User Tag List

Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Toruble getting a good Pain Mgt. Dr.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Toruble getting a good Pain Mgt. Dr.

Dear Weggie friends, I have been in a dilemma for some time now. I chose a pain Dr. when I moved to Mobile, Al. after my divorce. I kindof interview them to see how they respond to me, and visa versa. I had a good one, then about 8 months ago the office changed Drs. The new one seemed good at first. Nice and friendly. Then on my second visit he seemed like a completely different person! I had my calendar out and my meds that he gives me. I usually tell my Dr. whats happened since my last visit (if something has happened he may need to know) and my bottles so he can count my pills to make sure I am taking them correctly, then usually a urine test, for the same reason. Well, he walked in, and looked at the bottles and my calendar book and said, "Whats all this?" I told him I had an incident with my wegeners he needed to know, and I thought he would want to count my pills. He said, "All I need to know is what medication you need, you can put all this up" So I got taken back by his attitude, it seemed like a different dr! I was embarrassed for having all that stuff on the table so I put it up, and got mad and tears started coming up in my eyes. He said, Whats wrong? Why are you crying? I told him I didn't want to talk about it, I just needed refills on the 3 meds he gives me. I sat down. THEN he asked me what I needed........WHY DID HE THINK I HAD THE BOTTLES ON THE TABLE? Not only that,,,,,,,The information on my meds should be in my file, which he DID NOT bring in the room! This is only the first incident. I am now looking for a new Dr. because he is taking me down on my strong meds, which I am glad of, because I was in the hospital, and they could not get me to sleep with the normal med to make you groggy to do the colonscopy because my tolerance to meds is so high. They gave me twice the amount, then my heart rate started to drop. So I agree with Mr. Mean Pain Dr. about taking me down on the strong meds. But I am going to get another Dr.Dr. Mean is different every time he comes in! He has written my prescriptions wrong 3 times! I had to go back and have him re-write them. My Mom comes with me almost EVERY time to all my Dr appts, and we go to Lunch after and visit. Well, 3 days ago, I went to him and he saw my mom and said "Hi, Im Dr. Mean (LOL), Who are you? Nice to meet you" OMG!!!!! Mom just looked at me and smiled and shook her head. He gave me my "new" prescriptions, to wean me off slowly, and I brought them to my pharmacy. When I picked them up, the pharmacist called me over, and told me that I am only supposed to take the extended release medication 2 times a day, because its in your system for 12 hours. But he had me taking it 3 times a day, every 8 hours. Ahhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!! Is he trying to kill me? So I was a wreck yesterday. Its hard to get a new pain dr. because you just don't know what you are getting and its hard to find one that understands wegeners, and that I have severe FACE pain. They just don't get it.
    If I told yall all this Dr. has done to me over the last 8 months, yall would think HE was a drug addict. Its like he meets me for the first time EVERY visit. He has told me I am an addict one time. Once when I was severly constipated, he came in and I was in a lot of pain, and kind of sitting forward, he said "whats wrong?" I said I did not feel well. He said, "you are shaking, are you hiding something?" I said "no", He said " you look guilty". I said, "then why don't you count my pills and give me a urine drug screen so you can trust me? You never do that. And have you done any research on wegeners? You still seem to think I cant have face pain. Have you talked to my EENT? Have you seen my sinus xrays, and the tubes in my eyes? The scabs I have to get out of my face every day? Do you care about me enough to do that? " He just walked out, sent his nurse in with my RX's and she said, "what happened in here?" I said I kindof confronted him and he walked out. She said, Lisa, you need another Dr. Find another Pain Dr. He is not all there, I cant say much, but find one.
    So I started looking. I cant find ONE that knows about wegeners! So since I work with my sister, (she got me a part time job doing ins.) She told me to take the day off and see if me and Mom and make some headway on finding a new Dr. So that's what Im going to do. I just had to vent. I was so upset yesterday, I left work early, came home, laid on my couch and cried myself to sleep. It was 3:30 in the afternoon. I woke up at 10pm, went into my room and slept all nite until 8am. I just called my Rite Aid I used before I moved out of my parents house to get a second opinion on the way he wrote the medication....taking it every 8 hrs instead of 12. She said it was fine, would not kill me! LOL But since I had a high tolerance, I may start getting pain before the 12 hours was up, so it was fine to take it that way because the dosage was 30mg instead of 60mg I was taking before. So I feel better about that!
    Sorry so long, I just had to get this off my chest to some people who understand the frustrations of this disease. Be careful with meds, take only what you need. I never took anything a Dr did not suggest we try for my pain. It started getting bad about 6 yrs ago. I never asked for a certain med, I don't know about any except Loritab I would take after a surgery. But that's hard on you liver, so Dr. would give me something else. Over the years, it just ended up that I was taking a strong med, so I want a Dr. who cares about me, and will remember who I am when they come in the room. Who will talk to my other Drs to get an Idea of what I need to take for the kind of pain I am having. So my search starts today......wish me luck, pray for me, whatever, Just need to find the right one. This stress is not good......Thanks for listening.
    Life is a Gift~ Lilly

