User Tag List

Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Toruble getting a good Pain Mgt. Dr.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I use Smart Voice on my tablet. It's very easy to use.
    That's the one I use as well. It cuts out silence.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you all so much for your suggestions, support and just being there for me. It helps incredibley! I took some action yesterday, and prayed about it, and got on the computer and found a Dr. who does Pain Management like it is supposed to be done. I talked to his receptionist, and he does drug tests (which establishes a form of trust between you and the Dr.) I have been a receptionist since I was 18 in hospitals and Dr offices, and I know how I answer the question "Is he a good Dr? Do people like him?" If the answer is NO, I say something like, "lots of his patients are very happy with him, just come in for an appointment and see how you like him". But if I know the Dr. is a good, honest, Dr. that loves helping people, and makes a differnence in their lives, I will let the person know that he is definitely one of the nicest doctors I have worked for, and patients do not leave when they come here, he treats them so well and they love him. He truly loves helping people. So when I talked to his receptionist, I got a GOOD feeling. I now have my ENT, Optholomologist who has put tubes in my eyes, I see her a lot!, and my Wegeners Dr. all Faxing over my entire Medical Records to him. If he wants to take me as a patient, they will schedule an appt. I will tactfully give him the facts of why I am wanting to change doctors. I do not want to make Dr Mean seem like a bad person, but by telling the FACTS, not my feelings for him, but just writing wrong RX 3 times, forgetting my Mother when she comes with me every time, calling me an addict, etc. I think the new Dr can draw his own conclusions. My mom and I will have a list of the things he did that scared us (for my care) because I truly do not want my new dr (hopefully) to think Im "Dr shopping".....which is a HUGE problem for pain patients. It will take 2-3 weeks to get all my records over there, but my doctors want him to have everything, just in case he is not very familiar with Wegeners. I leave June 3-10 to go to Missouri to visit one of my Sisters, see my nieces, and Brother inLaw. One of my nieces is graduating High School. I get to be there! So when I get back, maybe I will have an answer. Love you all, and Thank you for making me laugh, and feel so grateful for your concerns......I just LOVE all my Weggie Friends, Yall are the BEST!!!!!!
    Life is a Gift~ Lilly

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

drz, most pain doctors are anestheiologists that do pain management after they retire from the OR, or just do it a couple days a week. That's really all that's out there. But obviously, some are better than others! And Im gonna find one! :-)
    Life is a Gift~ Lilly

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lilly, I LOVE the way you called that dr. on his ignorance and his attitude. Your description of his behaviour leads me to believe he's been partaking of too many pain meds himself, or perhaps mixing the wrong ones together. I'm sorry you had to go through that, but glad you stood up to him and are looking elsewhere. I hope you find someone much more empathetic and knowledgeable..
    Just when the caterpillar thought the world was over, she became a butterfly.
    - English proverb.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by vdub View Post

I'm not aware of having to tell someone they are being recorded. I do it all the time so I can listen again and make sure I didn't get anything mixed up.
    yes vdub. I believe you have to get permission in all 50 states. If you do not ask, it is considered illegal/wire tapping. I used to do commercial audio and video production, and the hoops I used to have jump through. It is the same in person as it is over phone lines. Do people do it all the time without permission? Yep, but people speed too, and speeding is illegal, but doesn't stop most folks. (-8
    MikeG-2012

"You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OMG! That's abuse!!! I went through something similar this past October. I wish I had been strong enough to yell at mine and tell him, "YOU ARE THE REASON I'M CRYING!!!" I was just wondering how you're doing now? If I don't take my oxycodone I just cry and pray in pain. I was on hydrocodone for almost 3 years, then I left THAT doctor cause he yelled at me and reduced my meds. So the one I see now switched me to oxycodone because my spine is so bad from CES, RA and CRPS. Nothing kills all the pain, but I'm thankful to get some relief!

Quote Originally Posted by Lilly View Post
    Dear Weggie friends, I have been in a dilemma for some time now. I chose a pain Dr. when I moved to Mobile, Al. after my divorce. I kindof interview them to see how they respond to me, and visa versa. I had a good one, then about 8 months ago the office changed Drs. The new one seemed good at first. Nice and friendly. Then on my second visit he seemed like a completely different person! I had my calendar out and my meds that he gives me. I usually tell my Dr. whats happened since my last visit (if something has happened he may need to know) and my bottles so he can count my pills to make sure I am taking them correctly, then usually a urine test, for the same reason. Well, he walked in, and looked at the bottles and my calendar book and said, "Whats all this?" I told him I had an incident with my wegeners he needed to know, and I thought he would want to count my pills. He said, "All I need to know is what medication you need, you can put all this up" So I got taken back by his attitude, it seemed like a different dr! I was embarrassed for having all that stuff on the table so I put it up, and got mad and tears started coming up in my eyes. He said, Whats wrong? Why are you crying? I told him I didn't want to talk about it, I just needed refills on the 3 meds he gives me. I sat down. THEN he asked me what I needed........WHY DID HE THINK I HAD THE BOTTLES ON THE TABLE? Not only that,,,,,,,The information on my meds should be in my file, which he DID NOT bring in the room! This is only the first incident. I am now looking for a new Dr. because he is taking me down on my strong meds, which I am glad of, because I was in the hospital, and they could not get me to sleep with the normal med to make you groggy to do the colonscopy because my tolerance to meds is so high. They gave me twice the amount, then my heart rate started to drop. So I agree with Mr. Mean Pain Dr. about taking me down on the strong meds. But I am going to get another Dr.Dr. Mean is different every time he comes in! He has written my prescriptions wrong 3 times! I had to go back and have him re-write them. My Mom comes with me almost EVERY time to all my Dr appts, and we go to Lunch after and visit. Well, 3 days ago, I went to him and he saw my mom and said "Hi, Im Dr. Mean (LOL), Who are you? Nice to meet you" OMG!!!!! Mom just looked at me and smiled and shook her head. He gave me my "new" prescriptions, to wean me off slowly, and I brought them to my pharmacy. When I picked them up, the pharmacist called me over, and told me that I am only supposed to take the extended release medication 2 times a day, because its in your system for 12 hours. But he had me taking it 3 times a day, every 8 hours. Ahhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!! Is he trying to kill me? So I was a wreck yesterday. Its hard to get a new pain dr. because you just don't know what you are getting and its hard to find one that understands wegeners, and that I have severe FACE pain. They just don't get it.
    If I told yall all this Dr. has done to me over the last 8 months, yall would think HE was a drug addict. Its like he meets me for the first time EVERY visit. He has told me I am an addict one time. Once when I was severly constipated, he came in and I was in a lot of pain, and kind of sitting forward, he said "whats wrong?" I said I did not feel well. He said, "you are shaking, are you hiding something?" I said "no", He said " you look guilty". I said, "then why don't you count my pills and give me a urine drug screen so you can trust me? You never do that. And have you done any research on wegeners? You still seem to think I cant have face pain. Have you talked to my EENT? Have you seen my sinus xrays, and the tubes in my eyes? The scabs I have to get out of my face every day? Do you care about me enough to do that? " He just walked out, sent his nurse in with my RX's and she said, "what happened in here?" I said I kindof confronted him and he walked out. She said, Lisa, you need another Dr. Find another Pain Dr. He is not all there, I cant say much, but find one.
    So I started looking. I cant find ONE that knows about wegeners! So since I work with my sister, (she got me a part time job doing ins.) She told me to take the day off and see if me and Mom and make some headway on finding a new Dr. So that's what Im going to do. I just had to vent. I was so upset yesterday, I left work early, came home, laid on my couch and cried myself to sleep. It was 3:30 in the afternoon. I woke up at 10pm, went into my room and slept all nite until 8am. I just called my Rite Aid I used before I moved out of my parents house to get a second opinion on the way he wrote the medication....taking it every 8 hrs instead of 12. She said it was fine, would not kill me! LOL But since I had a high tolerance, I may start getting pain before the 12 hours was up, so it was fine to take it that way because the dosage was 30mg instead of 60mg I was taking before. So I feel better about that!
    Sorry so long, I just had to get this off my chest to some people who understand the frustrations of this disease. Be careful with meds, take only what you need. I never took anything a Dr did not suggest we try for my pain. It started getting bad about 6 yrs ago. I never asked for a certain med, I don't know about any except Loritab I would take after a surgery. But that's hard on you liver, so Dr. would give me something else. Over the years, it just ended up that I was taking a strong med, so I want a Dr. who cares about me, and will remember who I am when they come in the room. Who will talk to my other Drs to get an Idea of what I need to take for the kind of pain I am having. So my search starts today......wish me luck, pray for me, whatever, Just need to find the right one. This stress is not good......Thanks for listening.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12