Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Thread: Flu vaccines

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Debra C View Post
    Why is it whenever I go to the Cleveland Clinic the rhuemy stresses upon the inportance of getting the flu shot. He knows about wg and the inflamation and all the other issues that come with it. Why do they want us ( and the elderly ) to have it so bad. I had mine ,so this conversation is to late for me this year but I will definately have second thoughts about it next year.
    Simple. If you don't get the flu shot and are unlucky enough to catch the flu, there is a greater risk of severe complications if you have GPA than if you do not. Ditto if you are elderly and therefore more frail. If you take the flu shot and get the flu, the effects are likely to be less severe and complicated. Unless you strongly believe (and there's NO scientific reason to do so) that the (non-live) vaccine will somehow harm you, why not get the annual shot?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by miracleshappen08 View Post
    I don't get any of the vaccines! I stay away from them. One I hate shots lol, but I just don't take a chance. My internal medicine doc said that that is fine. But I also try to limit being out durning the winter when stuff is the worse. And if I go somewhere with a lot of people I wear a mask.
    Not even the pneumonia vaccine? It's good for 5 years. Also, a mask isn't enough - you're more likely to "catch" the virus on your hands and then transmit it near your nostril (a person touches his/her face a godawful number of times each day!).

Stay well!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MaxD View Post
    Simple. If you don't get the flu shot and are unlucky enough to catch the flu, there is a greater risk of severe complications if you have GPA than if you do not. Ditto if you are elderly and therefore more frail. If you take the flu shot and get the flu, the effects are likely to be less severe and complicated. Unless you strongly believe (and there's NO scientific reason to do so) that the (non-live) vaccine will somehow harm you, why not get the annual shot?
    Some people have serious or severe reactions to the vaccinations. If this happens, then you should not get it anymore according to my Weg doctors. Other wise they recommend it for the above reasons. They do concede though that because of my age and suppressed immune system the odds of the vaccine helping me are greatly reduced, but then if I get the flu my odds of dying from complications are likewise greatly increased if I didn't get the vaccination.
    Last edited by drz; 11-11-2014 at 02:22 PM.
    Knowledge is power! Wisdom is using it to make good decisions!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

drz: thanks for the clarification. If one has a (possibly life-threatening) allergy to substances in the vaccine (most likely eggs or gelatin) then of course you must stay away from it - whether you have GPA or not. This happens in 1 or 2 people out of a million - and being stuck with GPA doesn't change that. The possibility of complications from the flu is far greater. Btw, the CDC has lots of information anyone can read up to learn more about the risks of flu vaccines: Seasonal Flu Shot | Seasonal Influenza (Flu) | CDC

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

drz: thanks for the clarification. If one has a (possibly life-threatening) allergy to substances in the vaccine (most likely eggs or gelatin) then of course you must stay away from it - whether you have GPA or not. This happens in 1 or 2 people out of a million - and being stuck with GPA doesn't change that. The possibility of complications from the flu is far greater. Btw, the CDC has lots of information anyone can read up to learn more about the risks of flu vaccines: Seasonal Flu Shot | Seasonal Influenza (Flu) | CDC
    There is also for us Weggies the concern of something triggering a flare. Infections are thought to some times do this. Any serious illness might also do that for us without being life threatening. Allergies can tend to worsen with exposure so a significant reaction might also be life threatening next time. But I have not had any adverse reactions to my vaccinations for the flu so my doctors see no reasons to for go them. People who have gotten ill from the vaccinations usually opt out of them but most people don't have such a negative reaction. But then most people don't get Wegs either.
    Knowledge is power! Wisdom is using it to make good decisions!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not even the pneumonia vaccine? It's good for 5 years. Also, a mask isn't enough - you're more likely to "catch" the virus on your hands and then transmit it near your nostril (a person touches his/her face a godawful number of times each day!).

Stay well!
    To chime in on the flu season mask discussion:

I wear a mask on my daily commute (I live in a city and take public transportation--very crowded!) and I find that, although it's a little embarrassing, it helps in a lot of ways. One of which is what you mention: I can't touch my face during my commute and immediately before I take off my mask, I use hand sanitizer. I figure that being conscious of not touching my nose/mouth helps just as much as any effect the mask might have. And as another unintended side effect: people tend to keep their distance from me with the mask, which also reduces the risk someone will cough or sneeze near me.

As for the pneumonia vaccine: my doctor said I'm too immunosupressed to get one now and he doesn't want to risk it.

On his recommendation, I got a flu vaccine this year (for the first time ever) with no side effects.
    "Drink your tea slowly and reverently, as if it is the axis on which the whole earth revolves—slowly, evenly, without rushing toward the future. Live the actual moment. Only this actual moment is life." -Thich Nhat Hanh

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Sunshine,

I also have the daily public transport commute - over an hour each way.

I use a thick scarf instead of a mask - people don't tend to stare as much. It does work.

The other day a man sneezed on a lady sitting a few seats ahead of me. He didn't cover his mouth and his sneeze carried mucus from his mouth and landed on the side of her face. OMG - she just got a tissue out of her bag and cleaned it up. He kept apologising for about ten minutes.

I was not faced with that situation but all of could think of was, what would I do if it was me
    My daughters (whom I travel with each day) would have got up and knocked the man out - me, I think I would have just cried
    I would have then had a shower when I got home and then I would need counselling for the next ten years

What would you all do ??
    Keep Smiling
    Michelle

Live your life in a way that you wouldn't be ashamed to sell the family parrot to the town gossip - WILL ROGERS

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd probably do the same thing the woman did. But make sure to use hand sanitizer after using the tissue to clean my face, and put some on my face, too, and around all my facial orifices. The man did not mean to do it but was an idiot for not covering his mouth and nose, and I hope his profuse apology means he learned his lesson.
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I use hand sanitizer a lot but don't forget that hand sanitizer does not kill all bugs. Washing with soap and water is superior to using sanitizer. Sanitizer is for when we can't use soap and water.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by me2 View Post
    I use hand sanitizer a lot but don't forget that hand sanitizer does not kill all bugs. Washing with soap and water is superior to using sanitizer. Sanitizer is for when we can't use soap and water.
    I've always heard this but am kinda curious as to how soap would kill bugs. But anyway, after using the hand sanitizer on the bus with the sneezing, coughing guy, I would instinctively wash my hands with soap and hot water at the earliest convenience, for sure.
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast