Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nausea?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Nausea?

So, I've been on mtx since Feb 4th. Started on 15mg (6), and in mid April was upped to 20mg (8) and started tapering down the prednisone. The only problem I've had with it is fatigue. However, for the last few days, I've had intermittent nausea, some mild stomach pains and no appetite at all. Could the mtx be affecting me this way after 3.5 months? No stomach bugs going around the office (that I know of).

Any thoughts?
    "You don't have a soul. You are a soul. You have a body." C.S. Lewis

http://www.sensinganenemy.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was very nauseous on methotrexate but it was from the very beginning. I don't know whether it can be a delayed response. My rheumatologist increased my folic acid and when that still didn't help switched me to something else (probably irrelevant to you because it was to treat RA, but I was on plaquenil all along and he added sulfasalizine instead of methotrexate). I think they try mtx first because they're obliged to because it's the cheapest. If you can't tolerate it, then they can move on to another option. I could be wrong but if I understood (and remembered what I understood) correctly, that is the case at least in Canada. So if it makes you sick maybe you can get an alternative...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Jen, I just read your other thread. so maybe the nausea is part of the cold....
    Alysia
    dx 2008

Here, in this forum, I have found my sweet eternal love, my beautiful Phil.. :
    https://www.wegeners-granulomatosis.com/forum/threads/4238-pberggren-memorial-thread
    "You are my sunshine", he used to sing to me... "you make me happy, when skies are grey" I still answer him.
    Rest in Peace, my brave Batman and take care of your weggies from heaven, until we meet again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, the mtx can affect you that way for as long as you take it. And, you've changed dosage, so that's kind of like starting over. Try splitting the dose over a 12 hour or even 24 hour period, some even take it overnight so as to sleep thru any ill effects. Best to you.
    Knowing how to think empowers you far beyond those who only know what to think. -NdT

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I also split the dose, which helps a lot, and try to take it with food. Any part of the dose that is overnight can be slept through, in my experience. I used to still feel weird, slightly nauseous and dizzy, if I got up in the night, or during the next day; however, lately this has not been a problem.... this is after having been on MTX for a year and a half or more, I guess. Upping the dose or changing the generic maker can make a difference, too.... this happened recently to me with changing makers, but I got over it. We can get used to these drugs; it may take longer for some than others. I have never been on higher than 15mg. and might expect to feel a little something if I were to go to 20mg.
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the replies. Alysia, my sister isn't having stomach issues with her cold/sinus stuff. I think its the mtx. I was just unsure if it would affect me this late. I'll keep an eye on this, too. Oh, and I'll split my dose.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default MTX Nausea Yes! Zofran helped

Quote Originally Posted by godgirl View Post
    So, I've been on mtx since Feb 4th. Started on 15mg (6), and in mid April was upped to 20mg (8) and started tapering down the prednisone. The only problem I've had with it is fatigue. However, for the last few days, I've had intermittent nausea, some mild stomach pains and no appetite at all. Could the mtx be affecting me this way after 3.5 months? No stomach bugs going around the office (that I know of).

Any thoughts?
    I had nausea from my first dose of MTX and took it for three years. The nausea never went away. That started in 2000. I don't think they used Zofran then but they gave that to me in the hospital and it has been a GODSEND! I've had nausea for 14 years and without the Zofran (odanestron?) nothing else helped except sleep. Ginger tea was mildly comforting.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Green Grass & High Tides View Post
    I had nausea from my first dose of MTX and took it for three years. The nausea never went away. That started in 2000. I don't think they used Zofran then but they gave that to me in the hospital and it has been a GODSEND! I've had nausea for 14 years and without the Zofran (odanestron?) nothing else helped except sleep. Ginger tea was mildly comforting.
    I was given ondansetron in the ER after a severe vertigo episode during which I'd been vomiting. It worked like a charm. I was given a prescription for it, which I filled. I keep the ondansetron around but rarely use it, and haven't needed it for dizziness episodes; however, if I feel any nausea for any reason, I dissolve one in my mouth (it has a pleasant minty taste) and it works very fast. An example was what happened last night when I coughed so hard that I retched and became nauseous, and this pill did the trick in short order. I imagine it would help anyone who suffers nausea from MTX or any of our meds. I don't know if there'd be any ill effects from long term or frequent use, but I'd sure look into it if I had that problem to any great degree.
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hadn't thought to try it. I have a prescription for it, but I take it when I have a migraine. I just don't want to have to take it 24/7, you know?

I did split the dose and it has helped somewhat. At this point, it is just irritating. I'm not throwing up, just queasy a lot. Oh, well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Zofran Side effects

Quote Originally Posted by annekat View Post
    I was given ondansetron in the ER after a severe vertigo episode during which I'd been vomiting. It worked like a charm. I was given a prescription for it, which I filled. I keep the ondansetron around but rarely use it, and haven't needed it for dizziness episodes; however, if I feel any nausea for any reason, I dissolve one in my mouth (it has a pleasant minty taste) and it works very fast. An example was what happened last night when I coughed so hard that I retched and became nauseous, and this pill did the trick in short order. I imagine it would help anyone who suffers nausea from MTX or any of our meds. I don't know if there'd be any ill effects from long term or frequent use, but I'd sure look into it if I had that problem to any great degree.
    Good Morning Weggies! Another beautiful day in paradise! Thanks for responses yesterday. I'm not much of a responder but want to document some of my 16 year weggie trail for others who may come this way.

SIDE EFFECTS: For me...works great for a week then I get a headache. I can't take more than two 4 mg pills per day or the headache starts sooner and lasts longer. It's best use for me is when on vacation or doing something in the mornings where I can't lay down due to nausea. If I start slow, ease into the coffee and food, stay away from factory farmed foods... the nausea is more manageable.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast