Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Then and Now

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Then and Now

I was looking at some of the pictures in my albums on FB and decided I don't want to get any older!! 7 short years ago I looked fairly good. Still overweight, but not as bad (50 lbs less.) Face hadn't fallen yet.....lol. In my very humble opinion I looked good.

Considering I hate to have my picture taken, always have, I was surprised there were so many older pics. That's good for the kids and grandies. Maybe what I want to say is that I looked healthy? I don't know. This is sort of a ramble/reminisce type of thread.

I do know that at 60 my face headed south. Need a face lift now and of course to lose weight. Always had a problem with a double chin even when I weighed what I was supposed to. I've now graduated to a triple and I don't like it very much.

As anyone over 60 will tell you, aging "ain't" for sissies. It is inevitable, and I'm not fighting it, (probably sounds like it, but truly I'm not,) but I do want to get to feeling well enough to at least start walking and lose some, if not all, of the 30 pred pounds.

So to end on a high note, I did look good 7 years ago.
    Cindy

Earth is just a stopover and whatever you achieve there is only a small part of the deal. The Afterlife Of Billy Fingers

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh, Cindy, do I ever hear ya!! My face is not the only thing that needs lifting!!!
    My husband put a before WG pic of us in my medical folder so whenever we went to a diff doc he could see what I used to look like, healthy and smaller.
    Thanks for going down memory lane

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you for understanding and empathizing. I changed my pic to one of me in 2006.

Did I forget to mention that my hair is STILL falling out 2 months post CTX. I'm down to about 1/3 of the hair that I had. I have to get it cut to short style like the pic I just added. I know it will grow back eventually but in the meantime,,,,,,,
    Cindy

Earth is just a stopover and whatever you achieve there is only a small part of the deal. The Afterlife Of Billy Fingers

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by windchime View Post
    Thank you for understanding and empathizing. I changed my pic to one of me in 2006.

Did I forget to mention that my hair is STILL falling out 2 months post CTX. I'm down to about 1/3 of the hair that I had. I have to get it cut to short style like the pic I just added. I know it will grow back eventually but in the meantime,,,,,,,
    Hi Cindy,

I empathize about the pred pounds. I'm holding steady at about 13 pounds above pre-wegs. Seem to be losing about a pound every three months. You're right, aging isn't for sissies. I learned the hard way not to attribute new aches and pains to aging (I'm 67.), but to check with my doc to find out if the wegs dog has awakened.

Regarding your hair loss: Are you taking folic acid? When my rheumy put me on mtx, she also Rxed 1 mg/day of folic acid to prevent hair loss. Two years in, it seems to be working.

Good luck!!
    Pete
    dx 1/11

"Every day is a good day. Some are better than others." - unknown

"Take your meds as directed and live your life as fully as you can." - Michael Chacey, MD

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It doesn't matter what we look like on the outside. It matters where are heart is.
    Phil Berggren, dx 2003

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Every time a new wrinkle, grey hair or 'lump' catches me off guard, I tell myself that aging is much better than the alternative! I understand why you're upset though, and I think this is tougher than women than for men because we are always judged by appearance and held to such unattainable standards. I wish I could go back to my 20-year-old self and tell her she looked hot in a bikini and to quit complaining! If only she knew what was coming down the pike... All of that said, I agree with Phil, AND you are beautiful now too. I also love older women who are at peace with their grey hair and lumps and bumps and hope to come to that place one day... In the meantime, I still get very upset about the fact that my hair is thinning. It's hard not to. I keep thinking I should take more pics now, while I still look 'ok', because who knows what will happen next? I'm always the photographer...
    Just when the caterpillar thought the world was over, she became a butterfly.
    - English proverb.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you Pete, Phil and Lisa.

Pete, yes I've been taking folic acid at a 800 mcg since I can't split the pill to get 1mg. So I take 1 400 twice a day. Thanks for the advice.

Phil, thank you for your kind words.

Lisa, Yes we are held to unattainable standards, but I'm not upset over that. I think it's merely an observation with a little (or a lot I'm not even sure) mourning the loss of youth. Until the last year or so I did not look 60. I was told that all the time. Of course this constant illness has sapped my strength and has taken it's toll, even if it's just the stress.

I haven't attended my daily skin care routines as I use to (and I'm an esthetician.) Hate admitting that one. I feel like I'm starting to feel better so maybe there is hope on the horizon that some sort of routine will return. I hope so as I'm the kind of person that likes a regular type of schedule. I miss the daily routine of getting ready for work, working, coming home, etc. I think most that are not working now can relate to that. But as you said it's much better than the alternative. This side of the grass is much greener.

Nuff said for now. I could wax poetic on this subject for awhile, but I won't. Rest assured though I'm not sad or upset. I think it's just a little mourning for lost youth, which includes both looks and physical limitations. I'm truly not depressed.

Insights on aging are welcome here.
    Cindy

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There are many stages in life. This life is very short. We only have one chance to get it right. Growing old is just a part of life. I have friends from all ages. From 6 to 96.
    Phil Berggren, dx 2003

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dear Cindy
    I understand your mourning. although I am younger, I do feel sadness and fears about the losses that I already have and about those which are coming, with aging and with wg I mourn my saddle nose as well...
    you are beautiful. 7 years ago, today and tomorow. inside and outside. I love you just as you are
    Alysia
    dx 2008

Here, in this forum, I have found my sweet eternal love, my beautiful Phil.. :
    https://www.wegeners-granulomatosis.com/forum/threads/4238-pberggren-memorial-thread
    "You are my sunshine", he used to sing to me... "you make me happy, when skies are grey" I still answer him.
    Rest in Peace, my brave Batman and take care of your weggies from heaven, until we meet again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think if we all know now,if we would of known it when we were younger we might of done things different, done more.But you can't live by should a, could a , would a,just have to except the cards given us and live the best we can now cause who knows what tomorrow brings.
    Life isn't about how you survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain !

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast