User Tag List

Likes Likes:  0
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: I whipped Wegeners today because....

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm surprised I haven't mentioned it before. I bought my MGA in 1971. It was my first car. In 1974, I put it in storage in a building on my parent's farm and it stayed there, untouched, until Mar '13 when I decided to get it running and enjoy it. I had to clean off 39 years of dust. Otherwise, it was in pretty good shape, except that everything made of rubber had to be replaced. I also replaced the entire fuel system, converted the car from positive ground to negative ground and put on an electronic ignition.... among a whole bunch of other stuff.

It's currently an ugly, ugly green. In a few weeks, I hope the car will be ready for paint -- I'm slowly inching toward that goal. We have decided to paint it a maroon red and the interior will be tan. I have already purchased the new tan carpet and upholstery, so I'm just waiting for paint. Hopefully, in a few months, it will look like this (clicky). When I was in the UK with you, I had a license plate made that says MY61 MGA -- I can't use it, but I still like it.

We bought a small "cabin" that I will use as a garage for the MG. Whenever, the time comes when I don't need the "garage" (i.e, I give the car to my daughter), we'll move the cabin to our timberland and use it as a real cabin. It will arrive on the 22nd -- I'll post a picture.

I'm feeling well and having fun. I haven't felt this good in 5 years. I think the key was going back on a light dose (5mg) of pred. Surprisingly, I'm not gaining a lot of weight over what I had gained the last time I was on pred (3 years ago).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

vdub, you didn't have to rebuild the engine or replace the seals in it or the transmission?
    Phil Berggren, dx 2003

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Surprisingly, no. The engine and trans are in excellent condition -- I just had to change the oil (same with the differential).

The MG engine was used in many, many cars (to include the Morris Minor) and was used in industry to power pumps, generators, etc. It is a very strong engine. You can get 150,000 miles before a rebuild if it is treated properly. Many of the MG's however, weren't treated properly. They were built in the era of racing and the A model (mine) is the last of the pure race cars. It has aluminum body parts to keep the weight low and is very sparse on things we take as standard, such as windows (it doesn't have any) or door handles (you have to pull an inside cable). It is a very fun car to drive, very responsive, and all with just 88hp. The B model MG and the competition (Triumph TR-6, etc) started to get "gentrafied" after about 1962 or 1963 and they took the fun out of driving.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What year is your MGA? I went to school with a guy that has a MGA and TR-6. I liked driving them. Very fun cars.
    Phil Berggren, dx 2003

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mine is a 1961, 1600cc... It has 61,237 miles on it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

After a very busy month and a half of dr visits, drug interactions, a hospital stay, family visiting, traveling to Ft. Rucker, Alabama for my SIL's CWO-1 commissioning, I finally have my house back to normal and peace and quiet.
    I love my family and grands to pieces, but they still don't seem to understand that I get very tired rather quickly.
    So getting up and getting my house back in order is an accomplishment!
    I've got two summer blouses cut out and ready to be sewn, as well as my cross stitch frame set up and ready to finish a Civil War scene for hubby. Yea, I think I whipped that Wegs pretty good.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

but they still don't seem to understand that I get very tired rather quickly.
    Yes, same as the rest of us -- "Gee, you don't look sick." :-(

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It sounds like you are doing great, well done !! keep up the good work Acker

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am whipping WG already for couple of days because I have made my way to canada, visiting Phil now I need to see how we are going to whip his WG
    Alysia
    dx 2008

Here, in this forum, I have found my sweet eternal love, my beautiful Phil.. :
    https://www.wegeners-granulomatosis.com/forum/threads/4238-pberggren-memorial-thread
    "You are my sunshine", he used to sing to me... "you make me happy, when skies are grey" I still answer him.
    Rest in Peace, my brave Batman and take care of your weggies from heaven, until we meet again.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011