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

aww Lilly, you are so sweet and your writing is wonderful, sweet-sour ....
    time to kick Dr. Mean in his **** and find some decent doc.
    I don't know how you survived all this
    I love your spirit. you are strong lady
    Alysia
    dx 2008

Here, in this forum, I have found my sweet eternal love, my beautiful Phil.. :
    https://www.wegeners-granulomatosis.com/forum/threads/4238-pberggren-memorial-thread
    "You are my sunshine", he used to sing to me... "you make me happy, when skies are grey" I still answer him.
    Rest in Peace, my brave Batman and take care of your weggies from heaven, until we meet again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That doc needs to take some pills for his own relief...bad 'bedside' manners. You may be a little thin skinned, but he's an ass...IMHO!! LOL!
    Knowing how to think empowers you far beyond those who only know what to think. -NdT

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I also have a doc who is an ass in many ways and knows how to prescribe for my WG, so far, but doesn't know WG. I have talked about him before. I've spent yesterday and today having hurt feelings for the short shrift he gives me at my appointments. Not having pain like you are, so don't have that to deal with, but thanks for the reminder that putting up with unpleasant docs is not necessary. And I do wish you luck, Lilly, and pray that you can find a good doc who treats you decently, without too much searching and stress involved in finding him or her.
    Last edited by annekat; 05-30-2014 at 05:06 AM.
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OK, this doc HAS TO GO!! In today's healthcare environment, ANY DOCTOR that is this big of an _ _ _ is NOT AN OPTION ANY LONGER!! I'd call the clinic and ask for his supervisor and complain too. If someone doesn't do something, then he can continue to act like this to others. Trust me, ONE PERSON CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE!

Can you use a phone or something else to sit on the counter to record the conversations? Of course, you have to tell him that you're doing that, but explain that you wnat o remember everything about he visit later. If he says no, politely ask him why, is he afraid of something?

Lilly, RUN AWAY FROM THIS IDIOT! Don't walk, RUN!!! (-8

Have a marvelous weekend!
    MikeG-2012

"You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lilly, so sad that you had to endure this doc's treatment, if you want to call it that. You know things are pretty bad when his nurse is telling you he's not all there and to find someone else. Maybe he's dipping into the drugs himself, who knows. I hope you find a new doc that is nice, caring and knows wegs. Good luck.
    Cindy

Earth is just a stopover and whatever you achieve there is only a small part of the deal. The Afterlife Of Billy Fingers

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is the doctor part of Specialized Pain management Clinic or Hospital Program? There should be other staff to help you as pain management is a specific skill just like treating Wegs and their expertise and experience are key to getting good treatment.
    Knowledge is power! Wisdom is using it to make good decisions!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You use a phone or something else to sit on the counter to record the conversations? Of course, you have to tell him that you're doing tha
    I'm not aware of having to tell someone they are being recorded. I do it all the time so I can listen again and make sure I didn't get anything mixed up.

As for the pain, I have 6 docs, but only 3 prescribe drugs; rheumy, endo, and PCP. They prescribe their own stuff, but they are all aware of each others. I have hundreds of pain tabs from tramadol to oxy, but I only take what I need -- mostly tramadol, but today was tough so I took norco (a step up from vicodin). The docs trust me, but I'm not sure why.

I think you need to find a good PCP. Your PCP should be coordinating the efforts of the others. That's my take on it. Best of luck!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by vdub View Post

I'm not aware of having to tell someone they are being recorded. I do it all the time so I can listen again and make sure I didn't get anything mixed up.

I record without letting them know also and unless you want to use it in court I don't see a problem with it. It's probably illegal to do it this way, however. I too use it to go back and listen to what the doctor said and I've found things I didn't remember or missed in during the appt. I don't think most of them would agree to be recorded because of malpractice.

I use Smart Voice on my tablet. It's very easy to use.
    Cindy

Earth is just a stopover and whatever you achieve there is only a small part of the deal. The Afterlife Of Billy Fingers

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sweet Lilly, I am SO sorry that you had to experience that! I do understand face pain and will pray for you in that area and for you to quickly overcome the lack of integrity of this man. It is hard enough to be in pain and feel bad, and even harder when someone is not understanding and compassionate and is down right uug-galy!! If you can forgive him, it will be better for you emotionally and physically.
    You just keep being your sweet, beautiful self and being a blessing to others around you and on this forum. I enjoy seeing your pic whenever you reply.
    God bless you,
    Beverly

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast