Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Steroids and Osteoporosis

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Steroids and Osteoporosis

I got results of A DXA (short for dual-energy X-ray absorptiometry) scan today from my GPA medics confirming borderline Osteoporosis caused as a side effect of Pred --- can you imagine the shock--- warned not to overdo exercise which may cause fractures, recommended to take D3 + Calc (more f*** pills) they reduced Pred from 20mg to 15mg ASAP and to 12.5 in 4 weeks.
    Muscles already weakened and now this.
    Am losing weight down to 61kg.
    Has anybody else got Osteoporosis or brittle bone and what has been the outcome????
    All best
    Stephen

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had osteopenia when my first dexa came back. I've been taking the calcium/D pills, and the second dexa showed no change. I'm supposed to have another dexa in August.
    Pete
    dx 1/11

"Every day is a good day. Some are better than others." - unknown

"Take your meds as directed and live your life as fully as you can." - Michael Chacey, MD

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think that's a problem for a lot of us, and some of us are already predisposed to osteoporosis. I can't report, as I haven't had a bone density scan since before I knew I had Wegs. I had some osteopenia in my upper spine. I take Calcium and D3 along the bone-building supplement Fosamax (alendronate sodium) but have been slacking off on the Fosamax as I've been taking it for several years and there are some warnings and possible negative effects from it.

What I've been wondering just lately is, does anyone know, could the prednisone be causing or contributing to the bone erosion many of us have had in our sinuses? Or would that have happened anyway due to the damage caused by the disease?
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Strontium is key to bone support.
    Phil Berggren, dx 2003

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi I was just diagnosed with a compression fracture of L1 and L 2 . I was not doing anything more strenuous than yoga and weeding my garden. I was hoping to be able to get my body moving and that is delayed. I start physical therapy and I am looking forward to learn safe exercises. My doctor is ordering a bone scan and we will decide on meds and/or supplements. The three years of pred has turned my bones into swiss cheese. LOL. Perhaps you can also look into physical therapy and learn safe ways to rebuild your muscles. Next time I am in Wexford or Galway I can share with you some exercises.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stephwest View Post
    I got results of A DXA (short for dual-energy X-ray absorptiometry) scan today from my GPA medics confirming borderline Osteoporosis caused as a side effect of Pred --- can you imagine the shock--- warned not to overdo exercise which may cause fractures, recommended to take D3 + Calc (more f*** pills) they reduced Pred from 20mg to 15mg ASAP and to 12.5 in 4 weeks.
    Muscles already weakened and now this.
    Am losing weight down to 61kg.
    Has anybody else got Osteoporosis or brittle bone and what has been the outcome????
    All best
    Stephen
    After my last bone scan I was advised to continue on the generic Fosomax which I had hoped to get off after three years. After long term use it can cause the very problems it seems intended to prevent. I am careful to try avoid falls since I was warned I might shatter like an egg. So far no breaks, but lot of dental problems and issues as my teeth often shatter and fall apart.
    Knowledge is power! Wisdom is using it to make good decisions!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Three MRI's and found out I had seven bulging disks, severe osteoporosis , osteoarthritis and scoliosis. The bulging most likely due to years of heavy lifting. The significant loss of bone is due to hereditary disposition for osteoporosis , but neurologist did say that prednisone was also a factor. Gotta love prednisone! I've been taking a drug called Forteo. I just past my first year and now have till April 2015 and hopefully will never have to take another osteoporosis drug. Forteo was designed primarily for cancer patients. But with some of the drugs we have to take its an option for us. Yes, with any drug there are possible side affects, but I felt it was worth the risk. Especially after I fractured a rib leaning over the tub.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wish more of our docs would mention Forteo, or the strontium that Phil mentioned, in case they might be options that would work for us. Many of us are at an age where our bones are thinning anyway, especially if we are small boned and genetically predisposed, as I am, too. So all the pred we take is adding insult to injury. Yet we don't want to take things that may harm us, and Fosamax makes me nervous. I may have been on it about 5 years, since I was on it pre-Wegs. My doc says 5 years is the limit, and I've been taking it under his care for 3 years, but then he barely acts like he's listening when I say I was already on it before I got to him. I think I can make an executive decision to stop taking it. I've researched strontium a little on the web and there were some warnings, but I need to pursue it further. You are right, any of these things carry some risks. I guess I need to figure out how long I've been on Fosamax, which I've already pretty much quit, BTW, although I lie to my doctor's nurse when she asks if I'm taking it. And I obviously need to get another bone density scan as it hasn't been done in maybe 5 years.
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How long were you on pred? I have been on 60 mg for almost a year finally tapering and as of today on 15 mg a day. Think I should ask MD about bone scan.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm really surprised that Drs don't automatically order Bone density tests for patients that have been on long term high dose steroids. I was going to say that it seems the logical thing to do, but there lies my answer. Lol!
    I have been on and off high doses of prednisone since Feb 2012 thru Nov 2013. The longest was from Feb 2012 till Aug 2012. That was at Dx's and while under the care of pulmonary doc. Off and on again from Oct 2012 till Nov2013. That was with EX-rheumy.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast