conjecture and just adds confusion to the topic. If we limit discussions to the scientific journals and keep our opinions out of it, it will easier to keep the forum focused on Wegeners. Thank you!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

https://www.rheumatology.org/Publica...ease_Patients/

I guess I knew there was disagreement/controversy on this subject, some of it bordering on political as Vdub says. I do NOT have a medical degree and I do not ever intend to give medical advice, only to recount my experience, for whatever value it may have to others. My physicians recommended the vaccine, and I followed their advice. For those interested, the above link contains what I think is the latest from the ACR on this subject, and is consistent with what my docs have said. In my case I believe it was recommended and considered "safe" because I was not on biologic therapy, but under consideration for it at some point, and had tapered to relatively low dose prednisone and MTX before getting the shot.

Quote Originally Posted by vdub View Post
    Lets not go there. This subject is a real hotbed for discussion with strongly held opinions and verges on political.

Lets limit all discussion to posting scientific articles by well-known, reputable institutions and let others draw their own conclusions from reading the material. For the most part, unless one of us has medical training, our opinions one way or the other, are little more than untrained conjecture and just adds confusion to the topic. If we limit discussions to the scientific journals and keep our opinions out of it, it will easier to keep the forum focused on Wegeners. Thank you!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When I had my knee surgery a couple years ago, I had to go off mtx. My doc suggested I use the window of opportunity to get a shingles shot, which I did.

Interesting, that just this morning, ABC is reporting this year's flu shot may have missed the mark and not provide as much coverage as usual. That's a bummer, but its all a guessing game when you are having to predict a year into the future when making the vaccine.

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast