Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Raw eggs

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Default Raw eggs

I think I know what kind of response I'm going to get but I'm going to ask anyway as I haven't posted in a while....

It has been recommended to me to consume 1 raw egg plus various other ingredients in a morning shake when I wake up. The purpose of this shake is essentially to get the metabolism thumping from first thing in the morning.

Can I get some feedback an the egg? Bad? Good? Indifferent?

{Andrew sits back to view responses sipping a non egg-related beverage}
    Forum Administrator
    Diagnosed March 2003.
    Currently but not permanetly residing in Canberra, Australia.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LOL. Andrew, unless you're very strong and healthy and are also taking digestive enzymes, you shouldn't be eating raw eggs. Yes, they are an excellent source of raw protein, which is the purpose for drinking them in the morning. But the risk far outweighs the benefit in your case.

For raw protein, add some raw almond butter. (Peanut butter is inflammatory). Other good sources of raw protein throughout the day are : "rare" or "medium-rare" steak, thick-cut fish (shark, tuna, salmon) with the center not fully cooked, raw nuts and nut butters, and sprouts if you grow them yourself or buy them VERY fresh and rinse the heck out of them.

Sushi is okay if you're not on stomach acid blockers, pred or blood thinners, because you should take digestive enzymes when you eat it (to digest anyone you accidentally ingest). If you're on any of those drugs, taking enzymes is a big no-no and can cause gastric bleeding. Healthy people with healthy guts can eat sushi without a problem. Immune-compromised people shouldn't eat it without enzymes. I know you aren't going to put sushi in your morning shake, but someone is bound to ask about it!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

UK Government health advice is not to eat raw eggs due to the high incidence of bacterial infections, in particular Salmonella.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

These days eating raw eggs in definitely not indicated, but if you ever do, when I was little my mom and grandma would make this concoction called kogel-mogel made of raw egg yolk and sugar stirred until smooth. I used to love it now when I think of it I get shivers,
    Jolanta

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Thanks Sangye/Jack/Jola
    I'll steer clear then. Thanks Sangye for the suggestion of the ALmond butter. I'll go search for some. Probably in a health food shop yes?? Shame about ths Sushi, I love the stuff! I'm on Losec too. You're saying that I should take digestive Enzymes because I'm on Losec if I'm eating Sushi?
    Forum Administrator
    Diagnosed March 2003.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh, sorry. You definitely should not be eating raw eggs or sushi when you're taking an acid-blocker, because any bugs in your food get a free pass. Stomach acid normally protects us from those guys.

The only safe way immune-compromised people can eat those foods is by taking a digestive enzyme. But most Weggies can't even take enzymes because the combo of enzymes plus acid-blockers, pred and/or blood thinners can cause gastric bleeding.

You can get almond butter in health food stores. Sometimes you can grind it fresh. Mmmmmm.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

oooooooohhhhh damn ok. Looks like one of my favourite foods is down the tubes then *sobs*

I'll grab some almond butter from the health food shop. Grinding it fresh is just beyond me LOL. Thanks for the advice!!!
    Forum Administrator
    Diagnosed March 2003.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I miss sushi, too. Not that I could afford it anymore (it's crazy expensive in the US), but my taste buds don't know that.

I should have explained that many health food stores have self-serve ELECTRIC grinders you can use. But picturing you with a grinding bowl full of raw almonds was worth the giggle. (I made my own peanut butter in Africa that way. Very hard work!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For all sushi lovers, you do know that california rolls and such do not have raw fish sooooooo, feast on all cooked versions of sushi and satisfy your craving, I do and have had no problems
    Jolanta

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

*sigh* I know, I just miss the raw tuna and salmon....

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast